Enthusiastic affiliate managers who then do nothing
    There are two programmes I work with and have done for a while, one does very well in sale numbers and $$, the other does well in sale numbers but they are usually quite small.

Both have been asking me for a while how they can help (blanket then individual emails), what do I need? Can we do anything? etc.

So having looked at stats and thought long and hard about it, I ask each of them for stuff that's not so difficult to help move forwards. I've just looked to see how long ago it was as I thought it had been long enough to expect a reply by now.

AM 1 I emailed 12 days ago - no reply
    AM 2 I emailed 17 days ago - no reply

Why do they do this?

Not asking for help as such, just feeling a bit exasperated.

Pual,

If anyone of us had the correct answer for that, I think that person would be rolling in the green backs.
    That's about like merchants that have a well laid out data feed and then are offline for months and never reply back after 3 emails. why?
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Some have followed thru and have appreciated those, very, very much. Some I think have good intentions to start out with but then may be naive of me to think so lol but maybe they send that same message out to all their affiliates and just get soooooo overwhelmed they haven't been able to get back to you yet. ??

Some may just be going thru the motions. Maybe been told to do that but then don't want to take the time to do the work involved in it. Unless somebody were to go over their head nobody's going to know so they don't care. Don't know how affiliate managers are paid so don't know if it's done by amount of sales in program or is just a set salary. If they're gonna get a predetermined salary they just may look at it as they'll do what they're supposed to do but not do any added work. Like some people go thru life doing the bare minimum and think that's ok, never thinking to go the extra bit to make it better. Taking real pride in your work doesn't seem the popular belief anymore to some people, they'll just show up and do the least amount expected of them. They get paid regardless so why bother to put any extra work into it to make it better. Personally, I think that's pretty sad it seems to be that way in a lot of cases.

Paul - I definitely feel your pain. Since day one there's been a certain niche I always wanted to do, even made a site devoted to it a while back since had found a few merchants. One day the owner of the one program wrote me an email similar to your email and suggested giving me my own exclusive coupon. Got all excited thinking that would really help so wrote back very nicely asking for one. Remember, he wrote to me and brought that subject up, I hadn't written to him. I asked for one and then he wouldn't give me one. Was too small an affiliate for him. Not too small to be in the program, just too small to give me the coupon.

Tried explaining how it didn't seem too fair for me to send him a possible customer only for that customer to see to enter a coupon then go find it at one of the large coupon sites. (Large coupon site wouldn't have featured one of his products, just the coupon. Possible customer found his product because it was on my site) Went thru numerous emails back and forth with him trying to explain the logic but couldn't get him to budge on it. Exasperated is exactlyy how I felt, can't understand at all. Giving me that coupon, what possible harm would it have done ??

Realize you didn't ask for help, but maybe sending them another email reminding them might help. Maybe, suggest you've had some email troubles and thought maybe they had sent the info but you hadn't gotten it.

Paul did you try email and the network communication?

I don't know what network the programs are on, but let's say
    they are on Commission Junction just for an illustrative point.

Sometimes when I want to communicate directly to an AM, I
    will use the CJ message system [and I often get a reply from the AM].

If there is an in-network communication channel use that.
    Remind the managers that they offered to help and now you have
    thought of something.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This is a topic near & dear to me right now..

Got dropped from a program for lack of sales (no warning, nothing) - the email said "if you have received this in error or want to discuss, etc".. I responded within TWO minutes of the email.

Three follow-ups later and a seemingly-abandoned LinkShare support ticket, I have yet to receive a response.

Shockingly unprofessional.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Tell those merchants to hire shopimar Affiliate Manager and Affiliate Program Management Tiered Structured Plans then tell those managers to come work for shopimar Careers I will show them all how easy it is to reply to affiliate posts and emails the same day even on weekends.

Customer Service.....

Oops (two paragraphs deleted by me) - on second thought - this may get deleted like a recent post...so I'll move the thoughts to one of my own blogs.
    Last edited by Bill; October 21st, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Deleted by me: Why bother?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

on second thought - this may get deleted like a recent post...so I'll move the thoughts to one of my own blogs
    Seriously..?

That's an unnecessary dig directed at those of us who have nothing to do with a gambling thread, and are just having a chat about affiliate managers.

9. Thanks From:

Why don't you have another Wild Turkey Bill and relax?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Oops ([I]two paragraphs deleted by me... on second thought - again threads mysteriously disappear....my own blogs.
    No worries Bill this one will not get deleted, speak your Affiliate Manager mind..

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Bill is more of a Makers Mark than a Wild Turkey guy... he's classy like that.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

13. Thanks From:

Unfortunately, there are affiliate managers who do not follow-up with their affiliates or referrals. They just promote the business and get you signed up but are not willing to help you even if you have several questions and concerns over the program.
    That is not an ethical behavior but what can you do about it?

Lack of response to emails is hardly unethical behavior ...

Are you an affiliate or merchant?

How do you think managers feel when we send out those kind of emails and we get a 1% response rate?

I hear what you are saying but it goes both ways. Lack of follow up is very frustrating.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

17. Thanks From:

Even though most affiliates often do not reply I do think they read or scan most emails.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    How do you think managers feel when we send out those kind of emails and we get a 1% response rate?

I hear what you are saying but it goes both ways. Lack of follow up is very frustrating.
    One difference is that AMs are usually employees on a salary who are getting paid to tick boxes whether it makes a difference or not, affiliates are usually self employed and don't do things unless they think it's worth-while.

See it as prospecting for new clients - ones who will actually work with you.

So you send a blanket email and get 1% response rate, but that 1% say - "As you asked, I'd like this from you", what next? provide that 1% (the 1% who bothered to reply) with what they asked for or ignore them as "it's always happening to you"?

For the record, one of the AMs I referred to in the OP started the ball rolling by phoning me.

I do wonder if sometimes we're just helping someone colour in their cv (resume) or meet their "I jumped through these hoops last week" targets.
    Last edited by Paul_Ward; October 23rd, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spooling errror

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread