How long should Website be up and running
    How long should a website be up and running before looking for affliates and/or adsense to promote. Looking at the big picture, Is it best to try to get the traffic and high ratings before trying to make money with a site? Does adsense or affililate links hurt page ranking?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lvtodesign View Post
    How long should a website be up and running before looking for affliates and/or adsense to promote. Looking at the big picture, Is it best to try to get the traffic and high ratings before trying to make money with a site? Does adsense or affililate links hurt page ranking?

First, you don't add "affiliates". You are the affiliate - you add "merchants".

You can monetize your site from day one if done properly. By properly I mean have a good balance with your site's purpose and monetization efforts. If you have a good balance then neither displaying PPC ads nor affiliate links should hurt page rankings.

The trick is to find what works for your site...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by lvtodesign View Post
    Just as long as the affiliate product you're promoting is related to your website. There's nothing wrong with adding Ads from day one. Most cases people will no longer visit your site once you start adding Ads so do it from day one.

Affiliate Manager
    Most cases people will no longer visit your site once you start adding Ads so do it from day one.
    --interesting point

Some merchant's might initially turn you away if you don't have established traffic to your site but you can always reapply, especially if you're building a site that is content-rich and specific to their niche.
    Mike Hourigan
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.shoeboxed.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=signature%2B&utm_campaign=abestweb"]Shoeboxed.com[/URL]
    [EMAIL="mikeh@team.shoeboxed.com"]Email[/EMAIL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=131457835&trk=tab_pro"]LinkedIn[/URL]

It does not make sense to add advertising to the site if you have no traffic, it prevents you working on your website (in my opinion) . So first you need to get traffic for your website and then you will choose how you can use your website traffic .

Okay, you might think I'm conservative, like to stay out of trouble,,,that sort of thing, but I never add affiliate links until I have got some good content on a website. First impressions with Google count. They love to see quality, unique content, the more the better. Posts, pages, videos, outbound links to other RELEVANT sites. That sort of thing.

I wouldn't put Adsense or banner ads at the top of a site to begin with especially. The recent Google algorithm updates have stated they don't like this. I can't give you the link, but I've recently written a post on my website explaining the no - nos. Post is called SEO Tips and Things to Avoid in 2013. Anyway, the other point is cloaked text affiliate links are good added naturally throughout your content. If you add images, you can add your affiliate link in there.

Is it best to try to get the traffic and high ratings before trying to make money with a site?
    The thing about making money and getting traffic and higher rankings is you need to get the traffic FIRST! Who is going to see your ads to make the money if you don't have rankings yet? Ramping up the social media interaction may help here.
    Good luck
    Catherine

Affiliate Manager
    agree with previous, don't turn your website in a xmass tree, saturated with ads, but simply put a few links on the site that are relevant to your content.

Marketing Manager
    As an affiliate manager, I don't accept websites that are, "under construction," but if your site is fully designed and has relevant content on it, I will accept it to the program.

I also mostly agree with CatherineK. Don't put ads directly at the top of every page of your blog when it's brand new or ever. You may get a higher CTR but most visitors should be coming to your site to consume your content, not click on an ad. If the main purpose of your blog is to get visitors to click on an ad, you won't get many visitors.

Thumbs up
    It does not depends whether your site is up for 1 day, 1 month or 1 year, All that matters is traffic and content. If you got good content and nice traffic you can monetize right away.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I agree with Nathan. I want to see a site with good content before I'll approve it into any of my merchants' programs. You'd be amazed at how many apply with content on the home page, then when I click to other pages a little deeper, it's still all dummy type. I reject 'em in a heartbeat!

People, know when constructing your sites, good AM's will check multiple pages, so don't try to get away with something here!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Tax Paying Member
    Another interesting concept is that you need your product/merchant up front because you develop content around the product.

I hate the term blog......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

13. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    Another interesting concept is that you need your product/merchant up front because you develop content around the product.
    That's a good point. Many affiliate sites are built specifically around a product so it would be a big risk to build the site before you're accepted to a program.

My contact info is incredibly easy to find. It's everywhere on my program information. When someone wants to build a site around one of my products specifically, they can send me and email and I'll approve them for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Grimm View Post
    My contact info is incredibly easy to find. It's everywhere on my program information. When someone wants to build a site around one of my products specifically, they can send me and email and I'll approve them for sure.
    That's a good policy for an AM/OPM to have
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread