Connecticut Affiliates Unite!
    Hello! I am new here, just joined a few minutes ago to see what's going on with the annoying affiliate tax law. Is there a group actively fighting it that I can join?? I am in the process of gathering information to approach Steve Mikutel my district State Rep. I am becoming increasingly frustrated with being denied affiliation because I live in Connecticut!!! UGH. Any information would be greatly appreciated as to what has been going on since the law was passed. Thanks!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar

Thanks for the leads!! I have no money at this time to join any groups. I did fill out automated emails with my inquiries and probably won't hear back. Couldn't find a way to contact each woman specifically. ... Still feeling frustrated. Thanks anyway!

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    For whatever it's worth, international merchants usually still accept affiliates in states like CT, so perhaps you might be able to find some of those programs you can join.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    For whatever it's worth, international merchants usually still accept affiliates in states like CT, so perhaps you might be able to find some of those programs you can join.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I write for a 'made in the USA' blog, so I that would be interesting...but could work. Thanks

It is still possible to use an international merchant who offers US made products. You'd just have to identify which of their products fits your criteria. Sorry it has to be tougher on you, but I do understand. We have a form of the legislation in Colorado - we had to fight very hard to have affiliates removed as the source of nexus.

If you are meeting with your legislator, suggest they reconsider whether the bill is generating the revenue expected, or causing more harm. We did that in Colorado, and even though the repeal passed in the House and died in the Senate, we did find out that instead of collecting $5MM the state only collected $20,000 in the previous fiscal year. That's been a powerful fact to have.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    If you can afford to do it even at the $99 level, the PMA membership is worth investing in. We're fighting big businesses here with well funded lobbying efforts and any support we can get helps.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Wade is exactly right! The PMA is fighting - their lawsuit in Colorado was successful, and as an industry we won in Illinois too. That sets precedence for other states, so use it when you talk to your state legislators.

Affiliate Nexus Tax in Connecticut
    Connecticut passed an Affiliate Nexus Tax law in 2011. As a result, about 1,000 retailers won't work with CT-based affiliates. At this point, our best chance of reversal is the passage of federal legislation that will make these state-based laws moot (9 states have passed them). We have a good shot of passage in 2013, although we're behind a lot of the political controversies so it's anyone's guess at this point if and when these will pass.

Wade - thanks for the props, yes we need as many members as we can muster to keep going. So far 76,000 affiliates have been harmed, and we need more members to be able to keep up the fight.

More info can be found at Performance Marketing Association | Your Voice Matters. Be Heard.. Membership info is there too!

Rebecca
    Rebecca Madigan
    Executive Director | Performance Marketing Association
    o: 805.445.9700 (PST)

11. Thanks From:

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I would LOVE to join the PMA, but right now (after the holidays) the extra mula is just NOT in my budget, especially when I am struggling with making said extra money off what I love doing!!! I am very involved with my local government and have the umph (and I am pretty sure the backing from other non-affiliate related groups both local and national) to fight this and I will. I am looking for other affiliates in CT to get support/info from and was wondering if there are any affiliate groups based out of the state. I applaud all the work the PMA has done. I wish I was blogging actively BEFORE this law was passed so I could have helped stop it!!

14. Thanks From:

Arrow
    Fantastic information for the Tri-State area - Thanks Chuck!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread