How to add affiliate links to different merchant webpages?
    I like on the amazon affiliate program that you can simply click the "link to page" in the toolbar and you can get an affiliated link to any page on the amazon website.

I'm curious if anyone knows how to place their affiliate link after other merchant webpages. For example on commission junction when I go to get links most of mine are to the homepages on certain websites, how can I make a link to lets say, the clearance section, or specific page on a merchants website?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In CJ specifically the merchant needs to allow deep linking then you can select the destination URL and go to any page on the site. If they don't have that available and won't/can't allow you to deep link then ask then to make category links.

Your other option is to utilize a datafeed.

smadison: look at the ads available for the merchant in CJ -- some take the visitor to a specific section.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Your other option is to utilize a datafeed.
    Datafeed? Tell me more.

I'm curious because I just read in the "What link types are available in the CJ Network?" page on CJ it said that merchants need to approve deep linking to a specific page before posting. I know from experience that affiliate managers usually take awhile to respond to requests - and in some cases a really long time! For coupon and deals websites timing is key and a deal that may be available one minute might be sold out or out of stock the next. In the time that it would take an affiliate marketer who owns one of these sites the time to write their manager and request a deep link to a specific page the deal would probably be sold out or expired, so it makes me think that have some way around it (ethical of course, i'm not talking coupon code sites like coupon cabin or retail me not)

Is this just CJ? I noticed when checking some of the links on coupon and deals websites that they are affiliate links to specific pages and the affiliate programs that they were using were the google affiliate network and shareasale.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Coupons, deal sites, price comparison sites, etc. are automated using datafeeds.

Every network has datafeeds. Some require permission from the merchant and/or network to gain FTP or automated access to them.

Datafeeds contain all of the merchant's products they offer through their affiliate program. Majority of feeds are crap - either poorly categorized or rarely/never updated...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

if you are willing to do this manually, you can do this quickly with viglink and skimlinks.

first, verify that the merchant is participating with viglink / skimlinks. they both have a way to check merchant participation.

both have a system to affilate-ize a link. this can be a deep link or a merchant home page link.

takes just a few seconds.
    The internet is a fad.

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    if you are willing to do this manually, you can do this quickly with viglink and skimlinks.
    I'm a member of viglinks. Skimlinks I applied to about a week 1/2 ago and they still haven't gotten back to me I just emailed them last night to ask about the status of my application so i'm hoping that speeds things up. I'm confused by viglinks because I don't really understand their commission rates. I have some links on my website that viglinks doesn't seem to be affiliated with (at least, when I search in their "merchant search bar") but then if I click on the links they appear to be affiliated with him. So essentially I would not be receiving a commission but they possibly would? Then there's ebay. I wrote a post recently about free kindle ebook and viglinks automatically affiliated the word kindle - but then it took the link to ebay auctions for kindle. When I search for ebay in the merchant search they have no commission rate.

Sorry to pull that off topic, but i'm really confused by them!

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Coupons, deal sites, price comparison sites, etc. are automated using datafeeds.

Every network has datafeeds. Some require permission from the merchant and/or network to gain FTP or automated access to them.

Datafeeds contain all of the merchant's products they offer through their affiliate program. Majority of feeds are crap - either poorly categorized or rarely/never updated...
    Okay. Still confused by datafeeds also. I guess i'm not talking traditional coupon code sites or price comparison sites that update automatically. I'm talking about more "savings blogs" that find good deals all over the web and then post those deals individually on their website when they come up. So if they see a good groupon they'll post about that or a good deal in the clearance section of an online store.

So how exactly would one go about using a datafeed?

You asked, "How can I make a link to lets say, the clearance section, or specific page on a merchants website?"

That is the question I was responding to. I will address viglink, since you are a member there.

I was suggesting that you could use the viglink MANUAL linking system for an affiliate-ized deep link.

1) get the url of the deep link you want.

2) go to the viglink "link wrapper" page VigLink - Log In and "wrap" your deep link url.

3) paste the resulting *wrapped, affiliate-ized* link on your webpage.

done!

----------------------------

When I search for ebay in the merchant search they have no commission rate.
    ebay uses their own secret formula for commissions. there is no standard percentage.
    The internet is a fad.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smadison View Post
    Okay. Still confused by datafeeds also. I guess i'm not talking traditional coupon code sites or price comparison sites that update automatically. I'm talking about more "savings blogs" that find good deals all over the web and then post those deals individually on their website when they come up. So if they see a good groupon they'll post about that or a good deal in the clearance section of an online store.
    Without some sort of automation then there wouldn't be a way for the site owner to get commissions.

So how exactly would one go about using a datafeed?
    That's a bit more complicated, there are some threads on ABW about datafeeds. Unfortunately, not something that is learned or necessarily implemented "overnight".

Some affiliates manually download datafeeds and some have it fully automatic. Some simply cut and paste links from the datafeeds (which are deep links to products) and some fully automate a merchant's feed into their site. This usually requires software and a database.

Worth learning about datafeeds - will take some time...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    I was suggesting that you could use the viglink MANUAL linking system for an affiliate-ized deep link.

1) get the url of the deep link you want.

2) go to the viglink "link wrapper" page VigLink - Log In and "wrap" your deep link url.

3) paste the resulting *wrapped, affiliate-ized* link on your webpage.

done!
    Wow. I actually hadn't thought of that but it works perfectly and allows me to deep link to pages within sites without using a datafeed. Thank you! I also just got accepted into skimlinks - is it the same though them as with viglink?

glad to help.

I also just got accepted into skimlinks - is it the same though them as with viglink?
    your turn.

since you know what to look for, now is the time for you to go to skimlinks, explore their features, and come back and tell everyone how to do a similar technique with skimlinks.
    The internet is a fad.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread