Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recent Google Panelties for low quality EMD
    Matt Cutts tweeted on 28th Sept 2012 about this recent updates that is likely to affect low quality exact-match domain.

Here is the url of his tweet: https://twitter.com/mattcutts/status/251784203597910016

I found that most of the webmaster forums are flooded with complains about this updates and not happy with the changes.

Algo Change Targets Low Quality Exact Match Domains 9-28-2012 Google SEO News and Discussion forum at WebmasterWorld

What do you think about this updates guys?

2. Thanks From:

Yeah, I heard about this also... that the domain and/or URL is becoming less important. It's a little frustrating. It's all part of the SEO dance.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Keyphrase in that announcement: Low Quality

Yes KWs in domain names have always helped, and still will help. But if you produce quality content consistently over time, you should not worry what your domain name is.

5. Thanks From:

I think these updates suck and someone should do an infographic about Google killing jobs online.

How is Google judging quality? They use an algorithm, a computer that is not human and can not judge, can not tell the difference if a site is of value or not. So they basically set out to destroy all EMDs no matter the quality.

I sometimes wonder if the time will come when the first page result will only be paid ads. While the little guy sites start on page two... because if that is the future, I'm really gonna have to look for a day job.

I sometimes wonder if the time will come when the first page result will only be paid ads. While the little guy sites start on page two...
    I understand that Google is a business, but I think paid search results lack some credibility (thinking specifically of Google's switch to paid results only for Google Shopping). I don't think how much a website spends advertising on Google should influence its organic SEO, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case always.

There's going to be a lot of innocent sites hurt in the process, but they did say it was going to be a rocky ride..

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Agree with Gary on this... Google is trying to weed out the low quality players as always... the ones who got a great exact match domain, then backed it with a feed content only site and profited from it. It doesn't help Google's audience, so Google will of course look to de-emphasize these kinds of sites in favor of sites with actual fresh, relevant content.

I have seen some of my affiliates get really whacked by the algo updates (mostly Panda) but in about 75% or better of the cases, I can't say that Google didn't make the right call when it came to the value of the content. Most were just content farms with feed content and really didn't add anything of value to the user.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

I just hope Supercool's six-inch-vinyl-kazakhstan-flags.com site didn't get hit.
    Your Ad Here.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I sometimes wonder if the time will come when the first page result will only be paid ads. While the little guy sites start on page two... because if that is the future, I'm really gonna have to look for a day job.
    Seems the pure pay-per-click search engines died out a long time ago. Remember Goto.com before AdWords?

Quote Originally Posted by affninja View Post
    I just hope Supercool's six-inch-vinyl-kazakhstan-flags.com site didn't get hit.
    Thanks affninja.... the site is still rocking. sold 973 so far today!

oops - 976 now

How are the goat-hair-mascara-brushes-with-orange-handles. com doing?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

This G business beggars belief.

My main site which is squeaky clean has seen a drop of 60%+ in visitor numbers, two other sites (also clean) promoting the same type of product as the main site have been G page 1 or 2 for many months for a keyword and have now disappeared into the ether.

BUT another site I have not touched for about six months has one article promoting the same product as above is now on page one for the aforementioned keyword.

What am I going to do, just keep my head down and carry on as previously I'm sure the status quo will be re-established.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    How are the goat-hair-mascara-brushes-with-orange-handles. com doing?
    That one has been hit hard . Funny thing though, the other sites for all of the various handle colors are doing fine (37 goat hair mascara brush sites).

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    I have seen some of my affiliates get really whacked by the algo updates (mostly Panda) but in about 75% or better of the cases, I can't say that Google didn't make the right call when it came to the value of the content. Most were just content farms with feed content and really didn't add anything of value to the user.
    25% collateral damage. How nice. Maybe those losers are paying for PPC now. Somehow superCool doubts that Goofle has a problem with that. Oh look now, there they are at the top of page 1 again - for $1 a click. Same search query, same results page, same users, same site content, same usefulness, same "quality", same "value" to the user .... but now Goofle is making $1 a click so it's ok.

Goofle shouts:
    You suck and I don't want my users to have to deal with your POS site. Your site offers nothing of value to my beloved users. Quality = LOW. No traffic for you! And btw - you're a spammer!

Goofle whispers:
    Slip me $1 a click and I will display your site proudly at the top of my results ALL DAY LONG. I'm sure my users won't care too much.

Interesting premise, drive spammers to a PPC model. I always felt they were trying to get traffic at no cost sans labor to make blackhat sites. At $1 a click I doubt they can stay long but it would point consumers to the SERPs if the AdWords copy was spammy. Just thinking out loud here!

superCool is not talking about real "spammers". superCool is talking about regular affiliates who get caught up in the algo BS and defined as "spammers" by some magical formula put together by an infinite number of monkeys in California and India.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Well, the spammers aren't the only one's who are being forced into PPC. Those that spam will not really change their way of doing things much. EMDs aren't only being used by SERP spammers - I would suspect the marjority of legitimate affiliates use EMDs.

The target of this algo was "low quality" sites who originally were getting listed not for their content, but for the keywords in their domain. There has been a lot of collateral damage based on what SE related forums are chattering about.

What is confusing most webmasters is that there were other algos being updated along with the EMD algo. With over 500 updates a year, that's 2-3/day. The Google just doesn't announce each one.

Spammer/Low Quality/Affiliate/Duplicate Content/Competition it's all the same in the eyes of the Google - all under the guise that it is trying to improve it's SERPs.

Bottom line is the Google can claim anything in public (often what it does, is intentionally vague), but the the ONLY reason it does anything is for it's profitability.

4th quarter officially here - coincidence? Wait until the next Penguin hits - anyone want to wager what week that will occur?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

21. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    superCool is not talking about real "spammers". superCool is talking about regular affiliates who get caught up in the algo BS and defined as "spammers" by some magical formula put together by an infinite number of monkeys in California and India.
    +1

Guess it took me too long to type before you replied, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    Slip me $1 a click and I will display your site proudly at the top of my results ALL DAY LONG. I'm sure my users won't care too much.
    There'll be a cold day in hell before I'm paying $1 a click to G for anything, and btw, I just found that this song: Cold Day In Hell - Gary Moore (lyrics) match my feelings about G.

But, since thier motto is "Do No Evil"... Let me leave the hell part out this post and just say:

It would be a rainy day in Mars, before I found myself paying $1 a click to G. for a click.

24. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    It would be a rainy day in Mars, before I found myself paying $1 a click to G. for a click.
    Just became the quote in my sig...

I built a site for a relative who is an independent scientific consultant - last week she asked me if her rankings would improve if she signed up for Google Ads. This is a pure content site, with specialized scientific info - rankings are up/down like a roller coaster.

If a non-tech person is asking that question, seems to me there's a pretty obvious correlation.

27. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Maybe .05 would be a better number to use for the example?

superCool hasn't used Adwords for a while so forgot how much a click is. Last time he was selling jet aircraft and those clicks can get expensive

It's a shame to see this happen to pure content sites for things like science or hobbies or whatever. Or even a Mom & Pop retailer. They used to be able to put up a "basic" site and get a little business. Now they get labeled as spammers because they use some bad markup or don't have their htaccess set up just right. Reminds superCool of all these "fairness" laws trying to get more tax money from sites like amazon (actually from their customers) ... funny how amazon now owns all of page 1 for many search phrases. Now THAT doesn't seem fair either Where's the diversity G? Where are Mom & Pop?

Goofle caused this whole problem with their "link is a vote" BS. Spammers really jumped on that one and screwed up the whole interwebz.

29. Thanks From:

Spammers really jumped on that one and screwed up the whole interwebz.
    Indeed. I believe that was/is a big part of the problem. It became too easy for some - and a business for others - to artificially create those "voting" links.

Now there is a cottage industry forming to "Please remove the link you have to my website." That will be another avenue for the so-called SEO experts to persue.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

31. Thanks From:

Back in 2008 GAN discussed the influence of SERPs, PPC and display on sales. The answer was that all three gave higher sales. They also said that SERPs and PPC produced higher sales. Since then they have stated that PPC had no influence on SERPs. Looks like we are coming full circle.

I am waiting for Google certification to verify that your site is 100% Google compliant, only $1000. Just click the link at the top of the page!

33. Thanks From:

I'll let you know when that happens, I have Marvin on speed dial.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast