Google - not updating index?
    I patched some duplicate content back in early December (using a proper 301), but haven't seen ONE change in Google when I perform a "site:domain.com/oldurl" search. It impacts 15% of my site, and is pretty key to a recovery.

My new content has been indexed, and crawling continues at a decent pace, but there seems to be a "sameness" in the index for the past 5 weeks.. I don't see a change in the old URL count at all... not a one. The cached versions are stuck between November 2-15th.

Has anyone else noticed G seems to be static..?

I was wondering the same thing until a couple weeks ago. One of my sites was flat-lining for several weeks beginning mid-late Nov. (from may on the "index status" chart in webmaster tools), even though new content was being published.

Finally, just in the last couple weeks, I've seen the chart update and the new pages get added to the index.

Not sure the reason for the lag or if the 2 issues are related but definitely was noticing some abnormal activity as it relates to G's indexing.
    Your Ad Here.

3. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I patched some duplicate content back in early December (using a proper 301), but haven't seen ONE change in Google when I perform a "site:domain.com/oldurl" search. It impacts 15% of my site, and is pretty key to a recovery.

My new content has been indexed, and crawling continues at a decent pace, but there seems to be a "sameness" in the index for the past 5 weeks.. I don't see a change in the old URL count at all... not a one. The cached versions are stuck between November 2-15th.

Has anyone else noticed G seems to be static..?
    We know the Google takes FOREVER to drop old URLs...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

It's getting ridiculous... I don't understand why 1000+ URLS are cached from November when they have been crawling my site like a bat out of hell... it's very frustrating.

When I use the "site:" parameter for the particular (indexed) sub-folder, the top-ranked urls have a cache date of Jan 5, 2013. But rewritten ones are just not going away.

I'm worried about taking a misstep while waiting for these changes to be picked up.

Honestly now questioning if any of this is worth it..

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    It's getting ridiculous... I don't understand why 1000+ URLS are cached from November when they have been crawling my site like a bat out of hell... it's very frustrating.

When I use the "site:" parameter for the particular (indexed) sub-folder, the top-ranked urls have a cache date of Jan 5, 2013. But rewritten ones are just not going away.

I'm worried about taking a misstep while waiting for these changes to be picked up.

Honestly now questioning if any of this is worth it..
    If the old URLs are properly redirected and showing the proper header response code of 301, AND new pages are being indexed, then I would say you don't have any problems.

It's when your URLs are being removed from the index AND you are no longer having new pages indexed that you have a problem.

Smile and be happy...
    Last edited by Convergence; January 17th, 2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread