I have majordomo on my websites, is it good enough to use for a newsletter?

Yes, Majordomo works very well for many people.

DesignerWiz.com Team
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Hello everyone - I'm having a big headache problem with my newsletter using Majordomo (we use Exim as our mail transport, btw) We send out a newsletter to about 12,000 subscribers. Starting in October, all the newsletters to the @hotmail.com and @msn.com addresses were returned with the error "Too Many Recipients." We have been sending this out for 3 years, and it just suddenlt started. The response I got from Hotmail was - that newsletters to Hotmail could not be in a list longer of more than 250 addresses, which I found as odd.

I'm also a little behind on what "double opt-in" means. All of our newsletter recipients filled out a form on our website, asking to receive the newsletter. We send it out twice a month. Is there something I need to write into the email header to indicate this?

What do you Majordomo users use to not encounter this Too Many Recipients problem?

Thanks! Steve

This is my first post on A Best Web, btw.

Hello Labinski,

You are correct with the returns of Hotmail & MSN emails when sending over 250+ mails at any given mail sendings.

MSN has incorporated new spam filtering techniques to their service as one of their many ways to lower the continued increase of spamming to their list members.

Our service stopped using Marjordomo a very long time ago and starting using the Constant Contact service as a great opt-in mailing group manager with super statistics reporting.

In this program we are able to effectively ensure the member was truly the individual signing up for our opt-in mailing membership by "double opt-in" verification.

How is this done you might ask: When a viewer signs up for any of our opt-in mailing groups a verification mailing is sent to the original entered email address informing them of the opt-in mail groups they selected at the time of sign up. It also informs them that if there is any incorrect information contained on the report that they can either correct it, or opt-out of the mailing directly from this "double opt-in" verification email sent to the signup.

You can see how this can be extremely valuable protection to your viewer and yourself from any possible irate recipient that suddenly starts getting email from your list that did not truly signup.

We actually enjoyed the benefits of the constant contact opt-in mail service that we became a distribution partner with this service.
    Now: Shameless plug time. See our free 60 day trial offer for more info and possibly reformatting your opt-in list to emulate this technique at URL below:
    Constant Contact Opt-In Mailing Service or, sign up after expiration.

Hope this helps you.

DesignerWiz.com CEO http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    Do you have any numbers as to how many subscribers you lose on the 2nd Opt in?

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Hello Joseph Monuit,

Our statistics show less than .03% opt-out at the initial sign up verification email sent upon the actual sign up moment.

These opt-outs are generally caused by a "friend" signing up another "friend" without telling the "friend" of doing so, or did not have time to tell the "friend" before receiving the instant double opt-in verification.

Also note: This double opt-in verification does not cause any burden to the actual sign up individual. If all information is correct from the sign up information submitted at the time of sign up, the viewer needs to do nothing at all.

This double opt-in is simply a great tool method to prevent others from signing up someone who clearly did not know they had been added to a mailing group without prior permission.

DesignerWiz.com CEO http://DesignerWiz.com

HI there: I appreciate the reply. However, since I have this server here running Linux and all this bandwidth - we've always done this in-house. So my question is - how do you get around the spam filters? I don't understand how Hotmail knows that an email from a distribution list is "double opt-in."

Should the "resent email priority" be something other than "bulk" - like first class or special delivery (whatever those settings mean)?

Thanks
    Steve

actually steve, it's majordomo2. big difference. The priority should always be bulk for mailing list traffic. You just have to adjust the settings of both majordomo and your mailer softwae to cut off at a low number like 50... but I believe we took majordomo2 & had it generate a seperate message for each recipient... I know, time consuming and takes up alot of diskspace, but it also makes the bounce detection a little more effective and efficient.... since mj2 doesn't have to scan a bounce for 50 or so names that bounced. the original majordomo used to break all the time on those.

by the way... they've done alot of work on the majordomo2 interface for the web.. it's got some very nifty new features that everyoune who uses it would enjoy. I definitely recommend dumping mj in favor of mj2... We chose Mj2 over Mail Man specifically because of some issues with the mailman web interface. Although I'd like to see some features of mailman integrated into MJ2 ... I think I'll suggest it to the list and see what they say. later y'all.

i hate to tell you this !!!
    but your answering a question that was asked
    back in 2003, though he might still need the answer
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Why is it always a newbie that finds these old posts?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread