Banned
    Please help out a newbie:
    Hi. I'm running a website in a country outside of US where users share products of purchase interest. (something like Pinterest. products shared are usually from US sites) As a publisher/publishing platform provider, I thought it would make sense for me to look into affiliate marketing and I really need some help on a few questions:

Q1) Automated link generation:: It seems something like Skimlinks/VigLink which automatically converts user-generated links would make most sense. (My traffic isn't big enough to partner with SkimLink but VigLink seems fine.) Because I am new to affiliate marketing, I am curious why someone would prefer a network like SAS over something like VigLink. I just want to make sure I am not missing something critical, blinded by convenience.

Q2) Conflict with copyright:: is a constant area of concern. Although, the website's purpose is to share product-related images that is free of copyright infringement, some users may still encroach copyright. From both content generator and advertiser's views, is Pinterest's take on copyright adequate?

Q3) Coupons:: How are coupons tied into affiliate marketing? This is a concept I am just not getting. If I subscribe to FMTC, do I just get a data feed of coupon/sale info which is unrelated to any affiliate mktg program? So how does one justify a $500+/month investment? Or do people map affiliate marketing datafeed with coupon datafeed? How does this work??

rollingjin: Welcome to ABW!
    you may have to wait a while for answers as many of the members here are at an affiliate conference. and, I don't make coupon/comparison sites myself.

3. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thank you for the welcome and notice. I will try to be patient

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Okay, we're all getting back from Affiliate Summit now, and those of us who aren't sick with colds, the flu, strep throat, pneumonia, etc. are starting to look at posts.

I can only speak from my experience, but we have several affiliates working through Viglink and they are enjoying success. Definitely worth consideration. Skimlinks does well too, so as they say at the Conversion Conference, test, test, test. Start with one and see what it does.

Most affiliate networks offer datafeeds with automatically updated coupon information. This has proven quite successful for affiliates. Check out what is available from a couple of different networks (my network is big in the UK and Europe), see what they can offer you and how easy each is to work with, before you proceed with a costly investment. FMTC knows their stuff, but to get the most value, you need to know your stuff first too.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

It's all about convenience. You post a coupon on your site and next to it you post your affiliated link so when user comes and discovers the coupon he or she clicks on the link to go use it and bam, you get commish.
    Some websites out there require you to click on the link to reveal the coupon and when he or she clicks you get a commission.

Also some affiliates offer a custom coupons so when someone use the particular coupon you get the commission.

Quote Originally Posted by rollingjin View Post

Q3) Coupons:: How are coupons tied into affiliate marketing? This is a concept I am just not getting. If I subscribe to FMTC, do I just get a data feed of coupon/sale info which is unrelated to any affiliate mktg program? So how does one justify a $500+/month investment? Or do people map affiliate marketing datafeed with coupon datafeed? How does this work??

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Also some affiliates offer a custom coupons so when someone use the particular coupon you get the commission.
    Actually merchants offer a custom (exclusive) coupon.

Some websites out there require you to click on the link to reveal the coupon and when he or she clicks you get a commission.
    A purchase has to made to get a commission from a click. Some coupon affiliates are requiring the consumer to click their link to see the coupon even when the coupon is expired. That is effecting the whole channel and why we are seeing some big merchants reducing the commissions to 1 or 2%. They know consumers are looking for coupons and won't purchase without the the coupon affiliate isn't the first introducer. Its called attribution and there have been panels at the last two Summits. We need better tracking as program managers to sort this whole thing out. Content review affiliates are getting screwed and driven out of business which is not good for the affiliate channel.

:-)
    Yes of course purchase have to be made. What I meant is to see coupon visitor is required to click on the link to 'reveal' the coupon...along with pop-under or simple reload to the site so once cookie is set it is pretty much guaranteed commission. Unless visitor clicks another link and cookie gets over-written.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Actually merchants offer a custom (exclusive) coupon.

A purchase has to made to get a commission from a click.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread