Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    the Google search results and you...
    Probably not an affiliate out there that doesn't enjoy free traffic from the Google - I'm no exception.

Be hard pressed not to find an affiliate who hasn't been affected negatively by recent algo updates/data refreshes. Speaking with affiliate managers and they are seeing drops in their affiliate channels. I know there are exceptions, because for every "loser" in these updates, mathematically/logically there has to be a winner - somewhere.

I suspect there will be a major update/refresh announced soon. Suspected something happened two days ago on the 16th as a review of our stats showed all the typical indicators that occur right before or during such updates. However, haven't heard hide nor hair from Matt "the Cyborg" Cutts - just some other rumblings on forums.

The SERPs are a total mess and extremely volatile even after a month since Panda 3.9.2 on September, 18th.

Yesterday (1 day after a suspected "adjustment") one of our sites went from #3 (we are usually #2 or #3) on the Google to #7. Replaced by cheesy sites. Today, back to #2.

Other sites of ours are seeing even more drastic positioning. We don't just monitor standard keywords but patterns in how users search. One such pattern returned NOTHING but FB "page" posts and nonsensical .info domains. THREE pages, 30 results, of these .info domains.

Additional searches today consisently showed video related results. Not saying the videos were related, saying that these were video results and not much more. Our site has nothing to do with videos and neither does the search phrase.

1. YouTube
    2. Legit website
    3. Video Download site
    4. Video site
    5. Video site
    6. Video site
    7. Same video site as #6
    8. German website
    9. Russian website
    10. OUR WEBSITE

The Google's "machine learning" has a long way to go. A kindergarten age child could do better - and realize they are better.

What have others experienced? Not looking for those that come in and say "content is king", because "content" isn't just words - it's actually perceived "value". That perception belongs to the visitor, not a machine.

Am a statistics nut because numbers do not lie.

Anyone else?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    The Google's "machine learning" has a long way to go. A kindergarten age child could do better - and realize they are better.

What have others experienced? Not looking for those that come in and say "content is king", because "content" isn't just words - it's actually perceived "value". That perception belongs to the visitor, not a machine.

Am a statistics nut because numbers do not lie.

Anyone else?
    All I can say is that for the last six months I have come to the conclusion that regardless of all the algos they do to supposedly improve the results, I don't see any real value in most of the results they show on the first page...

Google sucks!

Webmasters have always complained about the SERPs. However, I agree - the last six months the SERPs have been so bad and it seems, to me, that with each algo refresh/update they are getting worse.

At some point one has to think that the Google will actually attempt to clean them up/fix them. I have heard NON-webmasters complaining. Seriously, when Bing is a doing a better job, something is DRASTICALLY wrong...

And if anyone thinks what the Google is doing to the SERPs is for the betterment of the internet - think again.

They are doing it to drive competition out of the market and increase earnings.

Proof in the pudding -

Trading of the Google stock has been suspended!

google stock - Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?num=100....1.0dNNCnc3Qgw
    Last edited by Convergence; October 18th, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: link baiting...

why would you link to google for that ??

Ooopsy...

I share your theory, Convergence.. however..

With my own sites, I have seen a shift in what is deemed important. Pre-Panda and Penguin, you could get away with sloppy code if you produced decent original content... better yet, a datafeed site could get an occasional (major) bump without any content attached to the domain.

But I honestly believe G has tightened things up, which is not necessarily a bad thing in theory. In practice, it's not that easy - for example, if you produce good content, but use a buggy Wordpress template, you might never rank well. Or when you install a new template as part of a redesign, it might cost you in rankings. And god forbid you install a plugin that contains a hidden backlink to a developer (pointing at myself!).

For one of my content sub-domains, traffic is coming back - keeping in mind I add 3-4 pieces daily (proper content with my own words), all I did was tidy it up in the past few months. Proper meta tags, consistent formatting, noindex category pages, removed tag clouds (which I loved for this section, it made complete sense). Cleaned up the site "under the hood"..

But I have also been following some long-tail searches of my own titles.. some have moved, others haven't budged.

It seems the index is a little "stuck"... which ties in with your timing comment.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    . And god forbid you install a plugin that contains a hidden backlink to a developer (pointing at myself!).
    How can we find out if our plugins have these links?
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Tying this in with the google earnings problem - maybe the market has finally caught up with google's crappy results. They aren't making money because people are leaving. They turned the dial on the evil-meter a little too far and it didn't work. ???

Will they keep pushing crap or will they roll some of this BS back?

superCool's results have been up, down and sideways for weeks (or months?). It almost seems like Google has lost control of it's own index. Sometimes when you make too many changes at the same time there are unintended consequences and they are not easy to undo.

Death spiral from here ? what comes around goes around right?

@Teezone

Sure, a site can fix mistakes that hurt it in the past. But to what level?

@superCool

My take is the Google has been creating crap SERPs on purpose, mixing in more opportunities to drive traffic to revenue opportunites, IE: YouTube, Google Shopping, etc - Earnings aren't dropping because of bad SERPs - Earnings are dropping because the GROWTH the Google has experienced in the past isn't happening. The Google saw this - hence the mucked up SERPs and attempts to drive traffic to PPC ads, YouTube, etc.

FTC is not going to open an investigation because a couple of affiliates or users complained about the SERPs - they're opening it because MAJOR websites AND smaller website owners have complained. It's as evident as their SERPs...

11. Thanks From:

The link I provided above had links to articles about the stock being suspended. The Google has removed those.

They have not manipulated the SERPs on the 2nd link...

Correction - they have...

All but one link are UK sites...

FTC - you seeing how easy this is for the Google?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And now some of the links have returned on the first search...

maybe you're right - paid clicks have increased by 1/3 over last year

.... from Google Shares Fall on Premature Earnings, Net Down 20% - WSJ.com
    For the third quarter, the average cost that advertisers paid Google per click fell 15% from a year earlier, and fell 3% from the prior quarter. Also, paid clicks, a measure of how frequently consumers click on Google's advertisements, increased 33% from a year earlier and were up 6% from the second quarter.

@superCool

Just maybe...

And now they're gone again...

Here's an example of the bad results I've been seeing.

These are auto-redirect affiliates and SERP spammers.

These are NOT the same results from a week ago when I reported over 50 to the Google, the networks, and to the merchants. The Google removed those and new one's have taken those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    Will they keep pushing crap or will they roll some of this BS back?
    Timing. Watch for an FTC announcement, watch the SERPs, watch the week of Thanksgiving, watch the SERPs...

Yeap noticed it too. Actually hubby did with one of the sites we do together and has him in a meltdown practically. lol Site has ranked first since it practically started but last week or so it's been dropping to I think 6th. (don't wanna look to see if has been anymore) It's never dropped at all the entire time til now. Above it now have been a few merchants, Flicker (which has no content) and couple other sites with hardly any content.

Has really demoralized him. I keep telling him to try not to think about it but not helping any. He hates the big G and doesn't want to play their games if that's how it's gonna be. My thinking will prevail tho. am not giving up on that site.

Really at this point don't understand what the big G expects or even what it's purpose is anymore other than cynical side of me thinks somehow it's just all about the money to them regardless what anybody who uses them wants from them.

Here's an example of the bad results I've been seeing.

These are auto-redirect affiliates and SERP spammers.

These are NOT the same results from a week ago when I reported over 50 to the Google, the networks, and to the merchants. The Google removed those and new one's have taken those spots.
    Sorry but, there is no way in hell that I would help my main competitor by snitching on those that somehow get listed before me...

Look, I may not like any of those as**oles that cheat the system and get listed on top, but first... since I don't work for G. and second, since G. controls all the algos, they should know who is doing what by now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
    Sorry but, there is no way in hell that I would help my main competitor by snitching on those that somehow get listed before me...

Look, I may not like any of those as**oles that cheat the system and get listed on top, but first... since I don't work for G. and second, since G. controls all the algos, they should know who is doing what by now...
    Help my competitors? NO. Helping ME. Before the .info SERP spammers we had NO problem being somewhere in the top 5 positions and definitely no problem being on page one.

BTW, it's not unusual for me to spend a couple hours a week reporting crap affiliates...

Help my competitors? NO. Helping ME.

BTW, it's not unusual for me to spend a couple hours a week reporting crap affiliates...
    Helping you?

How?

The Google removed those and new one's have taken those spots.

Mr. Sal, that was one example. Other times it's only one or two bad players before us.

We market more than that one product, LOL.

Yes, it is helping ME. Because I'm also speaking with the networks about bad players. Speaking to merchants about how they can implement change to their programs that makes it more difficult for bad players to do what they do. Bad players EXPLOIT the merchants becaue the merchants, for whatever reason, allow it to happen. It STARTS with the merchant. When you educate a merchant on how to tighten up their rules, it's beneficial to all GOOD players...

24. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    All the sites are either .info sites, or facebook posts/notes created out of datafeed. What I don't understand is how are the fooling Google. Why does Google think they deserve to rank. Do they have better backlinks(thru black hat). They definitely don't have unique content. What is it about those sites that Google likes...

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    All the sites are either .info sites, or facebook posts/notes created out of datafeed. What I don't understand is how are the fooling Google. Why does Google think they deserve to rank. Do they have better backlinks(thru black hat). They definitely don't have unique content. What is it about those sites that Google likes...
    Very simple "technique" that is common knowledge:

You get a huge SERP surge on a newly registered site.

At .99 cents from 1and1 they can flood the SERPs with countless sub-domains for each .99 cents spent. They don't even update them. NEVER renew them. Make more than .99 cents per domain/sub-domain a day.

Pull up the whois on those domains. Many were registered in September.

Hell, I worked on the Google hard on one guy who was spamming the SERPs. Look how many domains HE owns: 13,710 - nearly ALL .info domains...

ABW Ambassador
    I would assume the PHDs at Google should be able to do something about them very easily. May be they are too busy designing driver less cars.

28. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast