Hi everyone,

I am new to affiliate marketing. I have a web site with very decent traffic and I was trying to sign up with Commission Junction as a publisher. But CJ ask for an US tax ID or I have to submit W-8BEN form.

Is that right if I submit W-8BEN form, CJ will withhold 30% of whatever commission I make?

As a canadian, I don't file US tax return. I just feel the tax is too much. 30% US tax withholding + Canadian income tax. What do you guys think about this?

Grace N

When you fill out the W8BEN form there is a spot where it asks if you are a country that has a tax treaty with the US. As Canada has one, no withholding tax is held.
    Sorry, it's been a while since I had to fill one out so I don't remember exactly where on the form it is. This will point you in the right direction though.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Thank you very much for the help.

I greatly appreciate it.

Grace N

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    There shouldn't be any tax withheld from the US source
    You are responsible for paying your yearly taxes on it to the good ol' boys out there in Ottawa.
    However, Revenue Canada, and/or an accountant are the people to consult about what responsabilities there are for US income.

i collect affiliate money everyday and you have to declare it...convert it to cdn funds. The bottom line is that if you are ever audited, and you are caught, you are sooo.....screwed.
    It just is not worth it. If you have lots of domains, I suggest a gst number if you do not have one. With all the us. income with no gst attached, if you have any dot ca's you can get back all the gst on all the yearly renewals.
    It is a win win situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pennysaver:
    i collect affiliate money everyday and you have to declare it...convert it to cdn funds. The bottom line is that if you are ever audited, and you are caught, you are sooo.....screwed.
    It just is not worth it. If you have lots of domains, I suggest a gst number if you do not have one. With all the us. income with no gst attached, if you have any dot ca's you can get back all the gst on all the yearly renewals.
    It is a win win situation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GST???? nuumber... my accountant said i dont have to pay that as income is from american only???

she said just make sure you put 30% of your earnings aside? is that what u was told??

im so confused on the whole tax thing.. and incorporating too..

Like... as a canadian do i have to go get a business name or number? and if so what do i state is the nature of my business??? so confused need another canadian to advise

im earnign around $8000 usa dollars a month.. have been for the last 4 months.. dont have a business number or name.. trying desperately to keep track of all my income and put aside money for INCOME TAX... which is what i was told i would only be taxed on..

not sure tax cuts i can get either workign from home...

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    if the accountant was worth anything when you first saw them they SHOULD have outlined everything
    Go find one that will give you answers you need

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread