West Chester, Ohio
    SMS: Follow These 5 Guidelines For SEO Content Success
    Search Marketing Standard has just published the following:

Follow These 5 Guidelines For SEO Content Success

SEO certainly isnít dead (as some so-called experts may be proclaiming).* However, it certainly is evolving.* If you think that you can find SEO success simply by adding some keywords to the meta information on your site and by adding some inbound links from any old site that you can find a link opportunity, you will be disappointed.* The search engines want to provide users with the best possible results and the businesses that are finding the most search engine success are the ones that are providing Internet users with great information in the form of content, which has become the focus of any good SEO campaign.* Adding keywords naturally to content is still an important function of SEO, but it really requires much more than that.

Follow these guidelines when creating content (on site or off site) in order for it to have any impact:

1.* Avoid promotional speak

The purpose of online marketing content is to get your brand noticed by target audience members.* What kind of information are they looking for?* By helping them solve a problem or providing more information about your industry you are able to establish your business as a thought leader in the industry.* If you prove that you ďknow your stuff,Ē these prospects will be more likely to remember you when it comes time for them to buy.* People donít like to feel like they are being pitched to.* If your marketing content is primarily promotional, itís no different than an advertisement for your products or services and is more likely to be ignored.

2.* The majority should be original

There is so much content out there on the web that itís tempting to simply point target audience members in the right direction, as opposed to creating content of your own.* Itís OK to use this tactic every once in a while as long as you are linking to the original source, but you donít want to do it all of the time.* The purpose of content marketing is to share your thoughts and opinions, not the thoughts and opinions of others.* If you are just rehashing what everyone else is saying or even worse, just linking out to it without any insight of your own, prospects wonít really be able to get to know what your company stands for.

3.* Keep it ďthickĒ

As opposed to ďthinĒ.* The search engines perceive content that doesnít have many words (think less than 400) to provide little value to readers.* When creating content, make it a goal to keep it above 500 words.

4.* Make sure that itís relevant

It can be challenging to think of content topics that pertain to a business or industry which is why many businesses make the mistake of going astray and creating content that has very little to do with what they offer.* You donít want your content to cause any kind of brand confusion.* In addition, non-focused content can result in attracting the wrong kinds of visitors (that will never convert) to your site.

5.* Add social sharing buttons

Social media is no longer just for branding and now plays an integral role in SEO.* The search engines consider social signals (Shares, Likes, Re-Tweets, etc.) when ranking content.* Make it easy for people to share your valuable content with their networks by including social sharing buttons.

Image: Blueprints by Shutterstock

Save 50% on Search Marketing Standard Magazine; use Coupon Code "ABW50" - Offer expires 12/31/2012

Read More From Follow These 5 Guidelines For SEO Content Success...

2. Thanks From:

Beautiful Wales
    I have always taken issue with the principle of point 3, viz writing content of 400-500 words in all cases.

Whilst in creating a presence and building the site will require plenty of relevant information, if I want to post news of a say a new product or pricing/discounts a short succinct piece conveying my message quickly will suffice.

After all I don't want visitors trawling through a long article, I want them to click through and buy my latest offer.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Park City Utah
    I think it refers to the total content on the page so if you have a blog with several posts about promos/deals then its not 500 per post.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread