Help With Removing Unwanted Backlinks
    Sorry if this is old information. Somehow 4 hours could be considered "old."

Matt Cutts posted a video Google Webmasters - YouTube

that talks about a new Google tool that some people might want to use that will tell Google which links they would like them to not consider.

It's called the Disavow Links tool.

Just thought someone may be happy to hear about this.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    No, this is very new. Webmasters have been clamoring for it since before they became penalized and even reminded the Google that Bing already had one.

Thanks for sharing!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks for posting, this is very big news indeed...

The concept of negative SEO campaigns has been around for a while, it's about time Google acted on this.

Can't find the original thread now, but there was a poster here who went through hell and back with a major negative campaign against him. Finally got a real person at G to reverse the penalty - I don't know if it was too late to recover, might go looking for that thread tomorrow, ask him how it's going.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

5. Thanks From:

Can you elaborate on a negative link? Is this like a bad link farm experiment that you think google is penalising you for? Does google show you all the links it doesnt like now so you know what to avoid in the future?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot_diggity View Post
    Can you elaborate on a negative link? Is this like a bad link farm experiment that you think google is penalising you for? Does google show you all the links it doesnt like now so you know what to avoid in the future?
    Hot D... lets say that your supercoolsite.com is my competition and I decided that I'm going to spend $1.25 and pay someone to create 10,000 spammy backlinks that all point to your supercoolsite.com.

Once google indexes that mess, given that I chose the blackest of black-hat links, your site won't move forward in the rankings, but you'll probably move backwards for having spammy links.

With the disavow tool you can (after you find all of these links) submit a list of links you want Google to ignore. And, in theory, you'll then re-bound from the negative movement.

That is on the surface... Below the surface, Google may have other plans for what they learn via this tool. For example, Google may be creating a master list of crappy links so they can punish everyone who has used links from those sources in the past, in further updates.

Pubcon and many forums are bursting with conspiracy theories about what Google is really up to here and a common response I've heard from professional SEOs is to not use this tool unless you've been absolutely crushed from past updates and know exactly which links caused that crushing blow... Almost like a 'everything you say to Google can be held against you in future udpates' kind of mentality.

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread