Just starting off
    Hi, I was just wondering... Would I be better off to create my own website to post my affiliate links on, or are sites like Blogger.com and Wordpress alirght? I am a Vet tech and a personal trainer so I was going to write weekly about different topics in those areas. Also, I am not sure how to incorperate affiliate links with this one, but I think it may help people cope.... In July my son was born 16 weeks early. He was in the hospital 91 days, it was 3 weeks before I could hold him for the first time. Some ideas on how to make this as successful as possible would be great. I am considering getting my own website, but I am not sure if this is the right path to start marketing. Thank you for your time.

Yep, get your own website. Never rely on free things you'll never know what will happen tomorrow. For instance, at the moment people are complaining about getting blocked on Facebook because of sharing too much links. But with your own website you do whatever you want, whenever.

Use these other free stuff for traffic and backlinks as you'll never know what will happen tomorrow.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Definitely get your own URL, don't count on Wordpress.com or Blogger.com to permit you to do whatever you want. Plus, you can spend a lot of time trying to optimize, only to optimize their sites instead of yours. Fortunately domains and hosting can be quite reasonable.

There are several groups of Mommy bloggers who share their personal experiences, and many other families find this helpful, supportive and inspirational. Sharing yours would be great to help others going through what you just did. I like BloggyMoms.com to see what everyone is doing.

I know both ShareASale and Affiliate Window have "getting started" information available for folks new to the networks, so that might help you as well with learning how to be an affiliate. I don't think that there are any Affiliate Summit meetups in Kansas, but in checking Meetup.com, I did find some groups that may be good to network with.

Hope Eli is doing well now!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

So what would be the best way to go about posting affliliate links on my own web page?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Did you mean from a tech standpoint, or which merchant programs should you choose?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Look in the email notice from this post and you will see a coupon for a Free Hosting Account with WebHostingBuzz. You will need to purchase a domain but can get one cheep. Install WordPress on your hosting account and get started.

As far as getting links, I have a ClickBank and LinkShare accounts, with links I like. I guess I am just wondering, how easy is it to get links posted where you want them on the page? Can I make certain words in the article linked to and affiliate link? Like if I am doing and article about fleas and ticks and I am promoting the product Frontline, when I mention the product can I make it to where the word Frontline can be clicked on?

This is my situation: I want to be as successful as possible as quickly as possible. I had to quit my job last summer because my son was born 16 weeks early. He was just at what is considered "viable" and spent 91 days in a hospital 5 hours away from home (thankfuly there was a Ronald McDonald House we could stay at). He had a 39% chance of survival at birth. His immune system is very weak and will be for at least 2 years, meaning he cannot be around other children, ruling out daycare and the hopes of returning to my job as a vet tech. Bills are piling up, and I need to generate income from home. I love to write, and I am passionate about animals and fitness, so I thought writing informative articles and incorperating affiliate links in them would be an enjoyabe way for me to make money from home.

Thank you very much Chuck!
    Last edited by Eli'sMom; January 7th, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: misunderstood question

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
    I don't think that there are any Affiliate Summit meetups in Kansas, but in checking Meetup.com, I did find some groups that may be good to network with.
    Meetup.com is a great resource - when I moved a couple years ago, I searched for the affiliate marketing meetups in my area and was able to get immersed in the community quickly.

In the event there is nothing currently happening, you could always start one. You never know - there may be people in your area who want to go to an affiliate marketing meetup, but they haven't started one themselves.

It could be as simple as meeting people monthly in a coffee shop to chat about things.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread