Thumbs up Wordpress vs Dreamweaver
    Is it better to make a Website with Dreamweaver or a Blog with Wordpress
    I know Dreamweaver pretty well but I will have to learn Word press if that is the better option. By just glancing it seems that wordpress is more limiting
    My goal is to build a site heavy on content on my nich, then as I get traffic
    work on some affilate programs.

By just glancing it seems that wordpress is more limiting
    I know where you're coming from on that - free-form HTML is quite liberating! Wordpress is more limiting, programming-wise (need some expertise to work under the hood), but far more suitable for a content-driven site. If it's properly set up, you can churn out articles at a good pace, without manual intervention.

Having said that, I would actually start with Dreamweaver - launch a basic site, see how it ranks, and then move forward with WP.

Many might disagree with me on this point, but there are hidden pitfalls to CMS templates & plug-ins, you need to know your ranking so you don't take any accidental missteps (seeing how a site ranks before & after could be useful)

Just my two cents worth, and based on personal experience with both apps.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks, I use dreamweaver(CSS) to build sites for my real job.
    Wp is one less thing I have to learn right now!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I have used Dreamweaver for years so know all the good things it brings but since your site will be heavy on content then go with Wordpress.

The only time I do not suggest WP if your site will have internal sensative content but if all or most of your pages will be in the open then WP is great. However, you should keep a backup of your content on your hard drive too, that is a must for anything you do online but specially using WP.

6. Thanks From:

I speak as a non techie, and an old one at that, for people in a similar position I believe WP is easier option.

WP is all set up and using the default theme you could have a site up and running in minutes. It doesn't take much more work to change to another theme, design a great layout, add plugins and much much more without the need for any techie knowledge.

I did learn some basic HTML, which I would advise any newcomer to do, and can now build sites with the best of 'em.

I'm not putting WP up as better then Dreamweaver but as an easier option for a beginner eager to get started.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lvtodesign View Post
    Thanks, I use dreamweaver(CSS) to build sites for my real job.
    Wp is one less thing I have to learn right now!
    Yaa! Even few years back when I started my career with working on Dreamweaver I too had the exact same reaction. But I would say that once you learn Wordpress and playing with it you won't ever look back to any of its rivals. Well I would say both has got its own advantages and disadvantages its up to you which one you are more comfortable with.

I prefer WordPress blog instead of Dreamweaver.
    The plug ins by WordPress always effective as per SEO perspective. And mostly WordPress blogs are always on top of the Google it do not need more marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    I prefer WordPress blog instead of Dreamweaver.
    The plug ins by WordPress always effective as per SEO perspective. And mostly WordPress blogs are always on top of the Google it do not need more marketing
    Think again, WP is good it is what I use, but it certainly has no favoured status and believe me it does require as much effort as any site.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    Think again, WP is good it is what I use, but it certainly has no favoured status and believe me it does require as much effort as any site.
    I believe that the quality of code that makes up WordPress indeed does have favored status vs. most dreamweaver coded sites, especially when configured with the right seo plugins and a well coded theme... But perception does create reality!

Why do I say there is indeed an advantage with WordPress? Well, the team of nerds who keep wordpress updated is incredible... Then the teams of nerds creating the WP plugins and themes are also quite incredible.

I've been to WordCamp SF... I've heard Matt Mullenweg (one of the founders of WordPress) address over 700 developers, bloggers and marketers about The State of Wordpress, and I can say first hand that the culture behind WordPress far outweighs anything I've ever seen, including dreamweaver.

You can either leverage the combined knowledge of thousands of world-wide WordPress contributors... Or, you can try to figure out how to do everything in Dreamweaver. Choice is yours!

Personally, I never made it through the learning curve of Dreamweaver to get to where I could consistently publish pages of content that looked good and quickly hit the 1st page of Google. (hence my perception creates reality comment above) But, within a year after my switch over to Wordpress, I was generating enough traffic and revenue to go full time from home... Which was my ultimate goal.

12. Thanks From:

My personal favorite is Dreamweaver. I find easy to work with; I am not a fancy website designer or something, just an average user, but it is much easier for me to work on my personal website with the help of this program.

and... I am not familiar at all with Wordpress!

Smile hi there
    why to go with the Dreamweaver ? If automatic plugins are there in Wordpress for SEO perspective. Why lot of people are preferring using Dreamweaver. Since as I went through different tutorials WP does not need more SEO efforts.

Here is a site I just built with Wordpress.

[REMOVED LINK]

In today's world online, you need to offer site visitors the ability
    to comment, share and interact with the site.

Dreamweaver is handy for easy coding, but Wordpress Rocks.

Just Sayin..

Cheri Faline
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; November 9th, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed link

Quote Originally Posted by cherifaline View Post
    Here is a site I just built with Wordpress.

[REMOVED LINK]

In today's world online, you need to offer site visitors the ability
    to comment, share and interact with the site.

Dreamweaver is handy for easy coding, but Wordpress Rocks.

Just Sayin..

Cheri Faline
    Hi Cheri,

Newbies cannot add links to their posts. Please read the forum rules. There is a link to them in my signature.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

wordpress is definitely what you need.. once you learn about it.. plus there is a lot of themes and templates design, plugins to tweak your blog.. what dreamweaver don't have...

I will say this much, I started creating websites years back with FrontPage, then wanted to learn DW and tried to.....but I was introduced to Wordpress and whamo! Learning curve was really small and helped me learn so much more.
    Seriously, there is a lot to be said for capitalizing on the experience and creativity of others like is done so often using Wordpress.
    Go for it!

Hi all . For me WordPress is much better that any CMS or Dreamweaver . i start learn WordPress one year ago and now I can create any type of website that I want . For me WordPress is not just a tool for blog building , It"s a website constructor tool .

Affiliate Manager
    I really like dreamweaver, but you're gonna need to integrate a good CMS into it.
    WP is fine, but you'll have little control over your content design.
    What type of content is it?

21. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread