Why shouldn't you use blogger?
    I've seen several posts where it is suggested that using blogger is a bad idea. One contributor said that you are effectively giving away your content.

I understand that if you post adsense on a blogger blog then you get paid less per click to pay for the free hosting (don't know how much)

What are the other downsides?

I figured that when you're just starting out and not earning much the fact that you don't have to pay hosting was a good thing. Do the minuses outweigh this plus?

Thanks for your time!

I once had 2 blogs via Blogger that were hosted on my paid hosting domain.

Blogger censored something that I wrote by deleting the files related to the post.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

3. Thanks From:

I'd not heard of that sort of thing. Did the files violate Blogger's terms and conditions in any way?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you are just starting out then the free account at blogger is a good way to practice your page creation (HTML) skills. When you are ready to market your site then you need to get traffic. Blogger is not going to get you much if any traffic. You can do the same with Squidoo and can get some traffic there. Ultimately you want to buy a domain and get a shared hosting account which run about $5/month. Then you can work on SEO techniques to help with your search engine ranking plus you control the site.

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    I'd not heard of that sort of thing. Did the files violate Blogger's terms and conditions in any way?
    I started one of the longest and most interesting threads in ABW history:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...der-98749.html

I thought I was in the clear because I was making a joke based upon
    an article published in the London Times Online

It was a strange situation and I received weird/troubling email which is one
    reason I stopped blogging for a while.

The court summary is buried now in my defunct Dell computer.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

8. Thanks From:

Be sure to back up your content locally. If your Blogger blog gets taken down don't expect to find the content you've published. It's all gone. Same with Squidoo or any offsite content site.

I agree with Chuck. If you're just looking to dip your toe in the cesspool that is affiliate marketing you could try out Blogger or Squidoo. Don't get too much time invested in those before making a jump to your own website.

10. Thanks From:

I had a blogger site full of good, hard earned content. One fine day G decided to close it down and despite many requests to discover why I was never given an answer.

Should have backed it up!!!!!!!!!!!
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks, several interesting points raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    If you are just starting out then the free account at blogger is a good way to practice your page creation (HTML) skills.
    This is what I figured. I started a blogger blog before I built my main site, just to see if I could write content. Its not related to my main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Blogger is not going to get you much if any traffic
    Could you tell me why? I mean if both sites had the same content is there an intrinsic reason why the blogger blog would get less traffic than say one built with wordpress?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    I started one of the longest and most interesting threads in ABW history:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...der-98749.html
    Will read that now, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Be sure to back up your content locally.
    Is there a way of backing up blogger posts, or is it just a matter of copying the content to notepad? (Ive got about 40 pages on my blog)

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    I had a blogger site full of good, hard earned content. One fine day G decided to close it down and despite many requests to discover why I was never given an answer.

Ouch!

More questions:

I've seen that there are plugins for wordpress to import a blogger blog - do they also import the comments?

Also, if I transfer to my own domain/hosting presumably I should take down the content from blogger. What should I do about links/redirects/google cache etc... Is there a "how to" that explains this somewhere?

Finaly, this blog has about 40 posts so far. I post to it about once a month. Is it worth while hosting it? Its starting to get some comments (some of which aren't spam) so I guess it gets some traffic tho I've never realy promoted it at all.

Thanks again for the advice , I apreciate it.

The only blogger is good for is creating a web 2.0 backlinks and indexing content.

Otherwise why would you build a quality content for someone else and be limited in your freedom of speech?

WEB 2.0 BACKLINKS!

What a great question Ritchie.

It's like.. do you want to rent your house or own it?

With the freebie blogs, you're renting the space.

When you pay for your own hosting and domain, and create a website with WP.org (which is THE way to go) then you become an owner, not a renter.

I don't care if a person is just starting out or playing around with an idea.

If it's important enough to put on "paper" then it's important enough to protect.

We are talking as low as $10 bucks a month (including the domain.) ANYONE can manage a $10 expense to protect their legacy.

darlene

16. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post

I also run the Front Range Bloggers Meetup in Denver, and I'm sad to say that this story is not an isolated example. Same thing has happened to people on Wordpress.com.

If you are going to put that much time and effort into something, own it from the start. The rent vs. own analogy is excellent. Don't spend your time optimizing and driving traffic to a site that's not truly only yours. Find a way to own your own.

True story - when I was an Account Manager for a large company, an affiliate shared his story. He had been homeless, living in a shelter, panhandling for change. He wanted more. He took a good portion of that money and bought a domain and hosting. Each day he went to the library where he could be online for one hour, and he added content to his site. He studied the results and worked relentlessly on it. Ultimately he earned enough to buy a home where he, his son, and his mother all live. He became one of our top affiliates. I was so inspired by his story, I'll never forget it. I hope it inspires you too.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

18. Thanks From:

Wow that is inspiring!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread