Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1000's&1000's of Clicks Today
    Boy, 2012 is leaving with a massive number of clicks in my reports today and of course nobody at CJ is answering phones, just dropped holds, before noon and closed after noon - lovely! Got 30,000 hits on a specific link for 6pm.com in less than 3 hours and still going strong - could maybe crash the CJ system by Weds! Nothing to warrant the flood of traffic in my web logs and SecureLive not reporting anything either - so I can only think some sort of renegade IP just running at the link - I guess I am just wondering if anybody else that's reading this is getting the same nasty business, today - I am still just recovering from a bad hit to my epc from a similar attack a few months ago. CJ never did remove the offending clicks and almost 100,000 unwarranted clickthru's tends to impact the stats.

Sorry, I am a little grumpy, but I do wish you all a Happy New Year - and am happy to be here, all things considered - you know not having dropped into oblivion 12 - 12 -12!!

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Block the IP or IPs...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

and that might work if there was one to block - according to my server logs there is no traffic of this magnitude today and the SecureLive service I also subscribe to to is registering no traffic of this magnitude - it is like something has got hold of the link and is just hammering it, off site - the pages themselves are showing a scattering of hits in the logs by yahoo, bing, googlebot and only 10 page hits from various search ip's. I have fired off an email to Ned, at least making them aware should any red flags come up - he has forwarded info on to his contact at CJ.
    I just was fishing to find out if anybody else had issues of the same, today.

5. Thanks From:

Did you try running searchs for the Click thru Link in question on all the different search engines?

Also try searching a couple of lines from the content page that may have the Click thru link on it.

Maybe you can find what scrapper ninja'ed the content + link thats generating these click thru's!
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks for the tip, Georgie - I have run a few lines of the content on Bing, Yahoo and Google - the content lines are coming up unique to my site. The link ID is from the 6pm datafeed so probably not going bear any insight as there will be many affiliates using that same link ID. But very good tips!

Good luck.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

10. Thanks From:

65,000 and still going

Is it your own redirect..?

Could the link be invalid, and creating an endless loop..? Can you identify the specific link..?

no - but there are approx 90,000 products in the data feed I used and hopefully if this thing is following through on each link used, it will stop at the 90,000, if not I could be at 1/2 million by the time CJ gets back to work - there is no indication of this massive traffic in my web logs so has to be some sort of spider following each link on each webpage crawled. There are less than 2000 files in the website.

Are product links set to "rel=nofollow"..?

Also, does your datafeed app use its own php file..? eg. "domain.com/link.php?id=100"

If so, I would (temporarily) rename "link.php" to see if that shuts down the crawling..

Just my two-cents worth in case you're looking for suggestions without (majorly) impacting the site.

no datafeed doesn't have its own php file and no product links are not set to "rel=nofollow" and how do I do that? is it just an addin to the url line / where?
    ...www.dpbolvw.net/click-xxxxxx-10538037?url=...

ok got a quick tutorial on adding the nofollow to a link - OMG thank you, thank you!!

Somewhere in your code, there is a line that generates the following:

www.dpbolvw.net/click-xxxxxx-10538037?url=... ">click to buy

Change it to:
    www.dpbolvw.net/click-xxxxxx-10538037?url=... " rel=nofollow">click to buy

Good that you found it!

It might not make a difference right now, but I suggest you restart Apache (or restart your domain) to clear the offending bot.

Hmmm.

"nofollow" shouldn't stop anything. "nofollow" was created by the Google so it would know you do not want to pass link juice to the link OR that you wanted to indentify it as a paid and/or affiliate link.

However, restarting Apache would be a good idea - that will break any connections...

I realize "nofollow" wouldn't stop the immediate clickthrough now, but it's a good practice to put in place, on the off-chance it's an innocent bot.

Worst case scenario, if there is no direct access to restart Apache (ie. shared hosting), then temporarily rename the database - that will break the link altogether.

ok i am madly adding the nofollow as i am writing this - my sites are hosted by lunar and i don't think i can just restart apache? are you suggesting i take my site offline and then bring it back online? i am afraid i don't understand..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I realize "nofollow" wouldn't stop the immediate clickthrough now, but it's a good practice to put in place, on the off-chance it's an innocent bot.

Worst case scenario, if there is no direct access to restart Apache (ie. shared hosting), then temporarily rename the database - that will break the link altogether.
    "nofollow" shouldn't stop any bot anytime - the tag "nofollow" is a misnomer. It doesn't tell any bot to not follow a link - it only tells the Google you are acknowledging you do not want to pass any link juice for whatever reason, including it's a paid and/or affiliate link. Even the Google will still "follow" the link (and as I said, the "nofollow" was created by the Google).

Abigail, if you can't restart Apache then you may want to try and take your site offline for a few minutes. I don't have any advice on a shared server but Teezone's advice on renaming the db sounds logical...

I think you need to take your site offline to stop the crawling..

It could damage the reputation of your account with CJ, which is more important than an hour or two of downtime during a very slow period!

I would just break the link to your database (edit the database name in your config file), that will kill the crawling.. then fix it in approx 30 minutes.

24. Thanks From:

From what I understand, bots shouldn't be crawling a "nofollow" link..

rel="nofollow" - Webmaster Tools Help

Having said that, what G says they do, and what they actually do can be two different things!

From what I understand, bots shouldn't be crawling a "nofollow" link..

rel="nofollow" - Webmaster Tools Help

Having said that, what G says they do, and what they actually do can be two different things!

In general, we don't follow them. This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links. Essentially, using nofollow causes us to drop the target links from our overall graph of the web. However, the target pages may still appear in our index if other sites link to them without using nofollow, or if the URLs are submitted to Google in a Sitemap. Also, it's important to note that other search engines may handle nofollow in slightly different ways.

Google states that their engine takes "nofollow" literally and does not "follow" the link at all. However, experiments conducted by SEOs show conflicting results. These studies reveal that Google does follow the link, but it does not index the linked-to page, unless it was in Google's index already for other reasons
    Source: nofollow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have "nofollow" on our jump links - and have seen bots show up in logs, including the Google, following those links...

I would just break the link to your database (edit the database name in your config file), that will kill the crawling.. then fix it in approx 30 minutes.
    if it was that easy..i use the feed but i build manually from the feed and so don't use a database / config file - but i can take my site offline for a few hours - however the last time this happened on another site I have, with a different merchant, and I did go down for 24hrs working with CJ compliance it did not stop and was determined the link was hijacked, I never did get an explanation, had to cancel the PID and have a new one issued..in the meantime the new pages with the nofollow have been uploaded and I will take the site down until the morning.

I did find this on a SEO site in my info seeking:
    "But for the most part adding a rel=nofollow to a link will prevent a spider from leaving your site to visit the link's location and this can be done for masked or unmasked links."

Happy New Year everyone and thanks so much for all of your help tonight!

What affiliate was driving the clicks?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

per my first post - 6pm.com - traffic did finally stop at just below 82,000 clicks and only after I finally took the site offline - I guess nothing will really be resolved until I can confer with CJ compliance for an IP, as there is nothing suspicious showing up at the webhost or with the securelive service I have protecting that account.

ok just brought the site back online and we shall see what happens...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast