What is the best way to make money with Clickbank?
    Greetings!

My name is Travis and I am new to the forums. I used to frequent the Warrior forums as well as Wicked Fire, and I pretty much gave up on them due to all of the misleading garbage that is religiously posted there. So I did some digging around and was recommended to try this forum.

This is my question: What is the best way to make it as a successful Clickbank affiliate?

Should I build an authority site? And then promote clickbank items through email marketing?

Or should I do a product review site? How well do product review sites convert?

What got me so interested in becoming a clickbank affiliate is that a friend recently slapped up a website and in only 2 days he got 4 clickbank sales. So basically he made $200 in 2 days. The problem is that he isn't really sure how he did it because he tried many marketing methods and is not sure where the traffic came from.

Im guessing that this is why analytics is so important?

Anyways, Id rather not do the ole 'trial and error' thing for too long. I wish that I had a solid gameplan to execute as a clickbank affiliate.

Any tips?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Why aren't you on the Clickbank forum asking that. Not much of a Clickbank following here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Why aren't you on the Clickbank forum asking that. Not much of a Clickbank following here.
    Oh ok. I was not aware of this?

I was under the impression that affiliate marketing was affiliate marketing?

What is the reasoning behind there not being a clickbank following in these forums?

Do s search on Clickbank

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravD View Post
    What is the reasoning behind there not being a clickbank following in these forums?
    Much of what Clickbank offers is composed of ebooks touting get rich quick schemes. The affiliate marketers here sell real products, not phony dreams. We deal in blenders and TVs and shoes and towels and tables and chairs and garden tools and backpacks, etc., not in scamming $97.77 from some poor guy who needs it to feed his family.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Much of what Clickbank offers is composed of ebooks touting get rich quick schemes. The affiliate marketers here sell real products, not phony dreams. We deal in blenders and TVs and shoes and towels and tables and chairs and garden tools and backpacks, etc., not in scamming $97.77 from some poor guy who needs it to feed his family.
    Ok great! I too would love to sell shoes and backpacks and collect my $2 dollar commissions!

How can I get started?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Ok great! I too would love to sell shoes and backpacks and collect my $2 dollar commissions!
    Careful, don't set your goals too high - don't want to be disappointed...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Careful, don't set your goals too high - don't want to be disappointed...
    Haha!

Well...the only reason that I was interested in Clickbank is because Amazon commissions are such a joke.

Who can realistically drive enough traffic to an Amazon affiliate site to even make enough money to buy a burger and coke?

I heard that Google slapped these type of product review sites that are strictly affiliate marketing sites? I can't seem to find any in Google when doing simple searches. All I see are the big guys like CNET or Engadget.....how can us small guys make it?

Well...the only reason that I was interested in Clickbank is because Amazon commissions are such a joke.

Who can realistically drive enough traffic to an Amazon affiliate site to even make enough money to buy a burger and coke?
    We don't get Amazon here in Colorado. That being said, many affiliates supplement their regular offerings with Amazon. I'm sure there are many who have made/still making a nice living promoting Amazon. It's not the per sale folks look at, but the overall number. Amazon is but ONE merchant.

I heard that Google slapped these type of product review sites that are strictly affiliate marketing sites? I can't seem to find any in Google when doing simple searches. All I see are the big guys like CNET or Engadget.....how can us small guys make it?
    The Google is ALWAYS slapping. Part of the environment if you use the Google SERPs as a marketing channel. Just like merchants need to diversify with multiple marketing channels, so do affiliates.

How to make it? Diversification in the programs you market. Diversification in the style of websites you have, and Diversification in your marketing methods.

"Content" will always be mentioned - but content is subjective. It's not just words on a page - it's the VALUE to your visitors that makes true content. Don't build for the bots - bots never buy anything...

10. Thanks From:

I know an affiliate making $200k/year that was getting 20% from Amazon. So much so that he moved to another state due to the tax nexus. There is more to Amazon than selling DVDs.

I run a clothing affiliate program on AvantLink that is averaging $109 per order with 4% conversion. On an 8% commission rate that's $8.72 a sale. Another is selling emergency food on CJ at 12% commission did $896 average order last month which means $107.49 average commission. There are better things you can do than run Clickbank unless of course you are the one creating the course and getting CB affs to sell it.

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I know an affiliate making $200k/year that was getting 20% from Amazon. So much so that he moved to another state due to the tax nexus. There is more to Amazon than selling DVDs.

I run a clothing affiliate program on AvantLink that is averaging $109 per order with 4% conversion. On an 8% commission rate that's $8.72 a sale. Another is selling emergency food on CJ at 12% commission did $896 average order last month which means $107.49 average commission. There are better things you can do than run Clickbank unless of course you are the one creating the course and getting CB affs to sell it.
    Thanks for the advice!

But my main question is if it is better to do a review type of site? Or pick a niche where I can become an authority with how to articles and then mix in some product reviews here and there?

And about how long does it take to build up a good site from scratch if using only sweat equity?

But my main question is if it is better to do a review type of site? Or pick a niche where I can become an authority with how to articles and then mix in some product reviews here and there?
    That's up to you to find your niche. Try several. You may find you have a greater knack and find more enjoyment doing one over the other.

And about how long does it take to build up a good site from scratch if using only sweat equity?
    You'll know when you get there - you'll be satisfied with your efforts and with the results you are seeing. It really is different for everyone...

15. Thanks From:

If I were an affiliate starting out I would use datafeeds to create a site then write reviews on the top selling products. I would also incorporate coupons/deals to help close on the sale. Build a sustainable model.

Will let affiliates answer how long it will take.

17. Thanks From:

When you started your first job how long did it take to get to team leader, how long to supervisor, how long to manager.

That is along similar lines to your question. We all move at different speeds and are more or less effective as the next person.

So there is no definitive answer.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

19. Thanks From:

Oh ok. I was not aware of this?

I was under the impression that affiliate marketing was affiliate marketing?
    And you're not wrong,

According to what it says here: About Us - ClickBank

The Web's Most Trusted Digital Marketplace

Founded in 1998, ClickBank is a secure online retail outlet for more than 50,000 digital products and 100,000 active affiliate marketers.

ClickBank makes a sale somewhere in the world every three seconds, safely processing more than 30,000 digital transactions a day. We serve more than 200 countries, and are consistently ranked as one of the most highly-trafficked sites on the web.
    (Bold and red, by me.)

That's another story...

But, I think that one of the main reasons that not too many people talk about clickbank here, is because there is a lot of scamming that goes on clickbank by some of their users there, even though there are some legitimate products for sale there.

And so what if they're digital products? And as long as they're legit, who cares?

I kow that I will get bash for this post for going against the norm, but the truth is the truth.

I don't see what's the big (bla,bla,bla.) difference between promoting a legit digital product, or course here, whether it's from ClickBank or any other network active here...

If you search ABW deeply, you'll find many digital products from networks that do have a forum, or a following in here, and you will find some bad issues with some of those digital products from other networks that we like like better than ClickBank...

Let's get real!

Affiliate marketing is affiliate marketing, and since there is a marketing for everything, who is who to decide that just because one network is dedicated to the digital marketplace category, that such network doesn't belong to the affiliate marketing category?

While mentioning ClickBank products here might be tabu for one reason or another for some members, some people are forgetting that the adult category caused alot of controversy here on ABW, until those that promote the adult category, got their own private forum, here on ABW...

Let's put a stop the double standard hypocrisy once and for all!

Just because we don't like a product, a merchant, a network, or a category, there is no need to jump on any newbie that may ask a question about someting that we may not like, or may don't promote.

BTW, while I may still have an open account on ClickBank for over the last ten years, I haven't loged in or promoted any product there for over the last seven years, so I am not defending ClickBank for making me any money lately, I am just stating the fact that, just because they may only sell digital products, that doesn't mean that there is no legit affiliate marketing, in ClickBank.

21. Thanks From:

Selling adult products is a legitimate business endeavor - adults are knowingly purchasing real products for their use. There is nothing wrong ethically or morally, and in most cases legally, with that, in my opinion. (though I do not work in that niche).

Selling scamy, phony products to unsuspecting people who think they are buying a legitimate entry into a new business venture, oft times spending money they cannot afford, is morally and ethically wrong, though, unfortunately, also usually legal.

That is the line, and I prefer to sell real products, not to knowingly sell phony pipe dreams, and it seems that the majority of people who have populated this forum agree by their words (or more usually, lack of words on the subject) and actions.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

23. Thanks From:

Selling scamy, phony products to unsuspecting people who think they are buying a legitimate entry into a new business venture, oft times spending money they cannot afford, is morally and ethically wrong, though, unfortunately, also usually legal.
    I agree 1000% with you on that statement!

But, I will get back to you on the other part later...

25. Thanks From:

So that mean that there is not any real products for sale on Clickbank?

Come on AffiliateHound, really?

I just did a simple search for "Dog Training" in the Clickbank Marketplace, and I just found over 300 digital products related to the gang category.

Are you going to tell me that none of these dog products are legit?

Displaying results 1-50 out of 379

Dog Training In 15 Minutes A Day!
    Fast And Esay Dog Training
    Dog Training Tutor
    Dog Training Zone.
    Dog Training Master Class
    New Dog Obedience Training Guide
    Positive Reinforcement Training A Dog Owners Manual
    Dog Training Home Study Course.
    Good Dog Happy Baby: Dog Training For Expecting Parents
    Ten Natural Steps To Training The Family Dog
    Potty Train Your Puppy With Litter Box - House Training Dogs Indoors
    Train Your Dog Yourself!
    New Dog Training Video Series(view mobile)
    How To Litter Box Train Your Dog.
    How To Become A Dog Trainer
    Dog Behaviour Training Manual
    Dog Breeders Bible
    Golden Retriever Care And Training
    All About Boxers - Complete Boxer Dog Ebook, Audio And Video Package
    Dog Photography: A Point & Shoot Manual
    Do It Yourself-complete Dog Training Program.
    Never Do These If You Love Your Dog!
    Pit Bull Zone Training Guide
    Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
    House Training Any Puppy
    Going Rawr! A Complete Guide To Putting Your Dog On A Raw Food Diet
    25 Food Recipes For Dogs
    German Shepherd Handbook
    Pet Grooming Course
    Dog Treat Recipes
    The Pitbull Guide.
    Pitbull 101 - Training Guide
    The Ultimate Chihuahua Care Handbook
    Purebred Dog Registrations
    The Essential Shih Tzu Guide
    All About Golden Retrievers!
    I don't know why you hate ClickBank that much but, I am going to tell you a secret now.

Even though I wasn't interested in promoting any ClickBank products again for a while, just by re-looking at the "Dog Training" category that I found in order to make this post... I'm now considering taking a deeper look at clickbank, and maybe start some new sites just to promote some categories like the one I mention above.

Thank you for the inspiration!

BTW, do not go to clickbank and steal my new idea now, because thanks to you and this thread, I may open a new dog stuff related online shop before 12-21-2012

27. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    I never said that. This is what I said: "Much of what Clickbank offers is composed of ebooks touting get rich quick schemes."

They have dog training books, and gardening books, and all sorts of other things, but the bulk of what they offer is phony crap generally written by people who never use the "plan" but who just write about it and sell their outdated, commonly known stuff or ineffective creations.

And, I did try CB, offering an array of their gardening ebooks, and it was a total waste - Adsense in that space was much more profitable.

29. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    When you started your first job how long did it take to get to team leader, how long to supervisor, how long to manager.

That is along similar lines to your question. We all move at different speeds and are more or less effective as the next person.

So there is no definitive answer.
    Thanks for this great advice!

No one has ever worded it to me in this way before.

It makes a lot more sense if you think of it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post

Come on AffiliateHound, really?

I just did a simple search for "Dog Training" in the Clickbank Marketplace, and I just found over 300 digital products related to the gang category.

Are you going to tell me that none of these dog products are legit?

I don't know why you hate ClickBank that much but, I am going to tell you a secret now.

Even though I wasn't interested in promoting any ClickBank products again for a while, just by re-looking at the "Dog Training" category that I found in order to make this post... I'm now considering taking a deeper look at clickbank, and maybe start some new sites just to promote some categories like the one I mention above.

Thank you for the inspiration!

BTW, do not go to clickbank and steal my new idea now, because thanks to you and this thread, I may open a new dog stuff related online shop before 12-21-2012

YES! Do it!

This type of response is what I came looking for!

32. Thanks From:

TravD, as you can see, there's pros & cons to every affiliate situation you could possibly create. There are very valuable tips & concerns throughout this thread. I would only add, don't only look for the response you want, because you might miss the response you need.

If you have a site up and running, start applying to merchants through networks such as Shareasale, CommissionJunction, LinkShare, AvantLink, AffiliateWindow (U.S.), etc. It costs you nothing as an affiliate to become a member of a network or to be an affiliate for a merchant.

Chuck mentioned datafeeds. GoldenCan costs nothing, PopShops offers a very limited free acct. and newcomer Sellfire is also a contender. There are several others as well. You must be an approved publisher with a merchant in order to include their products & receive commissions.

There's tons of free info here on ABW. Click on the main forum heading & scroll through the topics, pick out a few that interest you. Use "Search." Start reading through some threads, but don't let negative info cause you to not act. Just because a few don't have success with something doesn't mean you can't.

All that said, much success to you!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

34. Thanks From:

Great thread guys, and truth to be found on both sides.

Indeed there are scammers on CB, just as there is in my "made for spam, scam email marketers" email inbox where they are peddling one thing after another (many those same steal your dream programs) and these email marketers (who've given email marketing a bad name) are just as bad as some of those on CB (and many other places).

But not "everything" on CB is bad and Mr. Sal's comment was exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the thread. There are Many REAL info products to be found there and have been an actual help to many, be it some sort of dog help, stop smoking, acne or hobbies of some sort, CB is more than just a dream killer farm.

Thanks for the great input guys!

36. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread