GAN conversion dropping in the last year...
    Anyone else see their conversion rate dropping for many merchants on GAN.

For example one of my merchant was converting around 10% since 2010 then in 2011 started to drop to finally between 1% and 3% for the last 4 months.

I decided to start investigating this because I'm noticing a lot of my GAN merchants have followed the same pattern.

PS: This is the conversion rate from the GAN tracked clicks (not the conversion rate from the traffic on my site). Making the final conversion rates even worth.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Not really.

Think you see more competition in play as well as different search habits by users, ie: everyone EXPECTS a coupon, shoppers using price comparison services, etc...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

My GAN conversion is almost non-existent now...

2 years ago, it was my top network:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/googl...wn-136133.html

Prettymuch the same here, conversion rates have been horrible for a long time now. Moved most of my merchants off where I can.
    Merchants, build your own coupon landing pages with [URL="http://couponzor.com/"]Couponzor[/URL] - Example Landing Page: [URL="http://istockphoto.couponzor.com/"]iStockPhoto Coupons[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Not really.

Think you see more competition in play as well as different search habits by users, ie: everyone EXPECTS a coupon, shoppers using price comparison services, etc...
    Increased competition is something that statistically should spread across networks. It does not seem to be the case. GAN has a particularly strong decrease in results that does not appear this systematic on other networks.

Might be a range of issue:
    - GAN opened up to more toolbar affiliates and something like that
    - GAN do not check if some affiliates do cookie stuffing?
    - Systematic Viglink type technology going massive could have that effect
    - Problem with their tracking
    - Problem with the tracking due to the old link type versus new link type
    - Corruption
    - Coincidence

Here is one example of this phenomenon.

Keep in mind that this is the GAN conversion rate. The real conversion (conversion from my site) is 10x less or more. So we are talking numbers where profits are nearly impossible...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by delsol; November 14th, 2012 at 05:43 AM.

superCool has noticed the same thing and is in the process of removing GAN merchants. The "G" in GAN says it all. F G

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Systematic Viglink type technology going massive could have that effect
    Always expected GAN to come up with the ultimate skimlinks/viglinks system linking AdSense publishers to the affiliate side. Never have seen that and seems to be a huge lost opportunity. There has been tons of conversations about turning bloggers into affiliates so it seemed a natural, never happened.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Keep in mind that their issue with tracking properly in Safari browsers can play into this as well. I don't think it's your full drop off, but it can definitely play into the decrease.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Keep in mind that their issue with tracking properly in Safari browsers can play into this as well. I don't think it's your full drop off, but it can definitely play into the decrease.
    In theory, the tracking issue with Safari browsers prevents even a click from showing up. Therefore, there can be no "click vs sales = conversion rate"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks guys there is obviously something going on a with GAN. We will switch some merchants to other networks see if conversion improves.

Although that test would only be true if being on GAN for merchant is not the source of the "leak". For example, if being on GAN means permitted cookie stuffer or "massive toolbar stuffing" even switching to CJ would not help.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread