Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What is the best way to entice users to sign up for a newsletter? I get very little response from the blurb I have on my site at present.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

ABW Ambassador
    1. Make sure you have something that your visitors actually want.

2. Even tho I don't like popups, using them is a good way to get signups.

I allow visitors to browse a few pages on my website then popup a small window inviting them to join my mailing list. So that they don't get annoyed by the popup I set a 30 day cookie, so that if they visit my site again within 30 days they don't see the popup again.

As far as I'm concerned my visitors are getting entirely free content, and a popup window once every 30 days is a small price to pay.

ABW Ambassador
    I had an increase in signups just by moving my newsletter sign up above the fold where it should have been in the first place and its on every page of my site. As far as popups you can try that but i automatically close out any popups that happen and popup blockers are just getting more and more popular.

I work in lounge pants

If you have a contact form add a checkbox for "Join our newsletter ..." - works for me. But do not make it selected by default, it irritates people.

Another good way is "Join our newsletter andreceive FREE ...". The FREE part makes miracles...

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Ayup, anything "free" is the way to go.

I somehow got noticed at Warner Brothers Studios for my content site. In the past they sent me 4 DVD's to give away as I pleased. I offered the chance at a free DVD with sign up to the newsletter. Worked wonders.

I just got 6 more this month and instead of offering them to newsletter sign ups I'm running a fun contest at the message board. Advertising this fact has bumped the message board sign ups this week.

Sure, not everyone gets WB to send them free DVD's but really, at $25 it's easy enough to buy one (or something similar) and offer it.

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

Like TrustNo1, I've found that the more attention that I draw to a newletter, the more sign-ups it will recieve. By placing a signup form at the top of the page, I've increased conversions dramatically.

I've also found that many people are afraid to give out their email addresses for fear of getting spammed to death. Including a simple line such as "We'll never sell your email address or send you spam." can also do wonders for sign-ups.

As far as contests go does anyone know of a service for handling the running of contests?

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

All very valid points. To add to them, I would like to re-iterate the benefits to the end user. If you sort of know what type of traffic you get or at least what they are looking for, you can target your newsletter sign up this way. Of course, deliver what was promised to them.

What are some of your signup rates? Care to share? One of our very targeted campaigns brought in a ~6% signup rate. But normally, signup rate is very low.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

Excuse my ignorance Trust but above the fold means on the first page visible in the bowser when coming to that page?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, its whatever shows up on the page without scrolling. Whenever you visit any page, whatever you see once the pages loads up, is above the fold, usually the top of the page.

I work in boxers

I've created a flashing gif that reads "Don't Be Left Out" and placed it above my newsletter box along with the description about why they should sign up and that it's free. My signup box is also above the fold as well.

The flashing gif tends to draw the visitor's eyes to the sign-up box.

I agree with many of the points made here. My personal view is that "above the fold" placement of your signup box is imperative to higher sign up ratio's. (Once we moved ours to near top of fold .. signup ratios went up 400%+)

If you have a content site .. give away a free eBook, or software application directly related to the type of content you deliver by lottery drawing and you can't go wrong.

If you need software for this. At SAS you can signup for the MyFreeSoftware.com program and purchase software for $1.50 each for giving away .. it's an idea anyway.

Hope that helps you.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

1) Give away something of VALUE to your visitors

2) Make it easy and consistent for them to join. I would defintely use a pop up to get their attention, otherwise they might miss out!

3) I personally place a newsletter sign up box with moving arrows on ALL pages. Again, making sure I let them know what they're receiving of VALUE for FREE just by joining the newsletter.

4) Let them know that you respect their privacy and you will never SPAM them. AND DON'T!

5) Create a privacy statement they can read.

Free Give Aways
    I have great succeess with free giveaways

example: (spam)

Have a special site dedicated to just collecting
    emails alone.

It really is that important!!
    Last edited by Trust; August 11th, 2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spam

Thumbs down
    Mark,

Personally I wouldn't register for a site like this because the design doesn't indicate any intimate understanding of building websites or using the internet. Plus there's no such thing as putting your traffic on auto-pilot. It's hard work harvesting and maintaining traffic.

I smell

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib, Your Wrong.
    Hi Snip,

My site is certainly not spam so please dont make such blatent remarks. I take things like that very seriously. If you have not signed up for it please dont accuse it of something its not.

I first off give my subscribers what i tell them i will give them.

1) I give them there 5 free products in the first email.
    Along with an invitation to instant buzz & and a way of combining it with another traffic generator to create a flow of traffic to there website.

Now depending how much time they invest into this it may be only 5-10 targeted hits a day or thousands that is up to the person who signs up.

2) In the second email i give my subscribers tips on how to get on google &

3) in the third email i give them some tips on improveing there PR by linking.

This is just some of the quality content i provide to my subscribers & in fact soon i hope to put some of the great comments i have had from them up on the website.

Oh and by the way YES in the last email i do make my subscribers an offer using an affiliate program to an extremely appropriate product which will help there online business a lot and of course all my emails have an UNSUBSCRIBE link at the bottom of the them & my business is in compliance with the CAN -SPAM act.
    Regards,
    Mark Flavin
    (spam)
    Last edited by Trust; August 11th, 2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spam

I didn't say your site is spam. Your posts are spam. I don't think you'll last long on this forum posting like this. It seems every post you've made has been spam for your site.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ronwls,

I found that letting people know when I am sending out the next newsletter helped, and actually giving them some idea of what it would contain.

Hope that this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by parentsworld
    Ayup, anything "free" is the way to go.

I somehow got noticed at Warner Brothers Studios for my content site. In the past they sent me 4 DVD's to give away as I pleased. I offered the chance at a free DVD with sign up to the newsletter. Worked wonders.

I just got 6 more this month and instead of offering them to newsletter sign ups I'm running a fun contest at the message board. Advertising this fact has bumped the message board sign ups this week.

Sure, not everyone gets WB to send them free DVD's but really, at $25 it's easy enough to buy one (or something similar) and offer it.

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water
    Lady, its a nice idea! I have been publishing my affiliate network newsletter and the traffic I had been attracting is not very encouraging. I would definitely try this FREE stuff offering and hope I can duplicate your success.

I give away freebies too. Four of them. One of them is a simple piece of software related to my niche, which differentiates me from people who just give away things like reports.

Even given this, it doesn't hurt to work your copy either. I just modified mine recently to give it some more 'punch', and have received more sign-ups because of it.

Create a free offer...such as a Free e-book you can offer to potential subscribers.

Purchase ad in any ezine targeting your target audience...offer your free e-book to them if they sign up for your newsletter.

State the benefits in your ad.

How about make a free flash game that requires visitors to subscribe?
    I am thinking if this works. At least, it should be some kind of opt-in, isn't it?

[sig removed]
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; September 4th, 2007 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyM
    ronwls,

I found that letting people know when I am sending out the next newsletter helped, and actually giving them some idea of what it would contain.

Hope that this helps.
    This seems like it would help out tremendously. I'll give this a try as soon as I figure out which software I'm going to use to manage my list. I've used phplist in the past...but it just doesn't feel like it provides a complete mailing list service.

I tried to find a proper mailist script before. I tried phplist as well but I think it is not good enough for our business especally it only support UTF-8.
    To make our mailist work, we finally decided to use 12all, a commerical scripts. Though it is not free, I think it worths. After all, what we are talking is business.

--
    Last edited by loxly; September 4th, 2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: edited manual sig out

http and a telephoto
    Most bumped old thread of all time?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast