Question about Popshops & similar sites
    Hi there,

New to affiliate marketing and I'm asking this question as a merchant/from a merchants perspective. Please forgive my naivete.

How does Popshops work? I signup for ShareASale, provide links to Popshops, and then Popshops allows affiliates to easily create web stores with those links?

How does the tracking work? If 15 affiliates sign up through Popshops, do their clicks get passed through to ShareASale as 1 group of Popshop affiliates, or do those 15 affiliates receive tracking from ShareASale?

Does the same apply for SellFire, etc?

I have a ton of affiliates using Popshops and Sellfire and other datafeed aggregators. They love them but the relationship is invisible to the merchant. All you have to do is allow them into your program, grant them ftp access and make sure your datafeed is updated. You'll never know they are there unless an affiliate complains about a datafeed issue.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

Thank you Greg. So each affiliate would be responsible for signing up for my SAS program through Popshops or Sellfire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CilantroCanada View Post
    Thank you Greg. So each affiliate would be responsible for signing up for my SAS program through Popshops or Sellfire, etc.
    They are responsible for signing up for both.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

6. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Tracking is through the network, Popshops provides your datafeed through their tools. Impressions, clicks, sales and commissions are all recorded through the network.

How does Popshops work? I signup for ShareASale, provide links to Popshops, and then Popshops allows affiliates to easily create web stores with those links?
    You're not providing links, but a database of your products to PopShops, Sellfire or Golden Can.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Oiy, I meant datafeed. These past few days, my brain cells are definitely not making the connections they should.
    Renée

10. Thanks From:

Everything I learned about datafeeds I learned from her ^
    Greg Hoffman

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Yep - all you would need to do in any of these tools (PopShops, SellFire, GoldenCan) is provide your network ID when asked. From there, when you set up a store, you select the programs you want to be included, and run some keyword based queries that either auto-populate or allow you to choose the specific products that you want to use from the datafeeds of the programs you chose.

BTW - I recommend SellFire or GoldenCan or DataFeed over PopShops if you're going to promote more than a few products as all of the other tools mentioned give the ability to dynamically update your store as products come in and out of stock. In PopShops, you choose specific products and if those go out of stock, you have to manually replace/remove them, which is a pain for you. It's also a bad use experience for the shopper on your site. Just my opinion
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Look at competitors datafeeds in PopShops and make sure you are providing at least that much info if not more. Many merchants skimp on the information or detail provided. Techs should not be writing datafeed copy such as product descriptions. Also make sure you populate sale price fields and quantity on hand, those are often over looked. Deal sites like to show the variance between list price and sale price so they can show the savings. Especially Deal of the Day sites.

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    Everything I learned about datafeeds I learned from her ^
    lol!
    Renée

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    BTW - I recommend SellFire or GoldenCan or DataFeed over PopShops if you're going to promote more than a few products as all of the other tools mentioned give the ability to dynamically update your store as products come in and out of stock. In PopShops, you choose specific products and if those go out of stock, you have to manually replace/remove them, which is a pain for you.
    Ah, didn't know this about the merchant end, TY Wade.

On the PopShops user end, you can specify that out of stock products be automatically replaced by a similar product, which generally works, assuming there are similar products in your datafeed.

Make sure current prices match what's on your site. I've had customer complaints about seeing an item on my site, click, then see the price is higher at the merchant end. A BIG way to lose sales for you & your affiliates.
    Renée

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd View Post
    Ah, didn't know this about the merchant end, TY Wade.

In PopShops, you choose specific products and if those go out of stock, you have to manually replace/remove them, which is a pain for you. It's also a bad use experience for the shopper on your site.
    Never have I done that or was told I needed to or could have done that.
    Greg Hoffman

18. Thanks From:

I have used popshops as a publisher to get a solid product feed. I chose it over the other similar vendors because of the number of participating vendors and the price. You are going to have a feed available thru SAS direct too right? Smaller publishers may not want to HAVE to pay a fee to get your product feed...

Quote Originally Posted by bbrooksfineflowers View Post
    I have used popshops as a publisher to get a solid product feed. I chose it over the other similar vendors because of the number of participating vendors and the price. You are going to have a feed available thru SAS direct too right? Smaller publishers may not want to HAVE to pay a fee to get your product feed...
    Since there is no cost to the merchant to have their feed on PopShops, this is a no-brainer. They must have their feed on SAS in order for PopShops to pick it up.
    Renée

Hi everybody, thanks so much for the replies! Lots of great advice. Had a little bit of a meltdown on Amazon today, but everything is working fine now. Lesson learned: don't trust inventory software to do anything automatically... it might change all of your product prices to $.01!

I have signed up for PopShops and they're busy setting up an account for me. I sent SellFire an email today, and tomorrow I'll check out GoldenCan.

@bbrooksfineflowers
    Yes, my feed will be available through SAS. I uploaded a list of my products to SAS, but I'm still not sure how an affiliate interacts with that datafeed. Under the datafeed section SAS shows a list of my products... can an affiliate see that list, or must I inform an affiliate of the datafeed?

@chuck, AffiliateWarrior, gorilla
    Thanks for the help. I have all of my pricing information set and a majority of my descriptions are fairly detailed.

Since there is no cost to the merchant to have their feed on PopShops, this is a no-brainer.
    Yes, foolish not to take advantage of it, but as a publisher I wouldn't have paid for the service if I could have avoided it. BUT as a new publisher it was a really nice service and a simple way to get products loaded. If I can ever figure out a good way for us to have a product feed I would use it again (but we do not have cookie cutter arrangements, they are all custom made). I was trying to think of a way to do some kind of zip code product search...

They must have their feed on SAS in order for PopShops to pick it up.
    I didn't know that, thanks. This will be my first time as a merchant and not a publisher so I am not familiar with the flip side of the coin.

@bbrooksfineflowers
    Yes, my feed will be available through SAS. I uploaded a list of my products to SAS, but I'm still not sure how an affiliate interacts with that datafeed. Under the datafeed section SAS shows a list of my products... can an affiliate see that list, or must I inform an affiliate of the datafeed?
    I see you have 1152 products listed. It does not inform publishers automatically-they can only see it when they look at your merchant profile.

I would suggest you sign up as a publisher so you can log in and see what your profile looks like and you can see what other similar companies are doing to make sure your CPA and cookies are in line with the competition!

I can tell you what I believe: I believe you will bring balance to the Force. That you will face your demons and save the universe.
    Greg Hoffman

I can tell you what I believe: I believe you will bring balance to the Force. That you will face your demons and save the universe.
    Hah, I won't be saving the universe anytime soon. I'm a force attuned bounty hunter that's stuck in a sarlacc pit. I DO have plenty of time to face my demons however...

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread