How to manage expired content on affiliate site?
    Hi, I run my affiliate website in wich I promote different tech deals, coupons and offers from many stores. As you might have guessed, this kind of content tends to expire, but how should I follow up?

Not every retailer tells expiry date for their deals wich I promote, so is there other way rather than clicking 1000 links a day to check if offer is still abailible?

Also, what should I do with content I find to be expired? Leave links to 'em and show 404 or 301 redirect to related category? Or completely remove everything related to this promotion?

I had an idea, but it takes some serious programming and I don't think I'll be able to do that - create custom page in wich I see all my active posts (deals) as a list with iframe next to it, so basically I can see if the page loads as it should, or throw 404.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If a merchant's deal expires and they are too lazy to set an expiration date then you haven't done anything wrong. You can set a way for visitors to report expired coupons then verify and remove.

Good question, I was faced with the same issue.. managing coupons and deals require more manual intervention than I realized. If you "set it and forget it", you might be penalized by the merchant (for expired deals), but could also lose sales if the landing page has changed.

My rule of thumb (for offers with no expiry date) is to set an expiry date a few months from now.. and once it rolls over, I check the link against the network (sometimes clicking to see if it's still active). I'm also selective about how many deals I publish per store..

It's not a perfect solution, but it works.

4. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    If you are using WP, have you considered installing a link checker plugin?
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Banned
    This reminded me of something! Well! I would share my view as being on the opposite side than tomsko is. I felt very bad with a product which was still being displayed on other different sites as advertisements(or I would say "links") even if it was sold out. I got to know this when I was ordering for it on the main site. This was really upsetting.

Wizter
    Plugins for broken link checking wont work, because expired links are not broken, they just redirect to similar product category on site or homepage.And "report broken on redirect" is also bad idea, because all my affiliate links redirect at least 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Good question, I was faced with the same issue.. managing coupons and deals require more manual intervention than I realized. If you "set it and forget it", you might be penalized by the merchant (for expired deals), but could also lose sales if the landing page has changed.

My rule of thumb (for offers with no expiry date) is to set an expiry date a few months from now.. and once it rolls over, I check the link against the network (sometimes clicking to see if it's still active). I'm also selective about how many deals I publish per store..

It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
    Ok thanks for advice, but Im looking for better method so I can identify expired links within one day. And have you come up with solution on handling expired offers? For an example, if user finds deal on Google, the best thing would be to redirect to same category Active offers, I think :?

Chuck, I think this will be the way to go. Ill keep checking manually, but Report Expired button could also help

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread