Duplicate Content
    Hi Everyone,

New to the boards but they see great from what I have read.

I was hoping I could get some help.

I have about 15 years experience in a particular field and feel ready to start monetizing writings that I have been doing.

I'd like to focus on local with a business directory and blog combination.

What I'd like to try is local and hyper-local because the area I live in (NYC) has some focus areas that I feel would respond well.

There would obviously be new content for areas like New Jersey, Southern Connecticut, but some articles would be repeat content.

Let's say, for example, the target niche was doctors. I would have a site for Queens Doctors, Brooklyn Doctors, New Jersey Doctors, etc. and then each blog would have a business directory attached.... just an example. Then there would be sites for individual towns such as Astoria Doctors, Flushing Doctors, etc.

My writings now would be duplicated on each of those sites and valuable to each local blog/directory.

Is there a way to use duplicate content and change page titles, etc. and not be punished?

Or should I create 1 large site like New York Area Doctors, with sections for each area like Queens, New Jersey, etc. and then more sections below those for each individual town?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to contributing also!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    There is no known penalty from the Google for duplicate content contained within your own website. If the content is duplicated/similar, it simply will not show the duplicate/similar content.

Duplicate/Similar content on multiple domains is NEVER a good idea...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

So what if my content was syndicated content on multiple domains?

Can't someone copy my article and post on their website without being penalized?

That is basically what I'm doing but with all new page titles. the only thing similar will actually be the "body" of the writing.

My rule of thumb has been to avoid duplicate content at all costs.. I'm not sure if my experience is representative of the average publisher (coding errors spawned infinite URLs on my own site), but recovering from an unofficial duplicate content penalty is very tough.

Convergence, I thought Panda was duplicate content on other sites, as well as your own? That has been my assumption.

I've recently seen a small scientific consulting site recently regain some rankings after removing a duplicate paragraph from all 10 pages.

remysays, could you inject some kind of unique variable in each 'body'..?

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Convergence, I thought Panda was duplicate content on other sites, as well as your own? That has been my assumption.
    Matt Cutts SESSF 2012:

Duplicate Content

Cutts said Google has been consistent. They try to show the content they think came first or has the most value. If you have 2,000 items from an affiliate feed then your site isn't all that great in Google's eyes.

You don't need to worry about duplicate content on your own site unless it's on massive scale. If you repeat 2-3 paragraphs on every page. Google may not penalize but it may not count in terms of value added.

Make few pages with original content. If it's a sentence/paragraph it's fine. Otherwise, Google doesn't want to highly rank the same content with one different link, as that's close to doorway pages.
    Found that on Bing...

Oh, I found this humorous:

If you have 2,000 items from an affiliate feed then your site isn't all that great in Google's eyes.
    2,000? That's a teeny datafeed site, lol...

So are PR releases penalized then? This is nearly always duplicate content on multiple domains.

Normally Google knows where the content was first published and credits/indexes that site with the content first. This way when the content is added again later on via a PR or something else your site does not get hit with the penalty. However if you post the same content on sites where duplicate content is not expected you can be sure your going to get the Google slap at some point. Just be smart about it and unique content is always better.

10. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread