Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Great Sale Price
    I've never used 1 & 1 but I know some people here are happy with them.

They are having a super duper sale right now, selling 1-yr .com registrations for 99¢. Limit is one reg per order but you can do up to 5 orders.

No idea when this expires (could be today).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I don't know anything about 1&1's current deal; I know they often have some type of deal. I've used them as a registrar and have been happy with their service.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    They're the spammer's registrar of choice. Forever selling .info domains for .99 cents - now they're giving their customer base a choice with .com -

Great...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

That's your opinion Convergence & you are entitled to your opinion

I entered affiliate marketing with an ISP hosting deal that came part of my ISP deal. I found out about my future ISP through a trade-show free for the public at the Jacob Javitz Center in 1995. Back in the day the trade show was aimed at getting people on the Internet. There was a lot of pressure to sign for AOL. I talked to reps from ISPs with questions I formed based on an article from Computer Shopper (it was a huge magazine mostly ads & I believe it is now defunct) -- computers & the Internet were confusing for me at the time and terms can still confuse.

I am still nostalgic for my original ISP site because it was based on 2 silly childhood fantasies of mine fleshed out to life on the Internet.
    Content came first & then I monetized it.
    Some affiliate merchants will still allow an affiliate to put links on "ISP space" but some don't. There was a time when having one's own domain & hosting was prohibitively expensive. An answer to this was -- I think it was called a UCC domain or something like that: the problem was finding hosting. I went through a couple of "free hosting site deals" where I could use that free junky domain, it was like having my own domain. I was a moderator on one "free hosting site" but it wasn't worth it (I felt like a babysitter for teenagers). I didn't know who to use for a registrar until I came across a newspaper article online that said 1&1 was a premier registrar. That article convinced me to sign up for one of their packages, I think it is the Business one in the middle of their offerings.

It started out as $10 a month back in 2005. I think now it's up to $14.
    Some affiliates proclaim the necessity of separating the domain from the hosting. I like my combo deal and nothing Convergence can say will make me dislike my combo deal
    It's been worth it to me. I have 3 ".com" domains that they take care of & I don't have to worry if the domain cost will get jacked up.
    1&1's uptime is good, I rarely experience a down site.

If you label all 1&1 clients as spammers, I guess that makes me one
    1&1 has been my registrar and paid host since 2005 and still is

I'm so satisfied with my ISP & my registrar/host that I gave up television
    when analog television was switched to digital.
    Last edited by Rhia7; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I talked to reps from ISPs with questions I formed based on an article from Computer Shopper (it was a huge magazine mostly ads & I believe it is now defunct) -- computers & the Internet were confusing for me at the time and terms can still confuse.
    Through the '90's I bought computers, printers and software for installation at customer sites. When the Computer Shopper would come in the mail I would spend a Sat. morning reading all of it to learn about products. The other I read was Byte magazine.

Sorry for derailing, we could spin this off if others are interested. Just wanted to let Rhia7 know that I shared her early education process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    That's your opinion Convergence & you are entitled to your opinion
    As are you...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    If you label all 1&1 clients as spammers, I guess that makes me one
    Never said all 1&1 clients are spammers - did, I? Nope.

When GoDaddy was selling .info domains for .99 cents, that's where the spammers flocked - just happens to be 1&1 right now...

Some people choose to stay away from GoDaddy because Bob likes to kill elephants for sport and then pass out baseball caps for the photo op (Though Bob no longer owns GoDaddy) - some people choose not to support registrars because they support the very spammers that are problematic in our industry.

To each their own...

8. Thanks From:

Danica makes up for the elephant. haha

I saved one of the big computer shoppers, for old times sake. probably late 90s.

Chuck, you need this 1986 model! Computer Shopper August 1986 Hero 2000 Issue | eBay
    The internet is a fad.

10. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's a good one for the other magazine: 1984 Byte Magazine Apple Macintosh Debut Steve Jobs Team Interview Apple Lisa | eBay

Computer Shopper
    First issue 1979
    Final issue 2009

Byte (magazine)
    First issue September 1975
    Final issue July 1998

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Through the '90's I bought computers, printers and software for installation at customer sites. When the Computer Shopper would come in the mail I would spend a Sat. morning reading all of it to learn about products. The other I read was Byte magazine.

Sorry for derailing, we could spin this off if others are interested. Just wanted to let Rhia7 know that I shared her early education process.
    I liked the interesting comment
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post

framed, that would make an awesome gift for an Apple fanatic!
    The internet is a fad.

15. Thanks From:

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread