ABW Ambassador
    I know some of you folks are active with CJ data feed. How are they doing compared to the initial release? I am working with 2 CJ merchants which give the feed also from outside of CJ's interface. So far that seems to be pretty decent. I would be interested to work with those types of merchants who seriously work and support the data feed, not with the once-in-a-while database dump types. Any feedback will be appreaciated.

[This message was edited by KCEdit on February 17, 2003 at 02:22 PM.]

KC,

I think that's a wise approach.
    I get the feed from cj w/ 5 merchants. Out of the five, one is fairly clean and fresh. The other end of the spectrum, one merchant has roughly 60% out-of-stock items listed.
    Most products in the entire feed were added first week of December-02 with a smattering of new product adds since. Still have to do a bit of massaging to get the db to do what I need.
    Overall I think you'd be much better off with direct from merchant feed as it stands now, but hopefully things will get improve with time.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Fairly quickie answer--

It's the same old feed--as in, the problems people were complaining about are still there. And it's still huge. What has improved is my skill in dealing with it! With the feed, the w*rk part is effectively deleted--Once you figure out how to make the thing do what you want. Figuring it out, though, is in itself a form of w*rk. But not nearly as much as hand-coding! And the j*b of hand-coding keeps coming back.

Details (and gripes)--

The actual quality varies tremendously by merchant. Some know how to upload their data, some are pretty good at it, and some just put "whatever, whereever"! Fortunately, most merchants do a good enough job to end up with useable data in their section. But on the other hand, there is Catalog City who, for some reason, put an exclamation point between every letter of certain of their fields! (L!i!k!e!T!h!i!s!)

You may have some difficulty if you use their category designations because some merchants don't bother to put any!

Some merchants update their feeds a lot, and some only bother every 6 months if that. Which is fine for merchants who don't change anything on their sites more often than that!! A lot of the ones who update more often are wasting their time and mine because they'll show up as having done an update when they changed something like one item, by 20c. Give me a break, I am NOT updating a site or section over one itty bitty change!! (For this reason, I don't list prices except for one merchant who I know isn't going to be yanking my chain with "nonupdate"-updates.) At most merchants, things really don't change all that often (a lot less often than I ever would have guessed! But I looked at their sites and confirmed it.) and it's easier to just leave off things like prices which are more likely to go out-of-date, for these rarely updated ones. And if they're selling the same thing they were last year, there's no need for them to restate the fact weekly!

On the other hand, there are a few merchants who have REAL changes more regularly. After a few weeks it becomes apparent who those are, and then it's fairly easy to just pull those merchants' data out of the Big Feed and run that.

The little idiosynchrasies of each merchant's part of the feed will become apparent, too. If you remember the differences between them it's not too hard to tweak the data to match whatever program you're running. If you forget, some Errors will remind you...

One thing to look out for, also, is the fact that deactivated merchants are still in the feed! I can see keeping the information for a while, but there is a point at which the "temporary" deactivation should officially be changed to "permanent/long-term"--and their data dumped. After a merchant has been out of the network for 2 or 3 months, it wouldn't be unreasonable for CJ to make them re-upload their data, IF the merchant actually came back online. CJ could probably reclaim a lot of disk space by whacking these "temporarily" deactivated places' products, that have been dead to the network for 6 months-1 year...

Despite my gripes, though, the CJ Feed sure beats hand-coding by 10 miles! And most merchants do know how to upload things well enough. Although the couple that don't can cause frustration...

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Has cj started sending the feed again? I haven't gotten an update all of February.

Mine tend to come at random hours, but one will appear for me at some point every day. Maybe you should contact them!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

I contacted CJ and they said all datafeeds had been cut off for now. Leader are saying they lied to me? It's odd that they would since I didn't let them know who I was. Unless they cut some people off and not others.

Guys,

If any of you want the EssentialApparel.com datafeed apart from CJ, simply join my program and I'll give you access to my forum here at ABW and you can download the feed from our FTP server. Just shoot me an e-mail with your CJ PID and ABW username.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Leader for such a insightful posting. I know what you mean about the hand coding. I am loading a 2000-items feed in less than 5 minutes including all the tweakings. I never would have ventured into this with hand coding.

I swear abestweb is a magical place. My datafeed suddenly appeared now.

Heyder--I would have responded sooner but the outdoor faucet decided to start pouring out water full blast!!! So I had to fix that, which required getting a new part from the store.

I just checked, and my feed for the day is there too. I don't know why you got cut off before--mine has been coming right along. I can't say that they "lied", because like you said, they might have cut off some but not others.

Yeah after posting that I was just kind of peeved after just getting off the phone with them.

ABW Ambassador
    Would I be right in assuming that Leader is getting a daily feed as he has chosen Client FTP push and Heyder is getting a weekly feed as he is using the http:// link which is mailed out about once or twice a week?

DPG I do get the http link but it is daily not weekly. I don't know about leaders choice.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread