Help for a Newbie
    I have a blog advising consumers on how to save money when shopping for household products, clothes, electronics and travel. On my blog I have affiliate ads running from Commission Junction, Google Affiliate and Linkshare. I also have a Clickbank account.

How do I successfully drive traffic to my site? What will make those that visit my site want to click on my affiliate ads? I have visits to my site but it seems as most come from my posts on Facebook. I put up tweets using Twitter but I am new to Twitter so I do not think I am using it effectively.

Last I want to build an email marketing campaign which may help with my success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yours in Savings,

MFrugalista

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You can work ongoing on SEO to get organic ranking but that can take months and years. You can pay for traffic with paid search but be careful you know what you are doing as you can lose money.

We always advise affiliates to create opt-in newsletters and use a service like Constant Contact. You would be surprised at how many will sign-up and you can remarket to them weekly.

3. Thanks From:

Chuck just gave a couple of great pointers

You can find posts related to your question if you use the search box
    and if you read the posts in the sub forum:
    Newbie FAQs & Helpful Articles - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by MFrugalista View Post
    How do I successfully drive traffic to my site? What will make those that visit my site want to click on my affiliate ads?
    Website design and the viewer's response to the blog/webpage/website is an ongoing process of learning. Here are three articles that may help you; also
    note the articles they cite:

Website Creation Tips That Put You On The Path To Success | Technology Articles

Overhaul Your Site With These Website Creation Tips | Technology Articles

Web Page Design Tips That Put You On The Path To Success | Technology Articles

There are many variables including the type of content.
    If you think that your blog/site looks good, then how is the copywriting?

Your topics include "how to save money when shopping for household products, clothes, electronics and travel" are you jumbling all of these together? How is your presentation of topics?
    Have you thought about narrowing down the topics to the ones you can write up/present best? Or are you attempting too much too soon?
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 3rd, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Enter a topic into any search engine and I bet an affiliate site will show.
    What type of things make another site appealing in the presentation of items for sale?

If you are a small blogger/affiliate you really need to inject personality into your pages in order to attract traffic and to convert the sales

You might also want to look into psychology & color combinations.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thank you for the advice Chuck

Thank you for the words of advice and suggestions Rhia7

Rhia7,

Actually I focus on one category per post. My last two posts focused on saving $ when booking particular types of vacations such as cruises, last minute getaways. The post around holidays focused on tips for saving money when holiday shopping and i included links to promo codes to save when shopping at particular websites and brick and mortar stores

Chuck,

Are you saying that I should create an opt-in newsletter in addition to my blog? So by creating an email list of subscribers to my newsletter the same subscribers may in turn regularly visit my blog.

You need to add a newsletter sign-up to your blog for two reasons. When you write a new post they can be notified and when you have a promotion you can email them. You can easily incorporate affiliate links into your newsletter.

12. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    You can easily incorporate affiliate links into your newsletter.
    Check with your merchant's before partaking in newsletter marketing - some allow allow it, some do not, most will if you explain your marketing efforts...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Check with your merchant's before partaking in newsletter marketing - some allow allow it, some do not, most will if you explain your marketing efforts...
    Also sign-up for your merchants newsletter so you get promos soonest. Then ask if you can re-use their images/copy for your newsletters.

15. Thanks From:

My mommy blogger crowd loves giveaways, reviews and coupons. The best ones post lots of useful information without monetizing to get them hooked on the latest stuff. Then they subscribe to all social media and eat up the deals. In that crowd, it's all about building trust and loyalty. Give them what they want every day.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

17. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    The best ones post lots of useful information without monetizing to get them hooked on the latest stuff. Then they subscribe to all social media and eat up the deals.
    Great tip to offer something without necessarily monetizing it.

When you say "they subscribe to all social media ..." are you saying that
    you encourage affiliates to offer things for sale over let's say Twitter,
    Facebook, or other popular social media programs? I wouldn't offer
    products or services for sale over let's say Twitter, but I would use social
    media to interest people in my blog[s] and/or site[s].
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Fans of the site subscribe to social media. The blogger talks about the deal and points back to the blog post. Some will post affiliate links in social media but check with the affiliate manager first to make sure it is allowed.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

20. Thanks From:

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread