Travel Affiliate Start Up......
    Hi There - Another Newbie trying to get started in a niche travel market, and would be grateful for some help.

I have read so much information over the last few months, but am still no nearer to starting anything....

Please could someone answer the following:
    1.As an affiliate, it is possible to hire an e-commerce platform with a shopping cart? Or are Affiliates never allowed to actually take the money & send it on to the merchant, minus the commission?
    2.Alternatively if I have a web site and employ an Affiliate network program, can I also add new affiliates myself at a later date, or do they all have to stream from the Network company?
    3.Am I allowed to have Affiliates & non Affiliates on my same web site?
    4.What if the affiliate companies I am able to link up to, don't appear to have all the information I need to fit in with my criteria. Can I contact the hotels etc directly, or am I only allowed contact with the merchant themselves?

Apologies if any of this has been covered in topics before - Many thanks!

Welcome to ABW - there are some experienced travel affiliates here, who can provide more specifics re: the nice, but to answer your questions:

1. You can't use an ecommerce platform or shopping cart - you don't take orders on behalf of the merchant, you simply send traffic to their site, and hope it converts.
    2. If you are planning to be a merchant yourself (ie. offer affiliates commission), you would employ a network or create an in-house program to attract affiliates.
    3. You can have whatever you like on your own site - however, if you are a merchant with a program, placing other affiliate links on your site is considered a "leak" to affiliates, ie. bad behaviour. You can't have it both ways.
    4. You can go direct if you choose, but I doubt they will pay you commission - affiliate programs are in place for a reason (administration, tracking, payments, etc).

3. Thanks From:

Reply to Teezone
    Hi there

Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated!
    Only problem is, I would be the affiliate publisher not merchant, so most of my queries still confuse me??? Since my last post, I have also found some details on white goods and re-branding, where I would be responsible for the billing.... have you any thoughts on this, or am I taking on more than I can chew, for a complete beginner?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by OotyKa View Post
    Hi there

Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated!
    Only problem is, I would be the affiliate publisher not merchant
    If you are the affiliate publisher you are providing advertising.
    The webpage viewing notices something on your site, clicks the link
    and buys something on the merchant site.
    All the financial deals are made from the merchant's site and the merchant
    pays you a commission.

If you have your own labels put on products to sell, that is different from
    affiliate marketing.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OotyKa View Post
    Since my last post, I have also found some details on white goods and re-branding, where I would be responsible for the billing.... have you any thoughts on this?
    Thanks again
    I'm not sure what you are referring to.
    I think you might be referring to drop shipping or private label [2 different things but they might refer to your question].
    These are different from affiliate marketing.

Drop shipping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [I would stay away from this as a newbie]

Private Label -- when you have built a following for your brand and your label is put on merchandise.

Do some research
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread