SMS: Get To Grips With Google?s New Structured Data Dashboard
    Search Marketing Standard has just published the following:

Get To Grips With Google?s New Structured Data Dashboard

Google has been busily updating its webmaster tools of late with a host of new features, reporting systems and alert capabilities for registered users. One of its most recent additions is the structured data dashboard, designed to provide a greater insight into the search engine’s view of the structured data associated with your website.

Structured data is nothing new but it takes several forms and will appear on the web and in website code in a number of guides. The most popular form of structured data is rich snippets – snippets are the sentence or two of text that appears under each search result on Google. Rich snippets are more detailed variants of this and appear when Google has a greater depth of understanding about the page and its content. In the case of a bar or restaurant site for example, rich snippets may be menu items, average prices per dish or customer reviews. In the case of a music store, rich snippets may appear as a track listing for each album, with corresponding link to a sample of the track.

The use of rich snippets is increasingly important in the more fragmented and complex search space, as the additional detail provided to users in this format can act as a call to action, encouraging them to click on your listing ahead of a competitors. To get this functioning, rich snippet mark-up must be added in HTML format to each page.

The structured data dashboard brings these various strands together, providing an overarching view that makes it easy to keep track of what Google knows about the website, in standard rich snippet and schema formats.

Getting Started

The dashboard has been created with three viewing levels; site, item type and page level. To access the structured data dashboard and see each of these views, log in to your webmaster tools account and head to the optimization section.

1.* View Structured Data at Site Level

The site level view is the default top level view when you click through in to the data dashboard. It lists all of the root item types and schemas to be found on the site.

2.* View Data at Item Type Level

You can also view per page details for each type of structured data residing on your domain in the item type level view. This view is organized by default to show newly found items at the top, making it useful for checking if the latest rich snippet items added to the site have been indexed. This level view will also help with trouble shooting, showing when errors are encountered.

3.* View Data at Page Level

The page level view allows you to get deep into the heart of each page, showing every item type that Google has picked up.

As you add new pages to the site and expand your use of rich snippets, you’ll likely spend a lot more time examining the structured data dashboard. Even if your site already ranks well on Google, adding rich snippets and monitoring how well they are being received via the new dashboard view is a relatively easy way to take up more search space.

Did You Know: You can get much more great content via our print magazine (including access to a digital version and all premium content from our site) now 23% off the list price? Details are here. Digital-only subscriptions are also available at a reduced rate.

Image: Code Snippet by Shutterstock

Save 50% on Search Marketing Standard Magazine; use Coupon Code "ABW50" - Offer expires 12/31/2012

Read More From Get To Grips With Google?s New Structured Data Dashboard...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Smaller images Brandon. On a laptop with a 15" monitor, GIANT images do not display properly on vBulletin and blow out the site's formatting making the article unreadable...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

15" monitor? come on C-man .... step up to 17"! it's a whole new world dude

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1

Hopefully upgrades to the laptops this year. They are archaic and slow - don't feel like sitting at the desk all the time - have laptop, will travel (to the living room).
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yeah, they are supposed to autoscale, I'll look into it.

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Smaller images Brandon. On a laptop with a 15" monitor, GIANT images do not display properly on vBulletin and blow out the site's formatting making the article unreadable...
    There is an old debate still going on about: "Do Size Really Matters?"

Well, you have a 15" monitor and I have a 22" monitor, but we both have an issue with the size of that image?

It looks like the "width" of one used thing, is more inportant than the size of an standard viewer thing...

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    15" monitor? come on C-man .... step up to 17"! it's a whole new world dude

Look, I have 22 Inches...

and this is what I see....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	4880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	4881  

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmbeard View Post
    Yeah, they are supposed to autoscale, I'll look into it.
    Thanks!

Btw, all this time I thought you was just an ABW Post-Boot, but it looks like youi can read and reply...

Doesn't autoscale on an iPad. In my [home] office I have a 21" monitor - no autoscale there either. I've been seeing the same thing as Convergence posted above - with explorer and Safari.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread