More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Going Mobile Questions
    As I sat with some friends, each with their mobile phones. One remarked how his laptop broke, and he is not getting another since he simply uses his mobile phone. I am sort of stubborn, but that finally got through to me. Time to make my sites mobile friendly ASAP! So, for sure, I am changing all set widths of images, blocks, tables, etc to percentages on my main sites. That is for sure, since it makes good sense. This will help a lot. But after that, I am considering making separate mobile versions. Do I simply make a more mobile-friendly version under the m.mydomain.com subdomain? The concerns of course are
    1. duplicate content penalties?
    2. how do the bots know this is mobile and will they index it as such? Does the "m" subdomain achieve this?

Thanks for any help on this. And I have tried to find info on this, but am not finding clear consistent answers.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

And here is Number 3.
    3. Or do I specify robots code in the head section to designate it as my mobile version.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Have you looked at your site(s) in different mobile browsers to see if anything needs to be change?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Have you looked at your site(s) in different mobile browsers to see if anything needs to be change?
    I don't have a mobile browser but have looked at a few sites a while back on a friends. I know that I need to change pixel widths to percentages. Beyond that, I am not sure if changes have to be made on all sites.

There are a few "mobile phone emulators" online. Take a look - you may be able to tweak your sites enough to where you don't need a separate mobile setup. Most mobile phones / mobile browsers now render websites perfectly...

Thanks for the comments! I will check the emulators. My question is "Could having a an additional mobile version help my traffic?" Frankly, it seems it would open a big can of worms by having another version - which site is the "real" site to link to?, etc. . . .

UPDATE: I found this guide at http://static.googleusercontent.com/...rter-guide.pdf that has a section on mobile sites. This may be helpful.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; November 15th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    My question is "Could having a an additional mobile version help my traffic?" Frankly, it seems it would open a big can of worms by having another version - which site is the "real" site to link to?, etc.
    Can't answer that, sorry - only serve up one flavor that happens to work on both mobile and non-mobile...

Cheesehead, have a look see at what the magic Google guru says about mobile seo: Does indexing a mobile website create a duplicate content issues? - YouTube

ABW Ambassador
    I have made most of my sites mobile optimized. I use a php script to switch to a css which has been optimized for mobile. I two .css, style.css and mobile.css. Depending on which user agent the request is coming from, I switch the css. So the site url doesn't change(no m.mysite.com subdomain), no dup content. Just the look of the site changes on mobile devices.

That said, my mobile traffic is pretty minuscule. But wanted to be ready when it picks up.

Also not all vendor sites are mobile. So even if my affiliate site is mobile, and I get a click and send the visitor to vendor's desktop site, it doesn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park View Post
    I have made most of my sites mobile optimized. I use a php script to switch to a css which has been optimized for mobile. I two .css, style.css and mobile.css. Depending on which user agent the request is coming from, I switch the css. So the site url doesn't change(no m.mysite.com subdomain), no dup content. Just the look of the site changes on mobile devices.

That said, my mobile traffic is pretty minuscule. But wanted to be ready when it picks up.

Also not all vendor sites are mobile. So even if my affiliate site is mobile, and I get a click and send the visitor to vendor's desktop site, it doesn't help much.
    Sounds like the best advice. To create a separate site is quite involved that meets all requirements to get indexed, I am finding out. Or, I can pay to have this done ($9+ per site per month!). My guess is that phones and devices will be made to better view all sites, even those not optimized.

Or instead of coding for different multiple sites, you can go
    for one responsive:
    "The idea of separate sites for desktop, mobile, tablet, it was always a compromise really, it never quite fitted in with the overall philosophy of the web and this idea of one web and universality and whatever device you load a webpage on showing you some content."
    Responsive design: Opportunities and challenges for news sites | Media news | Journalism.co.uk
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread