Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advertiser Contact Info is Essential
    Someone asked me up at CJU what some of my reasons were for declining an advertiser.

One of them is definitely their contact information. I always look for the site's compatibility with our sites. If they are a questionable match, then I look for the contact information. If the contact information says "account manager mail", I will probably decline them. It has been my experience that emails to these addresses do not get answered.

As always I am open to feedback on this. Just thought I would let new publishers what I personally look for.

Susan
    Susan Warm | Affiliate Manager | CPO Commerce, Inc.
    Pasadena, CA 91105 | (626) 585-3600 ex: 7007
    [email]swarm@cpocommerce.com[/email] | [url]www.cpooutlets.com[/url]

you mention advertisers and publishers. same thing?
    The internet is a fad.

Sorry, I am an advertiser. I approve publishers.

Susan, thanks for mentioning this. What options are available for publishers to post their contact information on CJ that would prevent you from getting "account manager mail"?

I believe when you sign up on CJ as a publisher you are given the option under contact to choose a default CJ mailbox (account manager email) or enter your direct email address.

I was just going through and approving accounts today and found several that are listed with the account manager's first and last name and their email address. This makes me more comfortable because I can speak to a specific person directly.

Maybe a publisher that has signed up recently can verify this for me.

Susan

I don't see anywhere I can go in and change that now. I opened my publisher account on CJ in 2002.
    I was able to add my email address to my website's description. Would that be something you could easily find and consider more personable?

Let's ask CJ! they are really good about answering their customer support questions. I usually get an answer within 24 hours. I will send them a note.

I want to make it clear that this is a suggestion for new publishers. Often times I will have a publisher email me directly when I have declined an account and I usually approve them because the made direct contact with them.

Affiliate Manager Heidi Sturrock's Avatar
    Hi Caleb - In your CJ affiliate account, once you sign in, navigate to "mail" and then "mail settings." Make sure that you are opted in for Direct Contact Email.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This is the kind of stuff that really gets me mad.

First of all, I never before heard of the term "account manager email" (and my CJ account goes back to 2001; I presume it refers to the internal CJ email system) as a contact method for merchants to reach affiliates, but if it is an option that CJ has for affiliates, then to discriminate against affiliates that actually use it and for affiliate managers to make such important decisions as deciding yes or no on approval based on this, is absolutely ludicrous. I would not want to work with an affiliate manager so close minded and who takes such ridiculous shortcuts on important decisions.

Second, it is farcical for affiliate managers to demand such direct contact information, while at the same time CJ prohibits affiliates from having access to ANY contact information for unjoined merchants, even the identity of a merchant's affiliate manager or opm, let alone contact information.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that really gets me mad.

First of all, I never before heard of the term "account manager email" (and my CJ account goes back to 2001; I presume it refers to the internal CJ email system) as a contact method for merchants to reach affiliates, but if it is an option that CJ has for affiliates, then to discriminate against affiliates that actually use it and for affiliate managers to make such important decisions as deciding yes or no on approval based on this, is absolutely ludicrous. I would not want to work with an affiliate manager so close minded and who takes such ridiculous shortcuts on important decisions.

Second, it is farcical for affiliate managers to demand such direct contact information, while at the same time CJ prohibits affiliates from having access to ANY contact information for unjoined merchants, even the identity of a merchant's affiliate manager or opm, let alone contact information.
    Going to have to agree with you AH - I'm sitting here trying to follow this thread and what Susan is on about - and am lost.

I often won't apply to a merchant that doesn't provide his/her AM's contact info. Means you probably will never hear from them...

Word of the day: farcical (because I had to look it up)...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

As I mentioned in my last post. This is just a suggestion to new publishers. I do not automatically decline every publisher that has this, and I manually approve all my publishers. I also look at every web site that is listed on a publishers application to make sure I do not miss anything. I would not classify that as taking "short cuts". Sometimes it takes me all day to go through my publishers applications.

I do not "demand" this information. I also make it a point to send a personal email to all my current publishers that do not have direct email addresses. That is probably over half of my 2800 publishers.

I agree with you 100% about CJ denying contact info to unjoined merchants. If I had things my way we would all have phone numbers so we could communicate better.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Warm View Post
    If the contact information says "account manager mail", I will probably decline them.
    Have never heard of nor ever seen this. So your statement is a tad on the antagonistic side...

14. Thanks From:

This is what I see when publishers apply to my program and I click their company information:

General Information
    Contact Account Manager Mail
    Status Pending Application
    CJ Performer No
    Country UNITED STATES
    Targeted Areas None Selected

Many of the publishers list their personal email addresses here.

Maybe this is something that is very difficult to find for publishers that are just signing up. In which case it should be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Warm View Post
    Many of the publishers list their personal email addresses here.
    What is a "personal email address"?

Instead of "account manager email" you have the option of entering your direct email address. Like susanw@gmail.com.

I did find the setting on the publisher sign up page on CJ. When you click on the mail tab there is another tab that says mail settings. There is a box that you check off labeled "direct contact email". If you do not check it you are assigned an "account manager email" address from CJ.

I still don't know what the hell is going on - fuhgetaboutit...

In which case it should be changed.
    This is CJ you're talking about, right? As the saying goes, "Don't hold your breath..."

And, as far as listing a personal contact email. I had thought about it - but already get far too many "solicitation" style contacts from publishers that don't even come close to matching our niche(s). So I suppose we won't be doing any business.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Sturrock View Post
    Hi Caleb - In your CJ affiliate account, once you sign in, navigate to "mail" and then "mail settings." Make sure that you are opted in for Direct Contact Email.
    I can no longer change mail settings as it requires an Adobe Flash player version that I can't install on my computer as it's an older Mac. If I had to change any info, I couldn't.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Actually, you can contact unjoined merchants. When you look at Get Links & choose a category or do a search, click on the banner or link in the list to get Advertiser Detail. Many do provide an email link in their description.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    There are many advertisers and many affiliates that do not list their email address. I agree that often both sides get protective and hide their contact info and emails because of the spamming to merchants and merchants asking affiliates for too much info. I still don't know why?

We are all marketing partners trying todo business with each other so if you are an affiliate or advertiser trying to ask each other a question at some point we should be able to communicate. But emails to each other should never be about 'each other' they should be about 'best ways to reach consumers' and send traffic.

Wrong:

Advertiser to affiliate:

Hey affiliate come join our program but is this your web site because it does not match our store so unless you show me your good site I will not let you join us.

Affiliate to advertiser:

Hey merchant I just joined your program can I get an commission increase right away my site get hundreds of views and visits and if you give me an increase I will send you lots of traffic.

Right:

Advertiser to affiliate:

Hey affiliate come join our program but is this your web site? I would love to see the site you will promote us on so after you add a few links, banners or our products send me a link and I will add a $5.00 bonus just to say thanks. Here is my email, cell and twitter reach me any time.

Affiliate to advertiser:

Hey merchant I just joined your program can I get a small commission increase or bonus. Here is my site I am promoting you on with your products, links and banner. Can you also offer us an exclusive coupon code? Here is my email, cell and twitter reach me any time.

23. Thanks From:

Having a merchant disclose the programs affiliate manager with contact information on their details page should be mandatory. I don't care if they don't have a dedicated AM, tell me who to contact with requests and questions. CJ also needs to require some type of conversation between merchants and publishers when starting a relationship; then we could reduce this BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Sturrock View Post
    Thanks for the info, Heidi.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Having a merchant disclose the programs affiliate manager with contact information on their details page should be mandatory.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    CJ also needs to require some type of conversation between merchants and publishers when starting a relationship

REQUIRE a conversation? NO. Provide details should either party need to communicate - yes...

26. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Actually, you can contact unjoined merchants. When you look at Get Links & choose a category or do a search, click on the banner or link in the list to get Advertiser Detail. Many do provide an email link in their description.
    VERY few provide this info. When I saw this I did a little test - I clicked on the advertiser details of the first 25 "new" US based advertisers under "More new Advertisers" on the CJ home page, and THREE of the 25 had contact information. That's 12% and is totally unsatisfactory.

Foreign-based merchants seem to provide contact info more frequently, but that is irrelevant to me and I am sure to most of us here.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

28. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    ok, here is a sample I want to prove how affiliate marketing and ‘affiliate to advertiser’ works or not.

There is a program in Commission Junction I have been wanting to promote that has been in CJ since 2008 on a site I have had since 1999. But, I have been focusing on affiliate program management since 2003 so have not really done much on affiliate side and reached out to them ( another case of millions in affiliate commission lost on my end but cool for YOU affiliates since you did not have me as competition lol ) but this merchant is great for the service they provide and looks like it is making money through CJ, so all positives. I have never reached out to the Affiliate Manager which they do show their contact name and email right at the top, another positive and done Right way.

I just emailed them for first time just to see response, time it takes, info they ask me and if they do approve me or not. I might mention their domain name here after I hear from them with either good or bad. Now, of course I would never bash a merchant since all I do all day is help merchants but going to post example here just for mine and maybe other's affiliate program management educational and fun learning purposes.

=====

Hello ( name ),

I wanted to promote ( domain ) but it shows me as 'Declined Application' Could you approve us so that we can promote you on our sites.

Thanks,

===

Note: Yes, I made it very simple and not much info given to them in my email except my opm sig info to see reply re-quest, etc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jorge - SHOPiMAR; September 20th, 2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: image

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I think this whole industry needs to be more transparent. I put my name and info on anything I run because my job is to be there to help affiliates. I am amazed at how many merchants don't put any contact info in their profiles on the networks.

I'll also say that whether an affiliate publishes any of their contact info in a network profile does play into my evaluation of them, but not as a primary concern. If I am looking at a badly populated profile with no sites that make sense for me and there isn't a name and contact email on an application, I'm more likely to decline it than accept it. From my experience I rarely (likely probably 1% of the time) ever get responses from CJ internal messages to affiliates.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

31. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast