Can I Combine Datafeed Service With Blog?
    Hi,

This post may very well belong in the Newbie forum. If it gets moved, cool.

I'm building my very first affiliate site. I've chosen to sell T-shirts. I know, selling t-shirts is not the best affiliate marketing idea out there. I chose it mostly as a learning experience, because I'll easily get accepted by merchants and because I thought it might at least be kind of fun. I like t-shirts.

I'll be using Wordpress because I know how to use it.

My plan is to have a blog where I write content regarding t-shirts - "5 Great Obama T-shirts," "6 Funny St. Patrick's Day T-shirts," "5 T-shirts For The Price Of Two at Spreadshirt," etc. I plan on joining several affiliate programs and selling products from multiple merchants.

I'm planning on linking directly from my blog to the merchant product pages.

I'd like to have some sort of gallery page where the images from each of these posts are displayed also with links to merchant page.

But, I was thinking I'd also like a "Shop" page on which I use code from GoldenCan or PopShops. These links would go through the datafeed service.

I have a few questions:

Is this possible? Can I link directly to the merchant on my blog and also link through GoldenCan or Pop Shops on the "Shop" page?

Should I "No Index" the "Shop" page because it's essentially duplicate content? There's no way I can see that I could go in and change the datafeed content to make it original. Too many products. Even if I used a paid version of PopShops, I don't see how I'd achieve this.

I plan on using social media for promoting the site. Is there a good Facebook plugin I should use to sell on a Facebook Page?

Does anyone have any links to sites doing something similar where I might get an idea of what others do?

Am I out of my mind for doing this?

Thanks for you help.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Is this possible? Can I link directly to the merchant on my blog and also link through GoldenCan or Pop Shops on the "Shop" page?
    Don't see any reason why not, you can use any combination of links from multiple merchants on multiple networks. You can also use any combination of affiliate links and datafeeds you want.

Should I "No Index" the "Shop" page because it's essentially duplicate content?
    Not sure that a datafeed is considered duplicate content as affiliate links are ignored by G. Perhaps teezone or isellstuff can offer a better answer.

Ok, good. Thanks For responding.

I just finished watching the SellFire tutorial for WP plugin. That looks kind of interesting.

Do you know anything about it? How does it compare to PopShops and GoldenCan?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    All three are good tools, perhaps run through a store setup for the same programs on all three, then decide for yourself. Of all three Jason from SellFire is very responsive and has a sponsored forum here.

Oh, good to know. I liked what I saw in the SellFire tutorial. One thing I know for sure...I need good support. If he has a forum here, that is big points for Sellfire.

Thanks, I'm going to check out his forum.

For the less than the price of sellfire you can buy a CSV import plugin as another alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by ACL View Post
    For the less than the price of sellfire you can buy a CSV import plugin as another alternative.
    I was thinking I would use the free SellFire plugin. Are you saying this won't be enough for me?

Sellfire may work great for you and the pro version is only 10$ per month. I would test it out and see if it works for your model. My point is that there are other options that may not require monthly charges. If you are earning enough from your sites this may not be a concern. Personally I like sellfire better than GoldenCan or PopShops.

PS you are not out of your mind for trying this model. You can make any niche work by providing valuable content and products. Since you like Tshirts, you may want to consider designing and selling your own Tshirt designs. That would increase profit potential a lot.

For social promotion you may want to look into onlywire. They allow 300 free posts per month so you can try the service. Sort of like sellfire....

My point is that there are other options that may not require monthly charges.
    I understand, it's just I'm not very familiar with CSV files and importing datafeeds. I know I can figure it out, like everything else I've learned over the years.

I'm also concerned with time and convenience. I have other work going on and this t-shirt site is just the first of a few affiliate sites I want to get going. I figured I'd cut-my-teeth on this one.

Since you like Tshirts, you may want to consider designing and selling your own Tshirt designs. That would increase profit potential a lot.
    Yes. I've made t-shirts for both Zazzle and CafePress in the past. I also designed t-shirts for an old, needs-to-be-redesigned website of mine.

It was actually these services that got me thinking about starting my own t-shirt site. The problem is...it takes me a bit of time to design a shirt and load it onto their websites. Then I have to promote my shirts, do SEO for my store, Sell the things. I thought I might do better to build my own site, SEO my site and just sell other people's stuff. Take a commission rather than a royalty, but spend my time promoting and SEO-ing my own website rather than Zazzle's or CafePress' websites.

That's not to say I won't design a shirt or other product here or there. I will, when an idea comes to me. Then, I can use my website to promote it and if I'm correct, I'll get both a royalty and a commission if I sell through a link from my site.

Thanks for the tip on OnlyWire. I'm checking it out now.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChgoWriter View Post
    I understand, it's just I'm not very familiar with CSV files and importing datafeeds. I know I can figure it out, like everything else I've learned over the years.
    That's the beauty of both PopShops and Sellfire - once you've selected the products you want in your "store" using their interfaces, publishing consists of one strip of code you place on your site. It's so easy, even I could do it! (And I have )
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Hey JCrooks!
    Just wanted to let you know I received your PM. I'm too new to reply, but I wanted you to know I appreciate your advice and I will take the actions suggested in the PM.

Thanks

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread