Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    GAN: Creating better relationships and improving productivity
    Google Affiliate Network has just published the following:

Creating better relationships and improving productivity

We’ve been amazed at the adoption of the recommendation engine, a new tool that helps advertisers and publishers find new relationships and links based on relevance and revenue potential. Google Affiliate Network now sees over half of all new relationships being created from our recommendations. Today, we’re excited to share new enhancements that further simplify the process of creating relationships and getting links.

For publishers:

Creating relationships
    The Advertisers tab includes three sub-tabs to help you easily sort through new opportunities.

• Recommended is now the default view for the Advertisers tab, featuring a customizable list of available advertiser programs that Google algorithms predict may be a good fit for you.
    • Invitations are from advertisers that want to work with you -- including those with private programs. To join, just click the ‘Join’ button for that invitation.
    • Browse existing shows the status of advertiser programs you’ve already applied to.
    Getting the best links
    The Links tab features recommendations for links that we estimate will perform well for you, and we now include new criteria for recommendations, like Staff picks and Exclusive opportunities. You can still view ‘Browse all links’ to search for links as normal. You'll also notice three new sub-tabs – we've consolidated Products and Subscriptions under the Links tab.

• Recommended links are ranked primarily based on average earnings.
    • Staff picks are curated by Google Affiliate Network account teams based on relevant performance or seasonality.
    • Exclusive opportunities feature links only available through Google Affiliate Network.
    For advertisers:

Creating relationships
    The Publishers tab includes three sub-tabs to help you easily sort through high-potential publishers that may be a good fit for your program.

• Recommended is now the default view for the Publishers tab. New search filters enable you to quickly narrow down the list of publishers that are a good fit.
    • Pending makes it easy for you to review publishers and quickly approve them in bulk. We sort publishers by relevance to help you approve the best recommendations first.
    • Browse existing shows the status of publishers that you’ve already taken action on, as well as any non-joined publishers you can recruit.
    Please let us know what you think by posting a comment here or in the Google Affiliate Network forum.

Posted by:
    Ali Pasha, Product Manager
    Robin Anil, Software Engineer

Read More From Creating better relationships and improving productivity...

2. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    It is nice to see all these fancy tools...But,

How about a simple list of my existing merchants, something basic like a drop-down window where I can scan through all my merchants and click to their detail pages.

I believe I've asked for this before but nobody cares(unless I missed it somewhere).

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    How about being able to search for merchants in a category or by a product keyword?

Don't want "suggestions" -
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

5. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Don't want "suggestions" -
    I was going to say that but edited it out thinking that it might hurt somebody's feeling...

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    How about some more important, basic things, like being able to track sales in all browsers including Safari, and a link generator that when you search for a product it actually returns links for the product you want?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

8. Thanks From:

Do we have a thread here which collects these sorts of affiliate requirements/requests, and compares the big networks to list who does what?

Reminds me of web hosting providers - they list 3 offerings in columns (beginner, advanced, professional), then to the left side they have features with each column containing checkmarks if the package includes that.

Seems a listing like that would help parse out who does what correctly... And if we promote it hard enough, maybe it would provide some motivation for networks to improve where they are getting beat (for the benefit of affiliates).

Like so...

Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure if there are affiliates asking for these features, as fas as I can see,

"Recommended" -- are whole bunch of merchants I'm not interested in
    "Invitations"-- I have already been bothered enough by those "invitation" emails
    "Browse existing" -- Nothing different than before

Networks really should ask users(in my case, affiliates) before rolling out new tools, at least do a survey or something. After all, it is the user who matters. Affiliates are the ones use the interface and tools. Who knows better than your affiliates about what they need the most?

Perhaps this is a better way to make affiliate suggestions, put networks side by side, and maybe get someone to listen:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...ml#post1132465
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

it is great to see GAN has started to make changes in advertiser account. but still one big feature is missing is Affiliate Newsletter.

13. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thank you Ali and Robin.

> one big feature is missing is Affiliate Newsletter

1 - Yes, we need this. We should be able to send newsletters within GAN and third party externally but most merchants and affiliates like to have the option of either opt-in or not. So would be great to have both so merchants and affiliates can decide and keep control.

2 - under Publishers >> Recommended >> Find publsihers can we find and list publishers by either 'This publisher was invited' or Invite Publisher? Reason is if we have already invited 200 then those will show up first on the right or mixed in and we have to scroll through the list to keep finding the non-invites, etc.

3 - the other day it showed the 'Quantity' number of how many publishers were pending. Would be great to have that back in to actually see and compare publishers that may be missing to join, recommended, active and pending.

Or the ability to have more than one feed download location. Some people have websites on different servers...

Thank you for your feedback.

First, a lot of these changes were prompted by how users use the product. We track metrics closely and we try to base decisions on those metrics. That said, we do take feedback very seriously.

Advertiser recommendations should be treated simply as a ranked recruiting list. I agree that we should add the ability to filter by category and keyword. In fact, if you look to the left or the recommendations you'll see the filters that allow you to do exactly that.

I also agree that we should remove invited publishers from recommended publishers. I've filed a bug on that internally and will push that change through as soon as we can. We can also add an 'invited' filter to the 'Browse existing' so that you can find people you have invited quickly.

We are also going to add the ability to quickly dismiss invitations so that they can be ignored.

I also filed a bug to add the ability to have more than one feed download location.

You can get product links through the 'Links' tab and 'Products' sub-tab. Can you clarrify on what you mean by a link generator?

Can you also clarify what you mean by a simple list of existing merchants? You can get to that by clicking on the 'Advertisers' page and then 'Browse existing'.

Thanks you,

Ali
    Product Manager
    Last edited by Google Affiliate Network Moderator; September 7th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Google Affiliate Network
    Blog | Help Center
    Follow us on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Google Affiliate Network Moderator View Post
    First, a lot of these changes were prompted by how users use the product. We track metrics closely and we try to base decisions on those metrics.
    That's the problem right there - tracking users' usage mentality.

You can't track what you don't offer. How can you track an affiliate trying to find merchants by keywords? You can't. Function doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Convergence; September 7th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.

18. Thanks From:

I see recommended advertisers and advertisers that invited me, but what happened to the long list of all advertisers available in GAN? I can only apply now to affiliate programs Google allows me to? What happened to letting the merchants decide? Unless I am missing something here.

ABW Ambassador
    Can you also clarify what you mean by a simple list of existing merchants? You can get to that by clicking on the 'Advertisers' page and then 'Browse existing'.

Thanks you,

Ali
    Product Manager
    A list of existing merchants - one line with mutiple colums containing basic info about the merchants such as name, catrgory, commission rate, conversion rate, referral days...like Avantlink has.

Or, like CJ, Linkshare and ShareASale has, with a drop-down window listing all existing merchants. When you click on the merchant name, it brings you to the merchant's detail page.

Right now, on GAN 'Browse existing', with each merchant's detail is displaying on the list, I have to go through pages and pages to find a specific one. Or I can do a search, but the search function might not always be working, especially when I don't remember the exact name of a merchant.

A drop-down window will be good for a quick glance of the existing merchants. And if I find the one I want, I can click on it and go to its detail info page.

21. Thanks From:

Hello,

You can select browse existing to view the status of your approved, pending and declined advertisers.

Thank you,

Jamie
    Google Affiliate Network
    Blog | Help Center
    Follow us on Google+

Jamie,

"Browsing" a list of hundreds of merchants is not practical...

ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

You can select browse existing to view the status of your approved, pending and declined advertisers.

Thank you,

Jamie
    Jamie, I'm not sure who's feedback you were directing to. Clearify please?

I agree with Convergence that a better search is needed. But, my issue is being able to apply to merchants that I have no relationship with yet. I am only limited to invited and "recommended" in that regard. Before, we would be able to see all the merchants with which we had no relationship.

For example, Chico's/White House/etc. sent an e-mail that they are switching to GAN. But, I am unable to find them on the Advertisers tab even though they obviously want to continue working together. They aren't located under "Recommended", "Invited", or "Existing". This is not a very practical set-up and creates lots of extra unnecessary work to figure out who to ask to get invited or somehow get Google to "recommended" them to me.

Before we would be able to see all of the advertisers in GAN, and that option should still be there (with the exception of private programs of course). Like I said before, maybe I missing where this master list is.

26. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Jamie, are you/GAN redesigning the interface? I couldn't find "available" merchants link anywhere.

Other than "Recommended, Invitations and Browse Existing", how do I browse all other available merchants?

I remember I can filter it by changing the "relationshop status". Now I only see "Approved, Pending, Declined, Deactivated".

Is the "available merchants" link hiding somewhere else?

Hi,

You can browse a list of available merchants under Advertisers>Recommended (this is the available list). You can then also search by name, category, payout rank and countries. Increase the number of rows to view in order to see more than 10 advertiser at a time.

Thank you for all of your product suggestion and ideas!

Jamie
    Google Affiliate Network
    Blog | Help Center
    Follow us on Google+

A couple of comments:

1) 1-10 results... there is NO spot which actually tells you the total results. I was confused, and thought one store only had 10 links. Pagination needs to be more clear (with total # available).

2) New ordering of links - I use the interface to see NEW links, and liked the default sort, which was by start date. You have changed the sort order to "highest performing" now, which means I have to to re-sort after every login. It would be nice to set that user preference... and I'm guessing most users log in to see what's new first.

And I might be splitting hairs here.. but it's misleading to call a list of all merchants "recommended". Perhaps there should be different wording - all is all, and a subset would be "recommended' based on the location/category criteria.
    Last edited by teezone; September 18th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

30. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Hi,
    You can browse a list of available merchants under Advertisers>Recommended (this is the available list).
    Jamie
    So you are recommending ALL available merchants to affiliates. I have no idea that's how it works. I thought it is some new method GAN came up with to match affiliates and merchants. No wonder I'm getting those merchants not even in my niches on my "recommended" list.

If "Recommended"="Available Merchants", it really shouldn't be called "recommended". It jsut adds more confusion...

Affiliate Manager
    GAN Progress
    Hi,

As a merchant I would like to thank GAN for the improvements that have been made in the past couple of months on both the Merchant and Affiliate side of the interface.

The reporting is the best I have seen in the industry.

That being said, I do agree with the publishers that the interface is confusing when trying to join new programs.

Once you go to the "Recommended" link and then you go to "Advertiser Category" you must click on the drop down arrow.

Finally, you must place your cursor directly in the box and click so that a list of available all merchants will appear by category.

It took me a few minutes to figure out that I have to click on the box, I though the data did not load and there was an error initially which is what probably happens to alot of people.

See screen shots below.

Hope this helps.

It would be easier if this was fixed though so that people can find the programs easier in a click or so.

thanks!

Amy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I recall that we (Affiliates) used to be able to search for Merchants by Category. This USEFUL function disappeared when all of this "new and improved" stuff came out a year or two ago.
    :coffeetim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast