Trademark in domain question
    Hi,
    I started working on a website back in December about a professional sports team. So far it only has team merchandise for sale through affiliate networks. I don't have the teams logo on my site design. I only display 300x300 images of the products I'm promoting. The image obviously is going to have the team logo somewhere on the product. My mistake was that I purchased a domain with one of the teams trademark, I just added an extra word. I found out you can't do that. For example lets say the trademark was "Roaches Nation" and i purchased a domain for "theonlyroachesnation". That's not allowed right? So what if I bought a domain like "OnlyOneNation" I'm afraid since "Roaches Nation" has nation in it, will I still be in trouble?

Cool
    you might try talking to the affiliate manager or the OPM for that team or league. If you can get permission to use that domain in writing you are set.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I agree!

I personally don't see a conflict between "Roaches Nation" and a domain name "OnlyOneNation" -- I doubt Roaches Nation could claim a trademark on the word "nation."

But I also have never done a website with a domain name that uses any part of a merchant's name that I was an affiliate for.

I would suspect Herb and Chuck (both far more experienced and successful at all phases of affiliate marketing than I) have given you the best advice.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

I agree with Herb and Chuck. Reach out to the affiliate manager or OPM. I think it's always the right thin to err on the side of caution.

That's not allowed right? So what if I bought a domain like "OnlyOneNation" I'm afraid since "Roaches Nation" has nation in it, will I still be in trouble?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevvin View Post
    That's not allowed right? So what if I bought a domain like "OnlyOneNation" I'm afraid since "Roaches Nation" has nation in it, will I still be in trouble?
    Depends on the classification of the Trademark. If "Roaches Nation" is marketing say, cars and you are marketing underwear, there wouldn't be an issue. The issue comes when you're marketing like or confusingly similar products/services.

Pick a different domain that has no chance of confusion. Make it your own brand...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread