ABW Ambassador
    Ideas to Retrieve Outstanding Commissions from independent Merchant?
    I have been promoting a large sports industry merchant with just under 100 employees for a couple of years. Last year the affiliate manager wrote to me to say he was about to send a payment by mail. I asked him if he could send it by Paypal as I'm not able to pick up and deposit checks as I travel around the world. He said he would look into it. I never heard back from his and sent him a reminder email. I also traveled back to my home for a month after that and found no checks from them in the mail.

So about a year later now I had almost forgot about this until I logged in and checked my reports and see that I'm still making sales regularly and I had accumulated now a nice amount of commissions.

I printed these pages as proof in case needed. I wrote to them again using several emails accounts I have listed with them. Again I got no response. So a few weeks later I use their website contact form and write again. Now about 10 days later I still have no response from them.

I tried calling them but where I"m travelling right now the phone lines are not good and I could not get through.

I would be interested in hearing other ideas on how to get their attention?

I don't want to name the merchants since I'm at the top of search engines for them but would prefer just to get the commissions they owe to date.

I was thinking about contacting all of their main employees listed on their "about us" page
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Where are they located?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Where are they located?
    In the USA but I'm not exactly sure of the city or even state as they have no contact info on their website but just a contact form.

They do have a reasonably good website and I just noticed links to facebook and twitter pages and I;m about to check them out, it could be a way to get their attention....
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I always recommend an affiliate send a fax if they are getting ignored. You can title it to the Affiliate Manger but are better if you send to Marketing Director or VP of Marketing. A fax will get immediate attention as it will be one machine that the whole department shares. It will get seen. Be polite but mention your frustration with the lack of response.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I think that it is pretty clear that they know that they owe the money and are either thieves who have no intention of paying or are underfinanced and do not have the money to pay. You can try contacting other people at the company, and if they do have the financial ability to pay their obligations, maybe that would shake something up, but I think after all this time, it's time to take stronger action.

You have some options with them being in the US even if you are not.

First, though, I'd find a replacement merchant, both because you're already been screwed around by them not paying you for so long, and also because once you do anything, they'll likely remove you from their program.

That said, next you need to find out exactly where they are, then proceed.

You could try hiring a lawyer just to send a demand letter before taking any other action, and depending on how much they owe you, that could be a good first step.

As you are not in the US to sue them personally, if you know someone close to where they company is located that you trust and is willing to help you out (likely for a fee or percentage of what is recovered), you could assign the obligation for them to sue for payment. Otherwise, my suggestion would be to find a reputable collection agency in the area where the merchant is located, and let them take it from there. 67% of something is more than 100% of nothing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    hey thanks for the great tips and this thread should be a help to others too if they have a similar experience like me and I have found this common with Indy's but eventually after getting on their back they get back to you and sort it out, Others might get back to you and then you find their lack of interest is running an affiliate program and it closes shortly after. I personally think what happens is that in mid to large companies they just can't be bothered as they have more important things to attend to and besides paying affiliate is not on their work sheet so they just ignore it or put it on a list of to do's after they do all their important things.

I'm glad to say after pestering them more with using facebook and twitter the original guy that was meant to be the affiliate manager has responded so we will see where it goes from here, I will update later.....

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Try approaching the local BBB as that complaint usually goes to their legal department, and somehow it will appear on their marketing manager's table.

9. Thanks From:

I tried to contact the BBB for a company that didn't pay me before. They said they couldn't help be because I was not a customer of the company.

11. Thanks From:

Do you have a number you could reach them at? I find that eventually they will pick up the phone whereas an email may get caught in the spam folder or misplaced etc etc... Faxing them may also work

So did you get paid. I like the input in this thread, good advice about finding a replacement in case things go south when trying to recover the funds, and I also wouldn't have thought of sending a fax. (oldie but a goodie)
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread