ABW Ambassador
    How not to get deactivated from a network
    Its been a while a since I posted last. Though I visit the forum often, haven't posted anything since some of my posts were deleted by the previous admin. But that's bygone now. Here I am posting again.

Here is something that happened to me recently. Thought I wd share it here, so it doesn't happen to others.

Last week my CJ affiliate account got deactivated, for having outdated content in one of my content sites.

I have a combination of content, coupon, datafeed sites and I promote a multitudes of vendors. This one site in question is a content site. And I wasn't paying much attention to it due to time constraints. The content on the site about a certain vendor had become outdated and the pricing was also wrong. CJ contacted me once via an email from the quality dept and then followed up with a phone call which went to my voicemail. It all happened in a span of 3 days, when I was out of town, unfortunately. When I got back and started working on fixing the content it was already the 4th day. At the end of the 4th day CJ decided to deactivate my account.

One site, one vendor caused the network to deactivate my entire account.

Fortunately they let me fix my content and after a few rounds of email exchanges, they activated my account again. It took three days to get it reactivated. I consider myself lucky that they were kind enough to activate my acct. It would ve been a real setback for me since CJ is my top network.

So here are my lessons learned.

1. Don't let your site go unattended for a while. Old content may have some SEO value and can get you a few sales here and there on auto pilot, but outdated content on one site is a big risk for your entire affiliate account.
    2. If you don't plan on updating a site but want to keep it alive for seo benefits, take out any time sensitive content, like pricing. Replace them with generic content which will have a longer shelf life.
    3. Coupon sites should have a way to auto expire old coupons. If you are using WP for a coupon site, there are plugins to auto expire posts. If you are using a php/mysql site, have a daily cron job delete expired coupons.
    3. Read your emails/vms when out of town. There may be a small window when you can still rectify a mistake which otherwise will snowball into a bigger issue.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its been a while a since I posted last. Though I visit the forum often, haven't posted anything since some of my posts were deleted by the previous admin. But that's bygone now. Here I am posting again.
    Sam good to have you back and if you have any complaints please reach out to me. Am always happy to talk with a veteran and Ambassador.

Appreciate the write-up. Hate to say I have heard before from affiliates that they were on vacation during a critical time. Was generally due to trademark violations on PPC and not content/pricing. Once you get in the sites of CJ's network compliance its hard to come out of that black hole.

ABW Ambassador
    Good to see you back and post, Sam. Some great tips, thanks for sharing.

Sorry to hear that you went through those troubles with your CJ account and I'm glad it has been settled.

You mentioned there are WP plugins to auto expire posts. It sure will save me some time to manually delete old content posts. Do you have any recommendation on the plugins?

ABW Ambassador
    I use the 'Electric Studio Auto Post Expire' plugin and it does exactly what I need. When I create a post, I set the expiry date to the coupon expiry date +1.

5. Thanks From:

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread