Domain Registration and Hosting
    Sorry all for what might be a very simple question!

So my domain hosting is with Hostpapa and I bought my first two domains through them (I since realise this might not have been my best move!).

I've check with ICANN and I don't believe that Hostpapa is an Official Registrar. So am I right in thinking I should buy any further domanins from a company on the list of Official Registrars? (Such as GoDaddy or DomainMonster. ) I'm thinking of using Studiopress for a wordpress type site. I've done a bit of research and found some lovely niche domain names that have been registered for 4-5 years and are about to drop

Presumably I can then host either on Hostpapa or with another company such as Hostgator? Also if I do, I might as well get my hosting through one of you guys (keep it in the family) ;-)

Sounds like they are just a reseller - in some cases, it's perfectly fine, but you may need them to make any future changes, etc.

A few years ago, I registered a .co.uk through a reseller, and had a heck of a time trying to change the DNS as they didn't give me the primary access I needed. It cost to "transfer" the domain to my account with another provider, but for me it was worth the $15.

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager BretLiquidweb's Avatar
    There is nothing wrong with buying from a reseller. There are many times they actually can get deals from the registrar because of the volume they sell. You can always ask them to "unlock" your domain and you can transfer it anywhere you like. The domain should be registered under your name.

I've moved my domain around a few times just because of the price points from other companies.
    Bret Hitchcock | Liquid Web Affiliate Manager
    800-580-4985 ext 2196
    Join Liquid Web's Affiliate Program!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BretLiquidweb View Post
    There is nothing wrong with buying from a reseller.
    +1

What you don't want to do is buy your domain WITH your hosting. That often leads to your hosting company having control over your domain. Always keep them separate. Always keep control of your domain name...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager BretLiquidweb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    +1

What you don't want to do is buy your domain WITH your hosting. That often leads to your hosting company having control over your domain. Always keep them separate. Always keep control of your domain name...
    I would agree with that concept 100%. I've dealt with a lot of people that buy domains from hosting firms that are shady(not naming names). They hold the domain hostage. There are many hosting firms that are legit and actually unlock the domains when the person cancels or simply wants to move said domain to another provider. Your logic stands because it's better safe then sorry, the hosting world is a dangerous place. It's hard to tell the good from the bad sometimes.
    Bret Hitchcock | Liquid Web Affiliate Manager
    800-580-4985 ext 2196
    Join Liquid Web's Affiliate Program!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Yes it is - majority of our customers come from the bad folks...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    +1

oh... thank you thank you for this...

so i bought my domain from godaddy and i was thinking, of having it as my host too... that's not advisable then? i should go and look for another host?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes that's what Convergence said and has been stated on this forum many, many times.

10. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread