ABW Ambassador
    (This is the most appropriate space I could find to post this.)

A forum I visit is hosted by an e-commerce firm that seems to view the forum as a pest. I won't talk about what happens "behind the curtain", but anyone with an online-marketing eye can see they don't know how to capitalize on that traffic.

I got super-pissed when they started popping Gator drive-bys. I became very vocal. They then started pop-ups for everything from printers to X10. Others became vocal. Traffic dwindled. Now they have some horribly mis-targetted banners. (The current audience is 16-35 and 99% male. Why are you advertising Brawny paper towels?)

Morons. They sell products. The audience is interested in those products.

I feel like pulling a Sam Kinison, screaming "ARE YOU STUPID? ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT SPECIALS WHERE THE PEOPLE ARE. THESE PEOPLE HAVE CREDIT CARDS, THEY HAVE MONEY!!! AH AH AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Nope, last night I thought about making my biggest money-maker into a direct competitor of theirs, as far as audience goes. Then I'll advertise affiliated merchants to the audience that I'm sure I can build.

Does anyone have any advice to offer? I'll take any I can get!

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like every one of the ABW merchants would be better qualified for monitizing that forums page views. They're easy to contact right from here. Male 16-35? Hell just make sure you program in a contest link with a live webcam. Pose some hourly questions to a live nude model plastered with stick-on advertiser banners. Every answer she gets wrong she takes off another banner.

Each poster posing a question she doesn't answer right get's their user name put in a hat. Naked she picks a name out of the hat and the winner gets some boobie prize. Traffic would be the least of your problems. Be sure to tip Charlie on your way out to make this happen!

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    While that's all well and good, I don't feel the need to set up a webcam and find women willing to pose nude. I'm too lazy for that.

It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

sent you a PM.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

ABW Ambassador
    Hit you back!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> sent you a PM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh No!!! SteveInid is gonna be on your cam!

Just kidding steve!

What does the COC stand for? &lt;b&gt;Crooks Overwriting Commissions.&lt;/b&gt;
    &lt;b&gt;Don't worry! Tracking is infected!&lt;/b&gt;
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Nah, Steve's not gonna be on my cam. Wrong audience.

I see a different way to make money with forums. I'm sure someone else has tried it, though I've not seen it. I consider myself a pioneer of sorts.

ABW Ambassador
    It's been up and running for 33 days now. I have 31 members, though only 19 post.

Google is giving me traffic from some bizarre and obscure terms. I'm shocked that Google would have such a fast turn-around with forum content, I'm shocked that people actually search for those terms at the same time.

Nothing x-rated, but nothing you'd expect people to look for, either.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

I've been mulling this idea over a bit lately too. It sounds like it could be interesting. I guess it would add "stickiness" to a site. I'm just unsure if I'd want to have to deal with the hassle of monitoring the board, but I guess you could start using some frequent posters as mods. Reading some of Haiko's backposts from ABW, and I could see myself pulling my hair out trying to deal with some folks.

Still, if you get some critical mass to your forum with good posts about topics that are interesting, you could draw people in.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seedy Bee:
    and I could see myself pulling my hair out trying to deal with some folks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> 33 members isn't a big enough audience for trolls just yet.

I'm moving content and products from a current content/sales site to the forum. The "this page has moved" links are creating quite the traffic subsidy.

If the trolls only knew how many daily uniques showed up, I would have quite the mess on my hands.

I've decided that I'm doing far more than forums with this site. Databases have more potential than just discussions and datafeeds.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Good idea about moving the content, but how can you do that to a forum? It has to be posted by someone right? Or are you just creating fictitious accounts and posting the content you already had? Forums are great for search engines, but I wonder how to get that first wave of traffic started to a forum without fictitious posts of good content.

ABW Ambassador
    Content: I downloaded and installed a content management mod specific to this forum software.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread