Google Panda update happening this morning..
    For those who follow changes in Google's algo...

Panda refresh is rolling out—expect some flux over the next few days. Fewer than 0.7% of queries noticeably affected
    https://twitter.com/google/status/248060554227367936

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Already feeling it. Just need to sit back and let things shake loose a bit...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Can't say I feel anything here..

After performing a 4-5 month clean-up, I finally received a major bump at the end of June, but that was completely reversed on August 10th. G isn't crawling as many pages on a daily basis anymore (which could actually be a good thing). In the past, I felt Panda rumblings a few days before an announcement.. not sure if this will make a difference.

Traffic the past two weeks has been incredible, huge spike here. EVERY time that has happened it has been immediately followed by an update/refresh. Things get slow for about a week then pop back to "normal".

Course Tuesdays are typically a slow day for us - I'll just pour another cup of coffee and chillax - maybe add some new merchants from LS, LOL...

maybe add some new merchants from LS
    Oh, cripes, thanks a lot. Now I've got to clean a mouthfuul of ice tea from my keyboard...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    oh, cripes, thanks a lot. Now i've got to clean a mouthfuul of ice tea from my keyboard...
    rofl ...

I've been noticing some of the traffic numbers returning from the loss I felt way back in April & May. The two biggest things I've been doing is rewriting some older(5yr or more) content that got hit and changing/varying anchor text on my internal links. I've also noticed a boost, on pages where I had a video posted, by adding the video text script below the video(even though they had CC working).

If I see Matt Cutts at Pubcon he's going to get the stink eye.

10. Thanks From:

I feel sick today.

It's time to put an expiry date on my website.. can't keep working on a sinking ship. Yesterday I reported webspam for 3 sites that ranked above me - one was a page of my scraped titles, another was scraped content, the third was a complete copy of a page, hotlinked images and all.

They offer no recourse for legitimate publishers - I refuse to post my site on a public forum (for "help" from their community) and they don't answer ANY attempts at direct contact.

Honestly, I feel sick today.

Just to clarify - there were some development errors on my site.. one problem lead to another, and so on. My issue is the time it takes for Google to acknowledge the changes, and bring my site's ranking back in line. For them, it's a game of hide & seek, but this is my BUSINESS we're talking about.

If I know it will take 6 months, I will ease up on content, and look for alternative sources of income. But I can't even find a way to have a real person at G look at my site.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I feel sick today.

It's time to put an expiry date on my website.. can't keep working on a sinking ship. Yesterday I reported webspam for 3 sites that ranked above me - one was a page of my scraped titles, another was scraped content, the third was a complete copy of a page, hotlinked images and all.

They offer no recourse for legitimate publishers - I refuse to post my site on a public forum (for "help" from their community) and they don't answer ANY attempts at direct contact.

Honestly, I feel sick today.
    Am spending a lot of time doing the same, reporting of scrapers, direct "linkers", etc. This update has caused a serious decrease in traffic (is what it is) but today, checking the SERPs - there they are above my sites - spammy .info domains.

The webmaster forums for the Google are a joke. I don't go there for answers - just for a good laugh...

Yes.. a few times in the past 6 months. The response is the same - "No manual spam actions found".

They include some canned 'helpful' suggestions.
    If you've experienced a change in ranking which you suspect may be more than a simple algorithm change, there are other things you may want to investigate as possible causes, such as a major change to your site's content, content management system, or server architecture. For example, a site may not rank well if your server stops serving pages to Googlebot, or if you've changed the URLs for a large portion of your site's pages.
    Yes, URLs were changed for a large portion of my site, as part of a clean-up. So my "site may not rank well".. but for how long..? (rhetorical question).

Always find this one confusing:

a site may not rank well if your server stops serving pages to Googlebot, or if you've changed the URLs for a large portion of your site's pages.
    What is a "large portion"?

When dealing with merchant feeds products come and go - not to mention when a merchant changes their cat structure and things go POOF for a few hours...

What is a "large portion"?
    I know you were asking in general, but for me, a large portion was a lot... a whole lot.

Google has turned into the Wizard of Oz.. a normal person hiding behind a velvet curtain. And in keeping with the storyline, by the time this is over, I will have gained the traffic I'm looking for via social networking and direct links, and won't need them.

One of our sites can have 2% of our existing products disappear in one week, every week. That's a lot of 404s especially when the Google can't update as quickly as we do; uses multiple datacenters/bots, refuses to stop using six month old sitemaps, and never believes a URL no longer exists. So, the 404s are compounded. At some point I guess it's mathematically possible that the Google could get more 404s than active URLs...

And in keeping with the storyline, by the time this is over, I will have gained the traffic I'm looking for via social networking and direct links, and won't need them.
    That is an excellent goal. One of our main (Baltimore, MD) travel sites now receives nearly 60% (59.6 %) of it's traffic from OTHER than search engines. It's not a very loarge site but that does equate to 306 vistors per day (so far this month) from bookmarks and direct links and just over 200 per day from the search engines (with the Big Goog sending 70% of those). We will be concentrating a lot of development on that site for the rest of this (calendar) year.

For (basic) social networking we started a FB page for this particular site this summer and are knocking on the door of 1000 "Likes" right now. We figure that's a pretty good number for just four months of effort.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

20. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Yes.. a few times in the past 6 months. The response is the same - "No manual spam actions found".

They include some canned 'helpful' suggestions.
    Yes, URLs were changed for a large portion of my site, as part of a clean-up. So my "site may not rank well".. but for how long..? (rhetorical question).
    Had the same problem/response from Google. Rankings are just beginning to ease a bit now (from March).

Had to return to full-time day job, so working on site projects has gone very slowly. If you know you have a good thing going, keep at it & don't dump years of work just because of Google. Although I have to admit, I just about gave up all hope. It eats the big one, for sure.

P.S. - Google also mentioned "unavailability of site" in their response. Had an additional issue where my host caused a lot of down time due to mismanagement of SAN storage (or something to that effect). So I set up my own VPS. It was a huge learning curve, activated brain cells I didn't know existed, but well worth it. No more junk on my site other than what I place on it, so it's much easier to manage/troubleshoot. It didn't bring my rankings back, but I know down the line, I'm not going to have such unpleasant surprises.

P.P.S. - What Bill said re social, not depending on Google.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; September 20th, 2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: P.P.S.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

22. Thanks From:

Renee, thanks for your kind words of encouragement! Sorry to hear you haven't been able to spend time on your sites, I honestly believe good content can make a comeback. I'm also trying to share everything I've learned during these tough times, maybe something will help you..

And Bill, you're right about depending less on search engines! I haven't been able to generate much via Facebook (probably because I'm not active personally), but Twitter has generated wonderful results. Just this week, a celebrity with 240k followers retweeted an article - but the highlight was in July, when a sports celeb with 2.5 million followers retweeted me. Very exciting to see those numbers, even though they were temporary.

I mentioned a drop in (regained) rankings on August 10th.. I was able to isolate that yesterday. Had enlisted the help of my host to disable image hot-linking, and allowed then to edit my main site .htaccess file.

After they changed the file, non-www to www 301 redirect stopped working - I've added that to my checklist now! It coincides with the non-www site waking up in WMT.

Once again, lesson learned to test everything..
    Last edited by teezone; September 21st, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    I've been noticing some of the traffic numbers returning from the loss I felt way back in April & May.
    Same here in terms of finally recovering after getting hit in April and now seeing those pre-April traffic levels. What we've done is spent a lot of time optimizing pages in terms of titles, meta, and keyword density in content. We've also beefed up some pages that had thin content. Off page, we have switched gears on our link building tactics, cut out all spam, and now only go after quality links.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread