Hi. I have been useing Bravenet for my newsletter but I am fast approaching the 300 limit.

Are there any good alternatives to use that a free or low cost?

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

What about switching to Yahoo Groups?

http://www.e-mailpro.com/prices.html $15 a month for 2,000 names. Yahoo groups as mentioned is free. www.topica.com use to be a really good free service, but they are moving to a pay model.

I don't know if this is what you are after but take a look at Subscribe Me This runs off your own server

Subscribe Me is an excellent list management script. I've installed it for several of my clients and they love it.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I get a bit nervous with having my customers email addys hosted with someone else. You can never be sure what maybe happening with them. I've been reading some grumblings about topica getting into spamming and list brokering.

Someone here on the boards (can't remember who now) recommend Mojo Mailto me. It's another one you host on your own server. Lots of features and completely free. I'm amazed at all the things you can do with it at no cost. They will install it for you for a small fee it you don't feel confortable with installing scripts yourself.

I will offer this caveat for those of you using one of these scripts on a shared hosting account. If you have a list of 1,000 or more and send out to the entire list during peak usage hours, or if the server you are on is overloaded you can easily crash the server. Also, check your host's TOS a lot of them don’t allow you to host a mailing list (even opt-in) on their servers.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: malibber ]

I'm curious about Mojo Mail too - I've downloaded it but haven't installed it yet mainly because I still need to stretch my learning curve a tad more. I suppose I could pay to have them install, but I'd really like to know how to do it myself - wonder if they'd tell me all the steps so at least I could learn.

Janiss,

They do have a step by step guide for installing on the site. There is only one file you have to go into to edit, and that is only for 4 lines. And that file is heavily commented to assist you. The hardest biggest work is setting up all the options for your lists which are available. But that's all done through a web interface. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You will need to be able to Telnet or SSH into your server to decompress the file to begin with. It's in .tar format, but they give you command for that too if you are not familiar with it.

If you follow the step by step instructions on the web site, you should do OK. If you want to give it a whirl, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Malibber,

Very good point. I servers have always allowed it, so I didn't even think about that. Mojo Mail does allow you to set large lists to go out in blocks so that you don't overload and/or crash servers. That's a nice feature. Maybe I will have to worry about that one day.

Thanks, Best - I will PM if I need help but I finally think I'm in luck - my big problem was that I couldn't find a telnet program to download when I first downloaded Mojo (I'm on a Mac, so I don't have a whole lot of options and I kept winding up at these sites that no longer existed, or wouldn't download, or were somehow out of service). But I went back to Google just now and either I did a better serch or something because I was able to locate and download the telnet program I couldn't get before.

I'm anxious to see what Mojo is like - it seems really promising! I'm currently on Constant Contact, which I like quite a bit, but I really would like to have more control over my mailing list (not have it on someone else's site) and also more control over the look of my newsletters - not to mention the fact that I can see CC getting kind of pricely if my site continues to increase in popularity. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I'm using Mojo too, easy to install, nice for sending webpages from your server, or anywhere actually! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have mailing list handling built-in to my CMS, and my mail transfer agent (exim) has internal mailing list handling as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread