Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Saddening stats I just looked up. Either the search engines are going crazy or I know where a large portion of my sales have gone. Also its interesting that as soon as CJ took their notice down, sales are coming in nice and steady. Made more today already than last 3 days combined.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How can you tell if a visitor had their cookies turned on?

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    The browser is queried for cookie support. Maybe set a cookie and then check for its existence. If it exists then cookie support is enabled.

document.cookie.indexOf("itc=")>=0)?"true":"false"~~~~~~~~~document.cookie="itc=t"

I have been running the 14 day free trial at http://indextools.com.

Very Informative.

[This message was edited by DPG on February 13, 2003 at 09:20 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I'm sorry, but cookies need to be enabled to view this site.
    Please check your settings, and press refresh.

If it's fine for the big boys to say this, why can't we?

ABW Ambassador
    What a sterling idea!! But we will need to let the SEs through.

ABW Ambassador
    Easy, just test for user agent..

This is an instance where cloaking is not bad. (IMO... engines may have a different view )

ABW Ambassador
    Can you make a script? I won't give you my 1st born but I would come close.

ABW Ambassador
    nope

This is all I have to offer -->

ABW Ambassador
    Somehow I don't think I can utilise the banana but thanks for the thought.

ABW Ambassador
    I think that making a safe script that denies access unless cookies are enabled is a brilliant idea. Especially if we all used it as we would be helping each other out. The next time that user visits any other affiliate site, his cookie jar is open.

ABW Ambassador
    It is obvioulsy false that 47.9% of this months traffic had cookies turned off.

I have seen very global internet stats with numbers like 1%.

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    Have a very hard time believing that number.

47% of your traffic didn't have YOUR cookie? I'd believe that..

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    anyone with internet explorer 6 or whatever will have their cookies turned off by default! most people that use this will not realise, so thats how we lose sales, it would be great, if we put that kind of script up, similar to the " your browser does not support frames" and " this site rquires flash" etc, but people would need to be shown how to enable their cookies.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi all,

I know that the figure looks extremely high. Sadly it is fact for me. Rather than pass judgement based upon conjecture, a third party article or a simple feeling you may have as to its integrity based upon a desire not to believe it is so, turn some logging software on and test it on your own site. I will not publish my exact figures but should you wish me to expand on my stats as percentages I am more than happy to do so.

As to IE 6 blocking cookies by default(including third party cookies), this is true only for sites that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement). This does not occur to any of CJs cookies when default security levels are set as they were one of if not the 1st Publisher/Advertiser Management Program to comply with MSs cookie requirements (back in 98,99?).

I have just checked and indeed certain cookies are being blocked from by data provider so will double check this figure. If you require confirmation I am happy to let someone I trust have a root around through my reports . The URL for the logging service I use is listed in an earlier post in this thread.

Cheers, DPG

ABW Ambassador
    So how does this affect cookies we may set on our own sites, such as those to control the display of a popup window etc?

Do we have to implement this compact policy? How do we do it? I've trolled around the Microsoft knowledgebase and it just made my brain bleed

ABW Ambassador
    No it shouldnt affect cookies that are set from the site the visitor has chosen to view but it does apply very strongly to third party cookies. (A cookie that is being set from a domain that is not included in the current document FQDN)

ABW Ambassador
    I have IE 6.0, and
    I've been to sites that have some sort of frames , and oddly enough, after clicking through links to another page , I have, on many occassions, recieved the message :
    " You must have cookies enabled to use this site, shopping cart, print coupons or whatever" .

Strange, because I DO have cookies enabled at all times. What causes me to get this message has me baffled, but it does happens .

I close out the other frame(s), go to the exact URL again, and I do not get the same message about the cookies .

ABW Ambassador
    Here is a sample of my current last visitor stats. As you can see msie 6 is being checked for cookies successfully.

I have edited the page to prevent direct access to my stats.

Last and current visitors

ABW Ambassador
    Quoted from MS Knowledge base:

One Cause:
    quote:
    This problem can occur because AdSubract from interMute, Inc. has been installed on your computer. This software utility blocks ads and filters cookies.

Another:
    quote:

SYMPTOMS
    When you use services from Web site "A" by using a frameset (or portal) on Web site "B", cookies that Web site A tries to set may be blocked at the default medium privacy level.

CAUSE
    In the preceding example, Web site A is in the third-party context. The medium privacy setting blocks third-party cookies that do not have a compact policy (a condensed computer-readable privacy statement) or third-party cookies that have a compact policy that specifies that personally identifiable information is used without your implicit consent.

RESOLUTION
    To work around this behavior, connect to Web site A directly, or set your privacy level to low or to accept all cookies:
    In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.
    On the Privacy tab, move the settings slider to Low or Accept All Cookies.
    Click OK.

STATUS
    This behavior is by design.

That is a very high number, I would suggest doing some more test on your visitors.

Here is what we are showing for about 200,000 recent unique visitors:

Mark Mitford
    Sales Director
    Dotster, Inc
    http://www.dotster.com/
    15% Commission - 90 day cookie - 0% reversals

ABW Ambassador
    What tests should I run? Maybe it is indeed the quality of my reporting service's coding but all other stats seem spot on.

Here is what mine looks like.

ABW Ambassador
    Very telling and proves 100% your stat is wrong.

There are no entries under unknown.

A valid cookie can only be set by sending header information. You cannot check for a cookie on the same page you set a cookie. So you would always have some unknowns. For people who only visited one page, you have no idea if they have cookies on or not.

The abesence of these numbers makes me think you either have it set wrong, or it figures wrong.

My guess, currently, you have it putting these unknowns in the disabled bucket, and you have many vistitors to your site who only visit one page, or this test is done on one page only.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    DPG, who provides your stats? Do you run your own scripts or are your stats provided by a third party, such as thecounter.com?

If the latter is true, and this is an educated guess, then when they try to detect if cookies are enabled or not, probably by trying to set a cookie, then this is seen by IE6 as a third party cookie and is trapped by the default settings as mentioned in your earlier post.

I think

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    anyone with internet explorer 6 or whatever will have their cookies turned off by default!

This isn't true is it? My IE6 is NOT set this way by default. It is set like half way and allows merchants cookies through.

I cannot believe that almost 1 in 2 people have cookies disabled. Alot of surfers don't even know how to change their Homepage, let alone all the advanced IE settings.

It's pretty rare that I see "referer blocked by AdSubtract" in my logs.

Even if cookies are disabled, wouldn't you still be credited with a sale made the very first visit based on the URL that contained your affiliate code, or not?

ABW Ambassador
    stats provided by indextools.com. I will try another provider and check out the outcome. Stats are based on results from about 1200 pages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast