Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2011
    Posts
    97
    Question How many words per page (min and max)?
    I remember reading that you should aim to have between 250 and 500 words per page.

    The thinking was that less than 250 wasn't considered to be enough to be a useful article. But that once you had more than 500 words then there was no SEO benefit to write more. So people suggested that it was better to divide long articles into 2 pages which fitted into these numbers.

    I have read somewhere (on this forum I think) that the google now wants serious articles to have at least 400 words to ba taken as quality content. If this is true than what is the new maximum ?

    The reason that I ask is that I'm currently writing an article that looks like its going to end up somewhere between 1500 and 2000 words. Its going to be in about six sctions so it would quite naturaly devide into 2 separate pages.

    So which will be of more benefit to my site?

    1 page with about 1700 words

    Or 2 pages - one with about 1000 words and one with about 700 ?

    Thanks for taking time out to reply

  2. Thanks From:

  3. #2
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    I remember reading that you should aim to have between 250 and 500 words per page.

    The thinking was that less than 250 wasn't considered to be enough to be a useful article. But that once you had more than 500 words then there was no SEO benefit to write more. So people suggested that it was better to divide long articles into 2 pages which fitted into these numbers.

    I have read somewhere (on this forum I think) that the google now wants serious articles to have at least 400 words to ba taken as quality content. If this is true than what is the new maximum ?

    The reason that I ask is that I'm currently writing an article that looks like its going to end up somewhere between 1500 and 2000 words. Its going to be in about six sctions so it would quite naturaly devide into 2 separate pages.

    So which will be of more benefit to my site?

    1 page with about 1700 words

    Or 2 pages - one with about 1000 words and one with about 700 ?

    Thanks for taking time out to reply
    Concentrate more on the quality of your article (s) than the quantity of words, make it appealing to readers and give them what they expect from your site.

    You only have a few seconds to get their attention so make an impact in your opening sentence.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.


  4. #3
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    Concentrate more on the quality of your article (s) than the quantity of words, make it appealing to readers and give them what they expect from your site.

    You only have a few seconds to get their attention so make an impact in your opening sentence.
    Exactly; write for your audience, not for Google. 1700 words isn't long if the article is interesting and by the same token 200 poorly written words can seem like War and Peace.

    Have a friend that shares a similar interest read the article and ask them to give you an honest assessment. I don't know who to attribute this to, but a good rule of thumb when writing is that you should treat your article like a womans skirt; "It should be long enough to cover the topic, yet short enough to keep it interesting".

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  5. Thanks From:

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2011
    Posts
    97
    Point taken and I agree with what your both saying.

    But, assuming the article(s) are of good quality and written for humans not bots, one approach must be better for SEO than the other - don't you agree?

    At the end of the day, I have no budget to advertise and therfore rely on the traffic I get from the search engines.

  7. #5
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,744
    Hi Ritchie - There is no one size fits all when it comes to writing content. If you're worried about words per page, I would consider that to be forced writing. Nothing good comes from forced writing because you're more focused on getting to the word count versus writing what flows naturally for you. Sometimes, you can get your information and point across with fewer words or it may take lots of words to get your page goal accomplished. Just write and the rest will work itself out for your SEO and with attracting visitors. Good Luck!
    Last edited by msladybug; October 31st, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

  8. Thanks From:

  9. #6
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Msladybug is right. It's more important to inject personality & energy
    into your blog posts than to worry about word count.
    Charles Dickens was paid by the word, but you won't be
    Sometimes variety is good in terms of length.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  10. Thanks From:

  11. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2011
    Posts
    97
    OK thanks everyone. Looks like the general concensus is that I should stop worrying about it!

  12. Thanks From:

  13. #8
    ABW Ambassador daiarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2011
    Location
    Beautiful Wales
    Posts
    602
    If I was looking to buy something I would not want a "War & Peace" article but a succinct overview of the products benefits, what it can do for me and the price. If I am then satisfied the product is for me I would possibly press on to read more information but usually would buy or go elsewhere.

    Rightly, or wrongly, I believe most people adopt this approach so I pen my articles accordingly.

    Hope this helps
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

  14. Thanks From:

  15. #9
    Affiliate Manager debebians's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 24th, 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    19
    I personally think that one page is better than having it split across two pages. I've noticed that longer pages generally seem to do better, although there are certainly cases for shorter pages. Like everyone else said, quality is key, and you should make it easy for people to share the content. Bing seems to factor in social cues like that in its algorithm. I would also say that you should use h-tags (h1, h2, etc.) smartly, and that should help. Photos and videos can break up the content to make it easier on the eyes and better for folks who are more visual.


  16. #10
    ...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    6,918
    Quote Originally Posted by debebians View Post
    I personally think that one page is better than having it split across two pages. I've noticed that longer pages generally seem to do better, although there are certainly cases for shorter pages.
    Good observation. By having the article on one page you give more weight to that page and prevent your SEO efforts from becoming diluted when you split up your content...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

  17. Thanks From:

  18. #11
    ABW Ambassador superCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,268
    394 words per page
    no more no less
    include h1 and h3 text
    exclude h2, h4 and beyond
    only count words with more than 3 letters
    subtract 1 from word count for every use of the word "and"
    add 2 to the word count for every use of the word "ebullient"
    exclude abbreviations, slang and made-up words
    include repeating words if needed to reach 394 -like "this ink pen am very very very very good"

    that's the strategy that has gotten superCool where he is today!

    ps.. traffic down 40% today


  19. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2011
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    394 words per page
    no more no less
    include h1 and h3 text
    exclude h2, h4 and beyond
    only count words with more than 3 letters
    subtract 1 from word count for every use of the word "and"
    add 2 to the word count for every use of the word "ebullient"
    exclude abbreviations, slang and made-up words
    include repeating words if needed to reach 394 -like "this ink pen am very very very very good"

    that's the strategy that has gotten superCool where he is today!

    ps.. traffic down 40% today
    Looks like you've read the same book that I have

    Thanks for all the advice everyone.

  20. #13
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17
    Don't focus on quantity of words. Focus on unique content. Quality content. That is the content that will get you higher page rankings.

  21. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2012
    Posts
    4
    There's no standard rule for post length. Just ensure that your posts are long enough to include every detail that will be helpful to your readers. That is value.

    So, concentrate on the quality on your content rather than the length. Only quality content gets read, shared, and linked to.

    However, for SEO purposes, long posts win. If you search Google for any query, you'll observe that the top ranking pages for most keywords are long, detailed posts.

    So, I advise you to write great "how to" tutorial posts and case studies. They rock!

  22. Thanks From:

  23. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2012
    Posts
    3
    I don't think that the number of words matters that much...
    What really matters is does the page have the information that the searcher is looking for.
    I've found very short pages that tell me what I need, and I've also found very long pages
    Too many people focus on number of words and not on quality information!
    Now, did I make my point with this post? Or do I need to count how many words I wrote and then make sure it's at least 100 words?


  24. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Every site is different. Some pages, for example, can get away with 50 words because of a good link profile and the domain it is hosted on. For me, the important thing is to make a page relevant to a user’s search query.

  25. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2012
    Posts
    3
    For search purposes, Google recommends 250-300 words per page. That’s enough text for Google to discern what the page is about and index it properly.On each web page, try to use a minimum of 250 words for search engine purposes, and then feel free to use as many words as necessary to get your visitor to take the next step

  26. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2013
    Posts
    2
    Generally speaking, to get good SEO webpages should have a word count of about 500, at least. Now it can go up to 1700 as well. And as long as it's a good content, very intriguing then having 1700 words is not a big issue. Typically, it just really depends on what your article is really about. In some instances I would suggest that you split it into two and in other times if it was all very related then you'd keep it one. If your website has a lot of a content on it right now, anyway you could keep it to 1700 but if you're just starting out, I would suggest that you would split it into two. The other thing is, in terms of optimization, you want to have all you H-tags a few times through out. The other fact that you should look at if you're going to split it is, if you actually just put the article into two different pieces is, would you have exactly the same keywords for both or would one lean more towards a different set of keywords. Those are all things to take into account. I hope that helps.

  27. Thanks From:

  28. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    March 6th, 2011
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwells View Post
    The other fact that you should look at if you're going to split it is, if you actually just put the article into two different pieces is, would you have exactly the same keywords for both or would one lean more towards a different set of keywords. Those are all things to take into account. I hope that helps.
    Good point, I hadn't even considered that.

  29. #20
    Newbie The Blingmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2012
    Posts
    7
    The days of writing for search engines are over, if they ever started. If your writing for an audience use as many words as you need to convey your message, if it's good they'll share it and the search engines will pick it up anyway. Interesting unique content will benefit you in the long term where as 5 minutes on page one of Google won't.


  30. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2012
    Location
    Armenia
    Posts
    4
    Concentrate more on the quality of your article (s) than the quantity of words, make it appealing to readers and give them what they expect from your site.
    I'm agree with you , but for SEO optimization it is still actual words quantity of in article , so both are important , but quality of article is more important .
    I always try to write minimum 350 words per article and I think it is the optional size of content for search engines . I haven't any maximum size for my articles .

  31. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Google Top Listings(1st page) in Less than 5 Min !
    By Irmscher in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: October 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM
  2. Max number of banners on each page
    By id2k in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
  3. Max Page Size that is acceptable
    By dak142 in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 15th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •