PPS vs PPC
    I'm not considering using PPC at this time, but had a question.

Do most affiliates prefer PPC or PPS? If an affiliate is going to spend time putting together a site and promoting a merchant, would they rather do PPC or PPS?

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,

I think most affiliates would say PPC as it is less friction for them to receive earnings. As a merchant though, I think you want to find the right balance between your performance benchmarks (internally) and making it easy for affiliates to promote. If you are just concerned about driving traffic to your merchant site (as perhaps you have advertisers who have paid to be on your site for exchange of eyeballs) then yes PPC would be a good avenue. However, if your looking for converted customers and more long-tail revenue streams, PPS is going to be more favorable.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    If you offer PPC, you'd better give a ton of thought to how you determine your payout and watch your conversions like a hawk. Don't even think of auto approving affiliate applications either as you'll get the cookie stuffing/forced click types all over that program once the first one has success.

I'd only use PPC with trusted partners with a long track record of successful sell through if at all.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

4. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I'd only use PPC with trusted partners with a long track record of successful sell through if at all.
    Yes and you need to create special terms for those partners. You first have to restrict affiliates in your default program term. You may get some trademark poachers and have the right to reverse commissions if they violate your terms. If you don't have things setup correctly then it is unfair to affiliates of they run PPC and get penalized.

PPC affiliates can get you sales quickly and choosing the right partner is very important. I have two and they have different skill sets.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,
    I've been trying to gather information on this topic. I have set up my program with SAS and I'm looking into adding the PPC option to the program. We are a small start up company and I want to generate awareness about our brand and products in addition to the sales.
    But as you guys have indicated here, a new program starting PPC isn't attractive to affiliates. How can I change this? Having a lot of PPC bidding rules?
    Also, how do I know what to pay as lead commission?

Thanks a mill for the help.
    Cheers.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    If you add the PPC to the program because you are not doing it yourself then why bootstrap the affiliates with a bunch of rules?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread