Affiliate Manager
    Clever Affiliate Scheme on Share a Sale
    I have an affiliate that is scamming me on two programs. The way it works is as follows:
    The affiliate bids on trademark/brand terms on Google. He creates an ad with that lands on the company site but through his site that is using a simple javascript redirect. Apparently, every so often he runs a process that inserts his affiliate link on the page but it doesn't exist the rest of the time.
    I can't catch him with the affiliate link on the site he is using to outrank us on search, because every time I check I only see the simple javascript redirect to our company site without the affiliate link.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how I can catch him in the act?
    Last edited by teezone; October 19th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    got an ID? I can have the guys at BrandVerity look into it .

PM me if you don't want to make it public.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Affiliate Manager
    I'm new to these forums. How can I PM you - I don't see that option. Only email and IM options are showing.

ABW Ambassador
    The ad on google.... What's the display url. Is it the merchant site's url or the affiliate site's url. If its the affiliate site's url and he has a redirect on the LP, that's against the Adwords terms. You may want to report it to Google.

If the display url on the ad is that of the merchant's site, is that allowed by your SAS terms. If not you can definitely take action.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    aaronnechama,

Make sure to report this to ShareASale using the PPC Violation Report Tool in your account.

It gives us the opportunity to alert the Affiliate, give them a "Strike" for the violation, and remove them from the network if they have received 3 Strikes throughout the entire network.

Some Affiliates are removed on the first Strike for egregious abuse such as geo-targetting and intentional invisibility... which it sounds like he may be up to here.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    The ad on google.... What's the display url. Is it the merchant site's url or the affiliate site's url. If its the affiliate site's url and he has a redirect on the LP, that's against the Adwords terms. You may want to report it to Google.

If the display url on the ad is that of the merchant's site, is that allowed by your SAS terms. If not you can definitely take action.
    The display URL is our merchant site URL and that is causing us to be outranked from our ads showing.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    aaronnechama,

Make sure to report this to ShareASale using the PPC Violation Report Tool in your account.
    Brian,
    Thanks for reaching out. As far as reporting this violation to Share a Sale, I wouldn't be able to since I don't have any proof that the affiliate is behind the hijacked ads. When I am able to crawl the page that is pointed to, there is nothing on the page to indicate his affiliate ID, which is required in order to file a PPC violation.
    My plan is to just remove him from the program once I catch him, and place feedback on his detail page with a link to my site where I can describe the scheme in detail. I will also highlight to all the readers how Share a Sale will do nothing to protect their customers from these kinds of schemes. Filing a PPC violation with Share a Sale is a real pain.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Aaron, contact me if you are an AM.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    aaronnechama,

Can you at least send me the userID that you are experiencing the problem with so I can try to research ?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Aaron, contact me if you are an AM.
    Chuck,
    I sent you an email to the link in your profile but you didn't respond. Please let me know the best way to reach you.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale View Post
    aaronnechama,

Can you at least send me the userID that you are experiencing the problem with so I can try to research ?
    What is your contact info, Brian?

shareasale //at// shareasale.com will get to him Aaron.

The other positive on sharing in here is that if other managers know what's up, we can check in our programs and see if the guy is doing the same thing and throw some more "strikes" on his account and get him tossed if he's up to no good.

Aaron, gave you access to the AM Only private forum if you want to run this past your peers.

15. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    I posted the affiliate ID and name on the Private AM forum for suspected fraud. Hope others will see and remove the snake before he causes them damage.
    I also voided all the commissions he earned since the last locking period. SAS has given me credit for now, we'll see if gets challenged.

Did you Leave feedback on this affiliate in SAS so other merchants can see it?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Did you Leave feedback on this affiliate in SAS so other merchants can see it?
    No, because by the time I removed him from the program I could no longer access his profile. I still have him on another program that I manage, so I can do it there. Should I leave a link there that will take readers to another webpage where they can see the whole story that I will put together?

Not sure if you can link out, check the rules there or submit a ticket asking that question.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread