Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    How NOT to Respond to a Declined Application
    Here's an email I received from an affiliate who's application my team declined:

"It's your company loss. I'm a professional advertiser, that's investing into a Advertising Franchise/as a additional to my Website. You turn down my offer to advertise your company for free? Your missing out!"

If you apply for an affiliate program and you get declined, there are a few things you should do.

1. Check your network profile and make sure it was complete, make sure that all sites listed in the profile that relate to that program are live and contain some live content. Make sure that the marketing methods you use are disclosed properly.
    2. Check the merchant terms and make sure they don't prohibit marketing methods that you highlighted in your profile/application.
    3. Take a moment to write a friendly email to the affiliate manager that goes something like this:

___

Hi (Affiliate Manager), my name is (your name) and I recently applied to your affiliate program and was declined. I am really excited to work with your program and I think I can do a great job for you. Here's what I have in mind for promoting your site: (list how you'll promote the site)

Could you please reconsider your decision? If you still don't think we're a good fit, could you please let me know what the issues are so that I can take action to correct them?

Thanks for your time,

Your Name
    Your Contact info

___

Taking this approach will get you way better results. I will say that most of the time when I get an email like this from an affiliate, I'll find a way to work with them unless my company just doesn't allow their marketing methods. The guy that wrote the first email will never be approved.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

I laugh out loud when I get those messages from affiliates. If they don't take the time to understand who we are, they can play elsewhere.

When you join a program, have a plan. It's that easy.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

Very rarely is a decline decision personal, ( I won't say never, because there are people and companies that I have history with and am unlikely to work with from the get go) usually, it's an issue with the website that was submitted, or a conflict between the marketing techniques that were listed on the affiliate profile and what my company allows.

5. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    #4 - Check your spelling and grammar before sending...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

haha... definitely. Writing a coherent response is a pretty good idea.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Looks like you now have a 1:1 relationship with an affiliate you previously didn't know. If they can't understand the situation once explained then it is what it is.

Think your email example to write to the affiliate manager is a great one One lil question tho, how important is this part of your email "and I think I can do a great job for you. "

I'm still waiting for the Wizard of Oz to grant me a big dose of self confidence so even if I knew I'd be the best person in the entire world for something saying I'd do a great job at whatever it was just wouldn't be in my vocabulary. But....forget about me and maybe think of a newbie. Would just saying that they'd really like the opportunity to work with that program and tell them how they would do so be ok to say without saying they'd do a great job for you?

If I get declined from a program I really wanted to work with I will write back an email similar to your email as well. Is being honest with an affiliate manager telling them you're a small affiliate a mistake? I do since I want to know what expectations are. If I'm gonna get removed later cos I didn't meet their expectation of how many sales I should get, that's the kind of program I don't want to spend my time on and would rather work with an affiliate manager who knows I may not get sales for a while or maybe even never but would still be trying to do so and wouldn't be doing any of the bad stuff in regards to terms.

Sorry, got a teeny bit away from your original subject so everybody go back to it please

Thanks for the great tips, Wade.
    Your tips would be very useful in turning around a decline.
    What about a similar situation: a drop?
    I think that your email example and psychology behind it could also
    help an affiliate who was dropped from a program.

Sometimes there's a "cold spell" where the affiliate isn't making
    the "pre-sell" or isn't driving enough traffic that converts.

Sometimes there comes a point where what once was working for an affiliate
    is no longer working and the affiliate is trying new methods/researching new methods.
    If an affiliate always had a foolproof plan that worked that affiliate wouldn't have trouble
    being accepted into a program nor would that affiliate be dropped for lack of sales.

How should an affiliate respond to an Affiliate Manager who complains of
    inactivity and wants to drop the affiliate for lack of sales?
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 9th, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    If I get declined from a program I really wanted to work with I will write back an email similar to your email as well. Is being honest with an affiliate manager telling them you're a small affiliate a mistake? I do since I want to know what expectations are. If I'm gonna get removed later cos I didn't meet their expectation of how many sales I should get, that's the kind of program I don't want to spend my time on and would rather work with an affiliate manager who knows I may not get sales for a while or maybe even never but would still be trying to do so and wouldn't be doing any of the bad stuff in regards to terms.
    This is definitely a related question to the original decline discussion; it is
    also related to the dropped for inactivity question

How much of a burden is an affiliate who abides by all the rules, has a domain and a website, but for whatever reason[s] is not generating the quota of sales the merchant would prefer to see?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    #4 - Check your spelling and grammar before sending...
    But.....

#5 - Check out their competition before sending...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    This is definitely a related question to the original decline discussion; it is
    also related to the dropped for inactivity question

How much of a burden is an affiliate who abides by all the rules, has a domain and a website, but for whatever reason[s] is not generating the quota of sales the merchant would prefer to see?
    You can blame G. for that!

But you can also send this explanation video, to your boss!

Thank You!

14. Thanks From:

Ahhh so G. might be the reason.

Great video Mr. Sal
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I don't discriminate against small affiliates at all - I think that every program should be as happy to have 200 affiliates who make 1-5 sales per month as 1 who makes 1000. They all work in together. So if you reply letting me know that you're interested, your passionate, and that you'll do your best working with me, I'll probably give you a shot. I just want to see that you have given some consideration to how you'll work with me and aren't blindly applying to every program that you came across.

Sal - I don't agree with you. "Contact the competition first" that implies that there's always something wrong with the manager's decision. There are a few things that I wish more affiliates would consider when they think of the Affiliate Managers role in the equation.

First, we're tasked with protecting our companies brands. This means that if we make a bad call on an approval and make our company or client look bad, we get in trouble up to and including losing our jobs.

Second, we're acting on the information that the affiliate provides... and many affiliates just don't make their own case very well. They provide network profiles and applications with spotty information, domains that aren't live, broken sites, and sites that just look awful. Back to the branding issue, if an affiliate just isn't ready and approving them would reflect badly on the brand, is that my fault?

Third - I don't have the time to teach someone everything they need to know. I can teach them to succeed in my program once they have the basic skills. In my decline email, I actually link to ABW, Affiliate ABC's, Extra Money Answer, James Martell's training product and AffPlan because I want newbies to develop their skills so I can work with them.

Affiliates should look at the merchants who manually review their programs as a positive, even if you get declined once in a while. The ones that approve everyone (bad guys included) are the ones you should worry about and hate on.

If you do get declined, and come back the way I suggest - I don't know many affiliate managers who will stone wall you. Right Gorilla?

17. Thanks From:

Right. Here are two real examples that happened in the last week.

1. Hi, on one of my sites, I have a special page where I sell gift packages. I think someone interested in the packages I offer would also be interested in your products. Here is the page....Please consider my application again.

My response. Great. Thank you for showing me that. I didn't see that in your profile. I am approving you right now. Let's Talk.

2. Could you please tell me why you have declined my application for affiliation, where hundreds of others are approving me.

My response, hundreds of other programs are not managed like this one. Can you give me specifics on how you plan to promote this merchant?

His final response: Every one have its own perception and I dont mind if you dont choose my channel. Sky is the limit and I have many to work with.

He never gave me a reason to approve him.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

How not to respond to a response from an affiliate ....

(hint ... this is no response at all)

Agreed superCool

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Sal - I don't agree with you. "Contact the competition first" that implies that there's always something wrong with the manager's decision. There are a few things that I wish more affiliates would consider when they think of the Affiliate Managers role in the equation.
    That was meant as a joke when I made that post.

The only time that I would "Contact the competition first" would be if while I am making money with that program I get dropped for slow sales, or get screwed out of my commissions, otherwise I see no reason to get mad.

Had to share....This is a good one.

Him - The parent site is one of 400 sites. Please revisit your decision.

Me - I can revisit my decision when you submit a plan to promote this specific merchant.

Him - I currently represent 7 other companies like yours. Our strategic plan affords us thousands of unique visitors daily. The details of how we do it are confidential.

Me -Good Luck.
    Greg Hoffman

23. Thanks From:

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread