I am trying to increase the subscriptions to my email newsletter. I am currently using topica, and am wondering if it is a problem as compared to a system like Subscribe Me.

Has anyone switched from topica to some other email newsletter management system and had positive results?

I am asking because I am wondering if topica may be one reason why I don't get many newsletter subscriptions, since they ask for a good deal of information during the signup process and then hit people with their own newsletter(s).

Any thoughts?

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

Subscribe me bites if you get any real volume, and hope you don't want to insert wildcards for first names etc. A small cookied popup window, once per session, saying join our newsletter and offer some type of incentive. That alone should boost your signup rate significantly if you're not already using a popup.

I'm not using a pop-up, though I'm kicking that around right now.

Any advice on someone besides Subscribe Me?

I forgot to mention my opinon about using Topica. Yes, that is probably killing your signup ratio using them. Any free list host will hinder your signup rates.

Autoresponse Plus works well, I have an affiliate link somewhere.

Thanks - I'll take a look.

I set a cookie that will only popup (on-unload) a newsletter signup form once every 45 days. We've had a great conversion with that, and I figured that once every 45 days would not be too annoying for my regular visitors.

http://www.ahugedeal.com

I switched from topica to constant contact about 8 months back. The subscription rate didn’t change (I use pop-ups), but the conversions/sales drastically improved. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned ad swaps with other related newsletters as a good way to increase subscribers. That's how I sometimes find new newsletters to subscribe to.

------------------------
    Web Hosting Solutions

Rik,

Good point.

I do occasionally buy ads in loosely related email newsletters and always notice a few extra signups from that (as well as a few sales).

ABW Ambassador
    @ AHugeDeal - what's the best way to do the cookie / popup thing? Javscript or CGI?

Javascript works ok.

-------------------------------------------------
    Webmaster Resources | Web Hosting Solutions

ABW Ambassador
    With any browser?

Point me in the direction of a useful site with examples?

I run a daily joke mailing list that is approaching 3,000 members, but find it hard to advertise these days without spamming (which is far too risky unless you are prepared to have lots of throw-away domains and ISP's etc - plus there is the moral issue - I don't like people to do it to me!).
    I'm thinking of swapping advertising with other similar (or dis-similar) mailing lists to try and increase memberships (and of course interest in the affiliate programs that we belong to).
    Does anyone know of a good place to find a list of other mailing lists, or if you are interested in cross-advertising please contact me.
    Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Poddy - I may be interested - what's your site? Can I get a sample of one of your mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    If you can swing the 20 bucks a month or so, offer a monthly prize to be randomly drawn from mailing list members.

CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks!

Our email list is run using Yahoo Groups - they have some good points and some bad points, but at least they handle bouncing mail...
    If you have a Yahoo id you can view samples of our mailings at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/poddyslaughline/ otherwise send me an email at infopopinquiry@poddys.com and I will email you a sample mailing back. It's proabably best not to post one here.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread