Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Affiliate Summit - Advice for Newbies
    Lots of folks are attending Affiliate Summit for the first time, which can seem overwhelming. I would like to invite all us old-timers to share pointers to help them make the most of their first Summit.

My favorite suggestions are:

1. Bring lots of business cards (yes, at least a couple hundred!)
    2. Bring a ball-point pen, because felt-tip won't write on coated stock
    3. Take notes on business cards right after the conversation is finished
    4. Wear something with two pockets - one for the cards you are giving away, one for the cards you are collecting.

Other suggestions?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    4. Wear something with two pockets - one for the cards you are giving away, one for the cards you are collecting.
    I wear Dockers and have one pocket for incoming cards and with my cards. Give a card to everyone you speak with, you never know when they will circle back. I get all of my business through referrals and affiliate I have met at Summit have become top producers.

Here's another thing about Summit.

All the badges are color coded, purple for affiliates, orange for networks, etc. But don't assume that the coding is right. People frequently register as the wrong type of attendee, or they do more than one thing. So don't dismiss someone based on badge coding. Make a point to talk to everyone you can, even if only for 30 seconds, because you never know if there's a possible business connection until you do.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

4. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Good point, some of the CPA networks sign-up as affiliate, network and agency just so they can approach everyone. Networking is networking and you should be able to talk to anyone but target those that you want.

There is an ad in the latest FeedFront allowing anyone to report someone using someone else's badge to cut down on scamming. Not sure if we can report someone with an in-proper title.

I've also seen many people who chose badge type "Affiliate" because it came up first alphabetically! Or because they thought it would give them the chance to talk to more people.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    There is an ad in the latest FeedFront allowing anyone to report someone using someone else's badge to cut down on scamming. Not sure if we can report someone with an in-proper title.
    We're trying to combat fraudulent badges.

When it comes to attendee types, some networks are affiliates and/or employees have their own affiliate sites.

I am not sure how we could police this, since anybody with their own site with one affiliate link is an affiliate.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

8. Thanks From:

I think it makes it fun getting to talk to people. Doesn't bother me that they may be wearing the wrong badge or be more than one badge type!

Fraud badges does make me mad, though. Affiliate Summit badges are quite affordable, especially if you buy them in advance. No reason for fraud, other than just being bad.

Make a point to talk to everyone you can, even if only for 30 seconds
    I see some of the greatest, craziest, well thought out, poorly planned ideas in the world at these things. That is what is exciting about affiliate marketing, it is a great crucible for new ideas. We are bringing some first timers from our marketing team, I am telling them to get ready to meet some real characters, and some unsung geniuses.

When I come to events like these I always channel my inner Kramer:
    "...then what's in the briefcase?" -Jerry
    "Crackers, in case I get hungry." - Kramer

You will be doing a lot of walking, last thing you want to do is talk to someone and be in a bad mood because you haven't had a chance to grab some food.

11. Thanks From:

1. Comfortable shoes are a must. You are going to be on the move the entire time.

2. Talk to anyone that approaches you to chat. Whether you find them relevant or not sometimes these chats can get you connected with others that may be of real value!
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

If you are attending sessions, make sure to leave time in your schedule to visit the Meet Market and Show floor. Determine which sessions you must attend and which would be okay to listen to later. Remember, not all Meet Market exhibitors will have trade show booths, so make time on both Sunday and either Monday or Tuesday.

Another pre-summit you may want to start doing immediately is pounding the vitamins and airborne etc. Vegas is not fun if you are ill.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXreader View Post
    Another pre-summit you may want to start doing immediately is pounding the vitamins and airborne etc. Vegas is not fun if you are ill.
    I bought some Airborne Blast of Vitamin C today.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

My wife is a teacher and she downs that stuff during the flu season. Costco makes alot of money off us...

Water is your friend. Don't pass up your chance at a water bottle. Whether it's keeping yourself hydrated so you don't get sick, having one handy while you are talking in case you get a tickle in your throat, or downing one after alcohol to prevent a hangover, you can't go wrong with a couple of spare water bottles.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread