.ca for SEO boost in Canada?
    I'm considering using a .ca domain for a new website that primarily targets a Canadian audience and was wondering if anyone here has done this and feels that it has given them a significant boost in the SERPs? a minor boost? zero boost?

Thanks in advance.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

I've never done a country specific domain so take this for what it's worth...

The .ca could definitely help if used with other indicators. The server IP address can have an effect the intended country credibility, using Webmaster Tools to indicate your targeted area may help, but at the end of the day a Canadian address and phone number on the site would probably prove most helpful. Also, any type of Google Local/Places listing would help. Obviously, if you're not in Canada this would be difficult.

Yes, I'm going to host this site on a server with a Canadian IP. Hopefully I can find a decent Canadian hosting provider and if anyone has a suggestion there, I'm all ears.

I have to admit that I've never used Webmaster Tools, (I have anger issues regarding Google) but I guess I'll have to give in and acquiesce to G again.

I hadn't thought about the address and phone number bit, but I suppose I could tuck that info away on a quiet corner of my contact page - lol

Thanks for the response, it is appreciated.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    I'm considering using a .ca domain for a new website that primarily targets a Canadian audience and was wondering if anyone here has done this and feels that it has given them a significant boost in the SERPs? a minor boost? zero boost?

Thanks in advance.
    I haven't tried it personally, but I heard many SEO participants at SEOmoz suggesting it, especially when your main concern is the Canadian audience. There are many ways you can do though to still achieve what you want with a .com domain, such as having a Canadian IP, acquiring links from local Canadian sites, having your links on pages that are talking about Canada in general and many others.

5. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I have a few UK sites. Some have .co.uk, others have .com. All the sites are hosted in the US. I haven't noticed any advantage for the .co.uk sites over the .com sites.It cld be due to the server location. Didn't want to get a UK host just for a few sites.

P.S - Some UK based e-commerce sites have .com domains.

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread