A friend of mine has acquired 1 million email addresses... along with their first and last name, address, IP from which they signed up and the date when they signed up...

He says, "just about a hundred text files, each has ~10 000 records, in the format:
    ip,zip,address,email,id,first,last,date,phone,domain,state,city,type

i can parse them to any mysql database or any other format needed,it's a simple job..."

It sound overwhelming to me and I feel like it would be spam if I used it in any way.

Thoughts?

Hmmmm .... looks like

... tastes like

... smells like

It must be ...

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

If every single one of those 1 million people said "yes, send me all the email you can!" then go for it. If they didn't, then it's 100% SPAM if it comes from you or anyone else that list is sold to.

Just because someone signed up on one mail list does not mean they want their email address sold to the highest bidder.

If my email address is on that list, and I get an email from you, you can rest assured that you will be turned over to SpamCop and your IP in less than a minute after I receive it. Do you want to take the chance of 1 million people doing the same thing?

heh,

i like the open and close soapbox tags

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The date they signed up for what??? Yeah right. Sounds like someone making a buck off of whois spider. What Linda said and you better look at the tougher state laws going into effect about sending spam. In my state, it can actually involve jail time now.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

I hate spammers too. I only stated exactly what this guy emailed me about the list he owns.

He offered to give me this list, not sell it, however, I will certainly not use it unless I know for sure that each person opted to receive information about Arts & Culture - which is doubtful.

Assuming these users ARE intered in arts and culture info -- can I legally use the list or must the opt in have been generated from my site. That's really my question --

Shoparama, it doesn't matter if the list is sold to you, loaned to you, or given to you. If the ones on the list did not specifically sign up to receive emails from third parties (that would be you), then it is spam. And there is no way that you would know for sure that each person opted in to receive third party emails.

It also doesn't matter if a person is interested in a particular subject and that's what you want to email them about. If they don't agree to receive email from you, then you would more than likely be considered a spammer because they did not opt in to receive email from you.

I'm interested in crafts. I signed up to receive emails from specific craft magazines. That does not mean I want emails from every Tom, Dick and Harry craft site on the Internet just because I'm interested in crafts. I want it ONLY from the ones I signed up for. But that doesn't stop email gatherers from selling/giving away my email address and then getting spammed and including the statement that I opted in to receive third party emails.

Legally? Sure, you can use any list you desire if you want to accept the responsibilities that go along with it. B'ster just posted that state laws are going into effect concerning spamming. As for me, no, I wouldn't touch that list or any other list with a 10 foot pole. I like to sleep well at night.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ooookkkkkk. One Million Email Addresses should be the dead give away to begin with. Spam list. Very doubtful that it is a legitimate list. Even it was truly double opt in list for folks who wanted to receive 3rd party emails, that list would cost an arm and a leg, because it is a legit list. I doubt your friend paid several thousands for the list. There's clue #2. Clue 3 is just plain common sense. Do you really think there are 1 million folks out there gathered by one source who provided all the info contained in that list (phone #, address, etc) that truly opted in to receive emails in one niche from 3rd parties they don't even know? Clue 4...any mention as to how they keep the list updated for folks who opted out? I doubt it, because in reality the ppl probably didn't opt in to begin with. But if they opted out and you email them, then it's spam.

The reality is your friend was scammed to plop down $299 or whatever on an email list that probably has a good % of debunked addy's anyway because folks dropped the addresses because of all the spam they were getting. Maybe he knew he was buying a spam list..I don't know. But it's still a spam list.

Why don't you let your friend run the list and see what happens to them. But if you are really salivating over the list, go ahead and use it...just be prepared for the possible consequences:

1. You are banned by all the major spam black lists. Try sending out any legitimate mailings after that.
    2. Your email box is flooded with flames from irate people who received your spam.
    3. You wake up to find your site gone. Your hosting company shut you down for spamming.
    4. You receive mail bombs or DOS attacks to your domain. Because the list really is a whois spider, so it's webmasters and there are some hardcore spam haters who take drastic action when they get the spam.
    5. Some Attorney General comes knocking on your door. And btw, here it can be a $500 per occurrence that means per email. And the person who you sent it to can sue you for punitive damages per occurrance..that means whatever damages they felt they received.

If you really hate spammers, you should be running away from this as fast as you can. Along with setting your friend straight.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

k.. that's why I posted this. I'm on a learning curve and do not want to screw up. That's all I needed to know.

Thanks...

Who the hell could possibly have a legitimate email list of that size?

Microsoft probably. Amazon. A few others.

Lists like that are not for sale. Anybody who has the resources to develop a legitimate list of that size couldn't give a hoot about how much they would make by selling it.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shoparama:
    Assuming these users ARE intered in arts and culture info -- can I legally use the list or must the opt in have been generated from my site. That's really my question --<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, "arts and culture". Would I be right in assuming that Adult "stuff" fits into this category?

All legal and/or spam issues aside:

If the people on the list did not deliberately, consciously sign up for YOUR offers, what makes you think they would be not only interested, but also interested enough to ignore the fact that they recieved the offers from somebody they did not solicit offers from?

I do not know why people take this spam stuff so far. It's just like receiving junk mail in your mail box, just delete it, it doesn't take any time at all really.

Just my 2 cents.

Cody

couple clarifications. I was not going to purchase the list. It was going to be given to me by someone I helped in the past. There was absolutely no solicitation on my part. I have seen the database and believe me there ARE that many email addresses in there.
    Although I could use the traffic and it seems tempting, I will not use it.
    I think my conscience made me post this to avoid succumbing to temptation.

*sign*

Shoparama, good choice

Thanks for not adding to the mess.

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

My rule of thumb has always been if someone along the line bought it or traded for it (IE: if you don't collect each and every name yourself) then it's spam, plain and simple.

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread