Copyright Problems with the Afiliate's Images?
    I'm new and this could be a silly question, but i'm a webmaster expert in prestashop and online shops and I don't know if this is possible.

I want to make a affiliate site that looks like a shop and redirects to the affiliate web, it is possible and legal? Can I use the pictures of my affiliate (for example a iphone picture)?

Sorry if its a stupid question...

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Pablo,

Why impersonate a store if you're not running a store. I think this is more confusing to a user than it needs to be. It can also open the door to trademark/copyright issues if you "borrow" images from your merchants other than data feed provided images in a way that causes any confusion to the shopper over which site is the real ecommerce site.

My case is unique because I manage programs in licensed sports products where vendors are very restrictive on branding. I actually turn down a lot of applications from affiliates who build shops that have both domains, and layouts that are clearly intended to impersonate an official team store, or even our store.

The name of the game now is not just to throw up a feed based site, it's to add some value beyond the feed content. Review products, review merchants, curate (collect your favorites and comment on them, ) tell why you recommend a product, and make sure you disclose the affiliate relationship.

Just my $.02
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

3. Thanks From:

So if I use, for example, a ikea furnishing picture in my web, even if I am an ikea affiliate, They could be copyright problems with ikea?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    if you use the pictures they give you through their datafeed - you shouldn't have an issue at all. Straight product images that are used in conjunction with an affiliate link should always be fine. The issue comes if you start borrowing the other images and logos that they use to define the look and feel of their site and define their brand. If you start using that to make shoppers think that your site is the official site, or are close enough to potentially cause confusion, you're going to get in trouble.

As a rule, stick to what the merchant makes available either as banners or through their product feed. If you want to use something else from their site, ask the affiliate manager if it's cool. And never "borrow" (steal) sales or seo copy from a merchant site without permission. Stick to what they make available in the data feed or write original content.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Doesn't hurt to ask the affiliate manager before starting a project, that way there are no surprises once you start making money.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread