More pressure on Google
    Two interesting articles..

Google chief to meet French president amid pay row - FRANCE 24

Google News Unveils Expandable Search Results | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I like to see this kind of pressure on the company - newspapers have been hit hard, and Google appears to be going after more snippets of their content. I also think we are past the argument of "it's their search engine, they can do what they want", and now in copyright-violation territory.

Actually this sounds like a good idea:
    The new aspect of Google News offers expandable search results, allowing the reader to drill down deeper into a story search query by looking through other news sources covering the same story. By grouping the stories into threaded, expandable clusters, Google is hoping to make finding your desired news search result easier and faster.
    Google News Unveils Expandable Search Results | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    I don't consider Techmeme to be in copyright violation because its snippets are small and they don't give away the entire articles.
    Copyright violation would depend among other factors the amount of the information being displayed and the methods of display. If it looks as if Google is taking and giving everything away in such a way that the other site's identity is being stolen then that could be a factor in copyright violation.
    GoogleBooks gives some chapters of the book but not the entire book and not enough for someone not to buy the book if that person's research depended on the book.

I think threaded aggregation is a great idea for research.

France and Germany have different Intellectual Property laws than the United States.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    - newspapers have been hit hard ...
    Newspapers have been hit hard not because of Google but because of their
    format. Many newspapers were continuing to make their paper editions primary but the revolution is in full swing: many people prefer to read their
    newspapers and magazines on tablets and smartphones instead of paper.

I used to be able to read as many New York Times articles over the Internet as I wanted (free). Now I have to be careful what I click because I am limited to the amount of articles I can read before I see a subscription notice -- gee, sometimes I go out to the local newsstand and buy the paper copy

I've seen article titles from other papers I want to read, and some of them I can but others lead to a page where I have to buy into a subscription.

I don't think that Google snippets are hurting newspapers. Time Magazine is changing to a responsive format so that many devices can read its articles. It's the format that is changing journalism, it's not the snippets that are changing journalism and the circulation of newspapers and magazines.
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 29th, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I lumped the two articles together, even though they are slightly different topics.

Personally, I do think G is walking a fine-line overall... perhaps their aggregation isn't overstepping the mark - if you look at it as its own product - but when you combine it with their overall strategy (preferred treatment of their own products, etc), I can see why newspapers would take issue. Just because it's technically possible - and may even help the user - that doesn't make it right.

I wasn't suggesting that newspapers have been hit hard because of Google, but the industry has changed, and yes, they need to adapt. For that reason, I can understand why they wouldn't want to participate in aggregation that scrapes more than it should - the "right" amount of scraping is probably subjective!
    As for the future of Google News as a product, that appears to depend on the region from which region you access the service. In Brazil, 90 percent of the country's newspapers have reportedly dropped support of the service over Google's refusal to pay for the right to aggregate their content.
    Last edited by teezone; October 29th, 2012 at 12:35 AM.

European nations plans law to enable publishers to collect revenue from search engines like Google

European nations plans law to enable publishers to collect revenue from search engines like Google - The Economic Times

France & Germany want Google to pay publishers when excerpts are displayed.
    Google says the idea of paying for links could threaten its engine.
    Google says the demands might backfire as Google would stop indexing French sites.
    Read this article, it's pretty interesting.

The idea of a "link tax" on Google?
    http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2...%99-tax-google
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

How a Melbourne Man Won Defamation Case vs Google -- David vs Goliath?

How a Melbourne Man Won Defamation Case vs Google -- David vs Goliath? - IBTimes UK

A man's image appeared in Google's Result page next to the image of a convicted
    druglord. Read this article that describes an interesting defamation case
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread