Setting up new site
    I am in the process of making my own website. It is about my preemie son and will tell his story of things that went on in the hospital and now he is doing now. Should I use our real first names on the site? I am not going to use our last names, you never know what kind of freaks are out there, but I didn't know if I should change mine and my husband's names?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks a tough question. We had friends close by who son had a rare intestinal disease that took years to diagnosis, he almost died from not being able to eat. The mom wrote a book available on Amazon about it and used their full names. Its a matter if you want privacy or not. Perhaps others can comment.

If you do decide on privacy, make sure to make your domain registration private as well.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Although it's good to be careful, do you think you will become so popular that someone will want to stalk you? It didn't come out right. Don't expect tons of traffic to your site other then people with similar stories who can relay to you. You don't have to use your real name if you don't want to. Or use it. It's not that big of a deal.
    Since you are a little on a cautious side make sure to purchase a privacy for your domain name. Quite often people overlook the value of that service.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli'sMom View Post
    I am in the process of making my own website. It is about my preemie son and will tell his story of things that went on in the hospital and now he is doing now. Should I use our real first names on the site? I am not going to use our last names, you never know what kind of freaks are out there, but I didn't know if I should change mine and my husband's names?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    This isn't a simple question. Remember, Google does penalize you for hiding your info on domain registration. Additionally, many networks and merchants do not like working with an affiliate who hides behind that tactic. Makes you seem suspicious.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Hi Mom..

I used to use a pen first name without a last name, on the Internet.

The awkwardness came when I met pp at conferences and events or even over the phone. I was always explaining. And it seemed that folks who were not familiar with the Internet, or pen names for that matter, thought it was strange.

Obviously this is a personal choice.

But I think you'll be OK with real first names only.

NOTE >>> Make sure you get WHOIS on your domain name though or pp can see your name, address, telephone number and email address.

FYI, I recommend WHOIS on all domains no matter what you're doing. For example, even on my domain with real first and last name, I have the privacy WHOIS cuz I don't want my PO Box and email, etc. out there for the world to see.

darlene
    p.s. I now use my real first name.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread